Shooting Portraits with Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm F1.2 PRO Lens

0 Comments
Currently I had a loaner Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm F1.2 PRO lens and I thought it would be awesome if I can shoot some portraits. Then there was this fashion model street shooting event organized by local fashion label RG by Ruzz Gahara, featuring their latest collection. It was a huge event, open to anyone interested and on the actual shoot itself almost a hundred strong photographers of all background, sizes and shapes appeared. There were a dozen models wearing the latest fashion wear from the local designer and the participants were free to shoot, direct and interact with the models. In return, of course postings on social media and appropriate hashtags were requested from the photographers. I think this was a brilliant PR idea to get as much exposure as possible from young and learning photographers. The models, fashion wear, make up and event coordination were fully sponsored. I went in with two objectives in mind: 1) to observe and learn how the hell the organizers can coordinate such a large number of participants in an outdoor event and 2) to put that 45mm F1.2 to good use and see some bokelicious shots.

I did not have the chance to shoot every single model because there were too many of them. Also the event went on past noon, and my friends and I decided to cut our shooting session short and head to a nearby restaurant to fill our grumbling stomachs. It was an enjoyable session for me, and I was again amazed by how the Olympus F1.2 PRO lenses render such beautiful images. The "feathered bokeh" may not be something I truly understand but I can differentiate the 3D look the F1.2 lens creates that the counterpart F1.8 lens version does not deliver as effectively. Some of these shots were taken with the F1.8 version (I did swap with my friends present with me, allowing them to experience the F1.2 PRO lens as well. Sharing is caring) and you can clearly see for yourself how different the rendering is. I am a huge fan of the original Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm F1.8, and will probably not sell it off ever, due to it's light weight and amazingly small size. I am still happy with what that tiny lens can do, but I do admit that F1.2 new PRO lens is something different altogether.

All images were shot on the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II.

45mm F1.2 PRO lens

45mm F1.2 PRO lens

45mm F1.2 PRO lens

45mm F1.8 lens

45mm F1.8 lens

45mm F1.8 lens

45mm F1.2 PRO lens

45mm F1.8 lens

45mm F1.2 PRO lens

45mm F1.2 PRO lens

45mm F1.2 PRO lens

My partners in crime for the shoot - Van, Robert and Sim

I still have a long way to go when it comes to shooting portraits and I do not pretend to be good in doing this. It is a work in progress, and I have to push myself to take up more arranged shoots to work better in communication/interactions with the models, directing them for poses as well as paying attention to subtle details like background composition as well as lighting. To be entirely honest, the only shot that I was happy with was the opening shot only.

Nevertheless, photography is a journey, and I am in no rush.

Any of you beautiful readers out there own an Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm F1.2 PRO lens? Do let me know your thoughts on the lens!


No comments: