B-Roll Images From South Africa Adventure

5 Comments
I believe in tight curation and only showing the best images. Therefore I have compiled my best images which were published on Ming Thein's site here and here. However, I do have some favourite shots for multiple reasons, which did not fit into the original editing process, hence I am throwing all of them into one single blog entry here. These are some images which could have been OK and I still quite like some of them. I thought a more extensive look to what I have shot as a whole could be interesting for those of you who do want to see the shots that made it, as well as those that I have consciously rejected. 

All images were shot with Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II and M.Zuiko PRO lenses 300mm F4 IS PRO, 40-150mm F2.8 PRO and sometimes MC14 1.4x teleconverter was used. 

The trip was organized by Olympus for their Olympus Visionary photographers from Asia Pacific regions. The location of shoot was Madikwe Game Reserve. I shall be blogging about the lodge we stayed in, the Tau Game Lodge in the coming blog post. 

I like the mother and child theme in this shot but somehow it seems a little empty. Not sure how to describe it, but I guess it does work better in black and white, drawing more attention to the zebra stripes. 

I wanted to capture the misty morning scene, which was quite interesting to witness in the desert like terrain of Madikwe Game Reserve. That morning must have been a little more humid than usual for the mist to happen. 

I have taken so many of the "backlit" shots of the cheetahs.

Not even sure what this animal is, but it is so cute!

Oh yes, more lions

This was one of my failed attempt to shoot a bird in flight, as the shutter speed was accidentally set too low. Not having sufficient experience shooting birds, I thought 1/500 sec was sufficient to freeze motion. I learned quickly I needed must faster shutter speed. 

There were so many colorful birds! I could do one whole blog entry on birds alone. 

More birds

This was probably the most beautiful bird I have seen in my whole life. That long red tail flows gentry as the bird flies. 

Symbiotic relationship. 

I wished the first zebra did not walk that far ahead leaving that much empty space between him and the next zebra. 

I even have this idea of making everything black and white for my blog entry here. You know, just for the fun of it. 

A rhinoceros. Can't believe they are being endangered. Such gentle beasts. 

More shots of the misty morning

That place has this unique beauty

Lion in the bush



An edible looking rabbit


An edible looking chicken 

Cheetah

Waiting patiently. 


Gorgeous sunset over the horizon


5 comments:

  1. Great set Robin!

    Can I ask - which lens did you use for the 4th last photo of the Cheetah on a mound? There is a really nice pop to the image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That was a 40-150mm F2.8 PRO M.Zuiko lens. A great lens it is.

      Delete
  2. The small animal you don't know the name of is commonly called a "Dassie" in South Africa, but the real name is a "Rock Rabbit" or "Rock Hyrax".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the identification! It is just so round and adorable!

      Delete