Kampung Baru Raya Evening Easy Stroll

0 Comments
Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri to all my Muslim friends who are celebrating this incredibly beautiful festival. Maaf Zahir dan Batin. 

My friends and I decided to take a short evening walk along Kampung Baru, a Malay village settlement located right smacked in the middle of the city, just adjacent to the metropolitan Kuala Lumpur City Center. This is also my frequent street hunting grounds. Our primary objective was just to observe the festive celebrations by the residents there and document whatever we can, without being intrusive. Everyone in Kampung Baru was super joyous. I brought along the Olympus OM-D E-M1 and M.Zuiko 25mm F1.8, which is the perfect combo for this photowalk. I captured a mix of the surrounding environment, with human elements in the frames. The cloudy weather added to the overall atmosphere, and made the walk a little more bearable, as we have had quite a bad heat wave hitting Malaysia in the past several weeks. 

Hari Raya Aidilfitri is the largest festive celebration in Malaysia. Though Eid is a Muslim celebration, we do it with our own style here. Everyone dressed up in traditional costumes and looked their best for the festive days. They will visit each other's houses, all prepared with scrumptious feasts. We even got invited to one of the houses for a feast! Unfortunately, the invite came at the start of our walk, so we wanted to explore the area and have some shutter action first before sitting down for dinner. It was a pleasant walk, and definitely invoked some nostalgia in me, as me and my friends back in my high school days, used to visit Malay Muslim friends during Raya too. Such good, old times. 

Here are some of my curated shots (cut down to 10), Raya at Kampung Baru 2024. 

Typical scene in Kampung Baru, with tall gigantic KLCC towering over the village 

A family gathering, taking a group photo

Sky was overcast, providing a moody atmosphere. It made our walk more pleasant

Portraits of young Malay Men donned in traditional Baju Melayu 

A lady fully dressed up for festivities in her bike out of the house

Motorbike is a common transport medium here in Malaysia. 

Another family taking a group photograph after a gathering

I moved in and got my own shot of the group photo. 

Hari Raya is a very Malaysian celebration, though Eid is a Muslim celebration, we do it in your own style

A typical scene of Kampung Baru, old, wooden house structures with concrete jungle in the background. 


Please support me & keep this site going:


No comments: