The Long Game

0 Comments
I started doing photography more seriously in the year 2008, when I just arrived in Kuala Lumpur. I got my first DSLR, the Olympus E-410 (which was stolen from me) and subsequently the E-520, and I started exploring the vast and beautiful world of photography. I have had a running blog at that time, which slowly transformed into a photography blog, where I share my weekend adventures capturing new images, and I also wrote about the challenges that I have faced and the lessons I have learned. I continued doing my shutter therapy consistently, week after week, year after year, and I still have the same fire I had 16 years ago. I still pick up my camera whenever I can, and I go out to shoot. I remained persistent and I did not know back then that I was in for the long game. 

Image taken by Jojo, used with permission. 

During my earlier days of photography, I have met a large group of friends, mostly I have known from local photography forums and clubs. I dare say that 99% of these people have disappeared from the photography planet. They have either become too busy with life (got married and have kids) to be bothered with photography, or they have given up altogether, which constituted to the most of my friends that were with me in the beginning. Photography is a hobby, and like many hobbies, they may or may not last. In this case, people do find photography fulfilling and fun, but you have to admit, it is time consuming at the same time. Life has many priorities, and it is easy to see that photography is not a priority for many. Of course, we all have freedom to choose whatever we want to do with our lives. 

Why am I talking about photography-enthusiasts and hobbyists who play with their cameras for a short period of time, say 3-5 years and then quitting cold? 

It takes time to be good at something. It takes time to be good at anything. In order to go far and accomplish something meaningful, you have got to put in the time. 

That is the biggest problem I see a lot of beginners or even veterans in photography have - they don't spend enough time going out to create images, thinking about how to improve and also making the effort to be consistent. They would pick up photography because it is fun, and in a large group setting, it seems like a great weekend activity. However, photography is a very personal pursuit. Your photography is about you, and you just need to give yourself enough chance - basically enough time for your skills to level up, and shine. 

Photography is a long game. 

I think I am one of the odd people that actually sticks to the few things for a long duration of time. I started playing DotA (an online multiplayer game) since 2006, I still actively play the game today. I was an audiophile (wannabe, as I have not owned any expensive hi-fi or headphones) since my teenage years, I still geek out on high end sound systems today. I picked up a compact camera in 2005, and it slowly evolved into a career for me today. I also started blogging in 2005, and look, it is 2024, in one year, I will celebrate the 20th anniversary of my blog! 

Whatever I started so long ago, I continued to do them persistently. I think consistency is the key, you may not see any changes or growth immediately, but over a span of time, you will have gone the distance. 

You cannot see it now, but if you keep going, you will go far eventually. 

Please support me & keep this site going:


No comments: