Mid Week Shutter Therapy is a Lifesaver

20 Comments
For many kind souls who came and support us at Olympus in Kuala Lumpur Photography Festival (KLPF) 2015, you have my deepest gratitude. Thank you for dropping by and say hi, giving words of encouragement, I needed them to push through a gruesome 3 full day event, and seeing so many Olympus shooters coming together in one place was quite incredible! Canon and Nikon decided not to join the photography festival (which shows how much they support or care about the whole photography community here locally in Malaysia, versus their own sales and branding). Olympus, together with Fujifilm and Sony ruled KLPF this year: and you know what, MIRRORLESS is indeed the future now. 

Since I was practically stuck at KLPF for the entire weekend, I had zero shutter therapy. Thankfully, yesterday was a public holiday in Malaysia (Awal Muharram) and I snatched this much needed opportunity shooting on the streets. Originally I intended to spend the whole day shooting with the Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm F4-5.6 R lens, and do a mini-review, as requested frequently by many readers here. Having too many things in my mind and the ever stacking workload as a consequence of being away from the office for too many days (leading up to KLPF, and the aftermath), I mistakenly forgot to bring home the 40-150mm R lens. I shall have to revisit this objective, perhaps in the weekend, and I sincerely hope the rain keeps pouring to clear the hazy weather. 

I joined a huge group of friends and photography-enthusiast to attack Pudu yesterday. It was great to just now talk about cameras (I spent almost all my waking hours talking about gear in KLPF) and just shoot and shoot and shoot. I armed myself with the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II and my favourite M.Zuiko 45mm F1.8 lens. 

Morning Coffee



Looking Back

Portrait of a Stranger

Yellow

Awesome Kids

Work Table

Dried Noodles

Numbers and Plates

Portrait of a Stranger 2 
This dude recognized me and approached me! We started talking and... I think I should reaaaaallly stop visiting the same spots too often. 

Portrait of a Stranger 3

OM-D, PEN and STYLUS
The complete representation of each camera groups by Olympus. 
Ripi with TG-4, Deepak with E-PL7 and Rahul with E-M1

I hope you have enjoyed the mini shutter therapy session in mid-week, which is a rarity! Since it was a huge group outing (we had more than 10 people actually, not pictured) most of the time as spent catching up with each other and sharing stories/experience. It was a much needed break from work and a day to just have fun, be surrounded with like-minded awesome photography-crazy people and most important of all, enjoy shooting on the streets. 

Weekend is coming quickly and I just can't wait to go out there again and shoot!



20 comments:

  1. I agree, After I tried so many different lenses of different FL that Olym 45mm f1.8 lens remains to be 1st choice to take street shots for me, furthermore it's very light and with reasonable price..

    That could mean Canon and Nikon were so well established, well known and had more than enough supporters that they don't need to spend unnecessarily to promote their brands and products anymore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not about promoting brands. It is about participating in a local community, and encourage the photographers to grow. If you are big enough you need to play an important part in the community, and the absence shows how ignorant and how "selfish" they can be, thinking only about sales and figures.

      Delete
  2. can't help myself, just love to see your pictures, yellow is my fav, keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colours, punchy yet natural, als always! This brings me to a question which I've wanted to ask you for a long time: How much post processing is in these pictures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may read about my post-processing here http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2014/01/my-post-processing-for-blogging-purposes.html

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I've shortly tried Olympus Viewer, but I must admit that I hated it. Or maybe rather I didn't see the point of learning yet another piece of software. But looking at your results, I guess I'll have to give it a serious second try.

      Delete
    3. It is indeed extremely slow, and I am not going to say that it is an absolute necessity to use Olympus Viewer. Lightroom is a favourite choice and everyone seems to be able to get great results too.

      Delete
    4. Hi Robin,
      It might be just me but well have you improoved your postprocessing workflow since owning your Fuji x100 ?
      What I see here is more Fuji like colors rather then Olympus colors. Have you inspired by their look (very vivid and saturated colors) ?
      Do you still use these processing steps ?
      OV3 ... export to jpeg ... Acdsee.
      BW workflow is the same or you still use Snapseed ?
      Regards

      Delete
    5. I still use the exact same processing workflow. The photographs look more vivid and saturated due to my excessive boosting in contrast in the photos.

      Delete
  4. "Yellow"
    makes me feel relaxed.
    don't know why.
    perhaps Coffee and cigarette's
    very natural color rendition.
    Squeaky clean

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you got out. Thanks for the inspiring photos. The 45, 1.8 really gives great results.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm one looking forward to your 40mm - 150mm f4.0 R review. Does it focus manually, Tradeoff of f stop vs ISO and Sutter speed vs 5 axis EM1 stabilization at 150mm. I own it and love the price and weight. .

    Used to shoot Canon 300 mm f4.0 IS on 5D. Got some great images of geese in flight BUT OMG did that outfit weigh me down. Now,at age 77 I've sold all that for both EM1 and OMD10 and 4 lens: 12mm - 40mm f2.8 pro, 25mm f1.4 Pan/Leica, and 12 - 50mm kit macro which out performs the term "kit" quite a bit.

    Food Photographer
    Veggiepowerburgers.com
    CHICAGO

    BEST way to learn Oly RAW viewer??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you may focus manually with the 40-150mm R lens, and the Autofocus is also very fast and reliable. I think the biggest trade off would be the slower aperture of F4-5.6. Other than that I simply love the tiny size and light-weight!

      Delete
  8. Bonjour Robin
    I really like to follow your Blog. Each time, I am really impressed by the quality of your photos. You really have a talent I do not have.
    I have a question for you. For your readers, can you write an article with a “lesson” about the treatment you bring to your the photos after shooting ?
    Of course, I do not ask you to give your “secrets” !!!
    Thank you. Have a nice day,
    Cheers

    Pier-Yves Menkhoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour Pier-Yves, you'll find it here :D
      http://robinwong.blogspot.fr/2014/01/my-post-processing-for-blogging-purposes.html

      Delete
  9. Thanks to have a great blog, everyone will be in love with this blog writing surely because it has quality stuff. BP Online School

    ReplyDelete