Fujifilm X-M5 - My First Impressions

0 Comments
I managed to get my hands on a demo unit of the newly launched Fujifilm X-M5 at a touch and try session happening inside the Artishutter X N4 camera store last Saturday. I am genuinely curious about this camera, an entry level camera with advanced features that is made into a truly compact and lightweight body in the year 2024, and selling for under USD1000 price tag, is it too good to be true? Since I only had the camera inside the store and did shoot with it extensively, obviously this is not going to be a review, but I am merely sharing my hands on experience with the X-M5, what I like and dislike about it. I also have made a new video about the same topic here (click). 


I am just going to go straight to the point. What do I like about the Fujifilm X-M5?
  1. Beautiful design - I have to say Fujifilm does know how to make sleek, pretty looking cameras. I love the all-black design with a touch of minimalism, the rangefinder styled flat top look screams retro-classic. This is a camera that can inspire you to pick it up and go out to shoot more. 
  2. Small & light - I was pleasantly surprised to find that the X-M5 was truly compact in size, in fact it was about the same sized compared side by side to the smaller Micro Four Thirds setup, say the Olympus PEN E-PL7 (shown in video). The camera also weighs only 355g. You all know I have a soft spot for small cameras that are still capable in delivering great results. 
  3. Logical Controls - The buttons, dials and overall control layout on the X-M5 makes sense. They are easy to reach and logical to figure out quickly. I prefer the dual command dial (much like a DSLR, front and back dials) in opposition to Fujifilm's own higher-level cameras like X-T5 and X-Pro 3 that have multiple manual mechanical dials (exposure compensation, shutter speed dial, ISO dial) that require more fingers to operate. The X-M5's control placements are more efficient, and I find that it suits my shooting style better. 
  4. Flagship Level Internals - While the X-M5 is an entry level camera, it features flagship level image sensor similarly found in X-Pro 3 and X-T4, the 26MP X-Trans sensor, which has been highly praised for its high performing qualities. Also, the X-M5 uses Fujifilm's latest X-Processor 5 engine. 
  5. Latest Autofocus - The AF system is the same one ported over from X-T50, with the same AI powered algorithm for subject AI tracking. I acknowledge that on many online discussions there has been complains on AF reliability and several issues with X-T5 and X-T50, with the AF getting worse after each firmware update, but let's not get into that as I have not used any recent Fujifilm camera models extensively. I have only played with the X-T50 in store an hour or so, and I cannot make any meaningful real life experience conclusion based on that. 
  6. Vlogging Features - The X-M5 is designed with vloggers in mind, featuring swivel articulated LCD screen, improved internal microphone setup, mic input, 6k open gate shooting as well as a dedicated Vlog mode on the mode dial. I shall not comment much on video capabilities as I am not a videographer, but it is nice to see some advanced video features in a compact, entry level setup. 
  7. Price Tag - For RM3948/USD800, I think the price for X-M5 is justified. I am glad manufacturers are still making capable sub-USD1000 cameras, without nerfing it too much, and in a small package. 
Of course, no cameras are perfect, and I do have some dislikes. 
  1. No In Body Image Stabilization - Since X-M5 is targeting vloggers and has a plethora of useful video shooting features, it is strange to leave the in-body image stabilization out. That would have opened up a whole different world of possibilities, not just for video, but also for stills shooting. If they can fit in a powerful 3-Axis Image Stabilization in Olympus PEN E-PL7 more than 10 years ago, I am sure they can do the same in the latest X-M5, without incurring too much cost. Even if it did cost USD100 more, it is worth paying for the added benefits of stabilization. 
  2. Handling - The camera body is made of plastic, which itself may not be a bad thing, and for an entry level camera I do not expect high grade construction like flagship cameras. However, the plastic material on the hand gripping contact areas of the X-M5 are too smooth and to a point, dangerously slippery. In the short amount of time handling the X-M5 I can feel the camera almost slipping away from my fingers. It could have benefitted from a rubberized texture to help with securing the hand grip, including the thumb hook area at the back of the camera. I do not foresee myself shooting with the X-M5 comfortably for a long duration of time. 
I cannot comment much on overall camera performance when it comes to image quality or autofocus speed and reliability, since I only had the camera for a brief period of time. Nevertheless, for image quality, I am expecting to see the same results from X-Pro 3 and X-T4, which is no slouch, these are flagships, delivering the best possible output from Fujifilm system, combined with the latest image processor engine. As for autofocus, I hope Fujifilm gets their **** together and really catch up to what the competition (Sony, Canon) are doing. 

Overall, I am quite impressed with what Fujifilm has done with the X-M5. It is truly small and light, yet packed with high performing internals - flagship image sensor and latest image processor. Therefore, I am calling the X-M5 a mini entry level powerhouse, and I wish other manufacturers do the same. 



Please support me & keep this site going:


No comments: