Moon Shot With Olympus M.Zuiko 100-400mm F5-6.3 Lens

4 Comments
I saw the moon outside my room window and I just could not resist the urge to pick up the camera and make some shots. After all the Olympus M.Zuiko 100-400mm F5-6.3 lens which is on loan from OMD World Imaging is still with me. Just within a quick minute, I got the following shot. Everything done hand-held, no tripod, monopod or any extra support needed. The magic of image stabilization, and modern digital imaging technology, you can capture subjects from a far distance with ease, right from the comfort of your own bedroom, without much effort. 

1/200, ISO200, F6.3
E-M1 Mark III and M.Zuiko 100-400mm lens
Hand-held

The trick here is to use spot-metering. And you will get fast enough shutter speed to hand-hold the long lens, even the Olympus 100-400mm lens with the furthest end at 800mm equivalent (in 35mm format), at 1/200 second shutter speed, it was a breeze considering we do have powerful image stabilization to help steady the shot. The image show above is heavily cropped of course, I did not have any of the tele converters with me, but even the cropped image revealed plenty of good details and impressive contrast. 

Some people said that they don't see the Olympus 100-400mm resolving fine details, referring to my previous blog entry/YouTube video on bird photography at KL Bird Park. I was like... how many more fine details do your eyes need to see? Yes, the PRO lenses like 300mm PRO, or most possibly the newer 150-400mm PRO will give you better details resolving power, but to say that this lower level 100-400mm cannot resolve good enough fine details, and does not have good enough sharpness, is a laughable conclusion, considering I have shown so many examples proving just the opposite. It is sharp. It is not that easy to get such pin-sharp results, but you can get it, if you put in enough effort, and know what to do with the lens. A 800mm equivalent lens is definitely not for everyone. 

While the size may not be ultra portable, but this combo is perfectly hand-holdable, and handling wise, there is zero issues. 

I really can't wait for this current semi-lockdown situation in Malaysia to be over. From the looks of it, I doubt that can happen any time soon. The government has just announced stricter measures to be implemented in a few days, signaling the longer battle ahead, and lockdown that will not be eased any time soon. I have a strong feeling that if the number of daily active new cases does not drop drastically soon (currently hovering above 6000 new cases daily in Malaysia, inching closer to 7000 cases), it is no surprise a total lockdown as seen from last year's first March Movement Control Order (MCO) will be enforced. It is inevitable. I don't see how the current measures are sufficient to bring the numbers down. 

That also, unfortunately means, I won't be having much opportunity to shoot fresh images and make new contents. 

Wherever you are, I hope you fare better than me here. If you have a camera and you are free to go out to shoot, don't take that for granted. Go out and take more photographs. For me please. 

Please support me & keep this site going:


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo! You've made me think about getting the 100-400mm. Hold on, friend, during the terrible disruption of the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. If you have a use for such long focal length, stretching to 400mm, this is a very good option to have.

      Delete
  2. Hi Robin,

    Are you planning on shooting the blood moon eclipse this evening?
    Any hints on settings to use?
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lunar eclipse is happening during sunset in KL. I doubt we can see anything. Plus high chance to thunderstorm.

      Delete