Shoot What You Love

1 Comments
I find it really strange seeing so many photographers worrying about not being good enough. They measure their success through the likes and engagement rate on social media platforms, and when they don't get enough validation, they go down the spiral of misery and depression like it is the end of the world. I understand the importance of having an audience, and I acknowledge that I have benefitted from the strong and supportive photography community over the years I have been involved in photography, and also blogging here. Without the kindness, generosity and help from many people reading this blog (or watching my YouTube videos) I won't be where I am today, so for that I am grateful. But never have I intentionally taken any photographs or created any content to please anyone else. I shoot, because I love shooting. I enjoy the process of photography. Therefore, I believe it is extremely crucial for a photographer to shoot what he (or she) loves, and not care too much about what others think. 

Image taken by Amir Shariff (IG @amirscamera)

Inevitably I think it is part of human nature to want to be seen and acknowledged. I think we want the glory and praise, to be rewarded for our hard work, and to be regarded as the winner. 

Therefore, photography groups and forums have seen more bloodshed than a warzone, and photo contests have become the epicenter of many dramas lately.  I stay away from any photo contests, groups or forums for this exact reason - I just don't have time for all this non-sense. 

Yes, I want my photos to be seen, I want people to like my photos, and if they do, that is awesome. If they don't, honestly, it is not the end of the world. I shoot for myself first. Of course I am speaking about photography as a personal pursuit, if you are entering the discussion of professional and commercial shoots, this can go to several very different directions, and let's not go there. If it is true that I shoot only for myself, the priority is to please my own judgment, and if that has been met, I should be happy with my own results. Others may have contrasting opinion, they often contribute anyway without invitation or permission, people love to say things as they please, they should not affect my love for my babies (images). 

I am sure you have heard stories like - people questioning the judges' decision on selecting the winning images - some would claim that they could do better, and the winners did not deserve to win, or how some images being selected for publications and exhibitions were just average and anyone could have produced better work. Why are so many photographers so bitter these days? When I pick up the camera to shoot, I want to enjoy the process of shooting, not linger in the misery of jealousy seeing other photographers' accomplishments. I can do without all these negativities. 

Why surrender your worth into another person's hands? 

Why let the judges decide whether your photographs are good enough or not? Why resent the winners of photo contests, or the achievements of other photographers? All this add nothing to you and your photography. And they also take nothing away from you. 

You should decide what your value is, and you should decide if you are good enough or not. If you think you are not good enough, then maybe spend more time working on yourself? Saying other people are not good enough won't make yourself any better. 

Unfortunately, we all love to compare. Who is wealthier. Who has better looks. Who has better looking wives, or bigger house, or better cars. Who is using the most expensive gear, which camera and lens is more impressive. We want a list of "accomplishments" to brag about. Who has more followers on Instagram? Who has more subscribers on YouTube? 

Funny, no one actually asks - who enjoys photography the most?

To me, when I pick up the camera, I want to have fun. Fun is the biggest priority for me. Anything else is a bonus. It is sad to see so many people in photography not actually having fun, and being miserable half of the time, trying to please the crowd, trying to seek validation from all the wrong places and not focusing to actually just enjoy the whole process. Why then did you shoot in the first place? What does photography mean to you? Why did you pick up the camera? To get more likes in Instagram? To get more people to call you Sifu? To be respected and be seen as the best photographer? 

Obsession is a very dangerous thing. I have seen many photographers so consumed by their addiction to success that they do some unforgiveable things to get their desired results. There was the report of photographers injecting air and forcing bits of Styrofoam into fish so they can float on the river for the eagles to catch, or people cutting down trees to get their ideal landscape shots, or photographers cutting open exotic flowers and plants so they can shoot close up of the inside, all the destructive actions and inhumane acts, just in the name of photography. To what end? 

I seriously don't understand why it is so important for some people to be seen better than others. Or why they want to make others look smaller than they are. 

As for me, I know my place - I don't care if my images win any contests or not (or else the kind of images I take would be very different). I don't even care about exhibitions or publications. What I do care is that I am able to do what I want, when I want, the way I want it, and truly be myself when I am doing my photography. That is worth more than any contest prize or prestigious awards in the world.  

You will see me floating around, on online sphere, or roaming around on the streets of Kuala Lumpur, popping up at events to say hi, but having seen what I have seen, and knowing all these horrible things about bitter people doing horrible things, what you won't see is me being involved with any groups or joining any party. 

I happily do my shutter therapy solo, and I just want to be left alone, playing with my camera, and petting the cat. 

If you don't shoot what you love, then why are you shooting in the first place?

So, please shoot what you love. 

Please support me & keep this site going:


1 comment: