I shot a recent show at Kuala Lumpur Performing Arts Center (KLPAC), and a friend who happens to be a full frame shooter commented on how daring I was for using Micro Four Thirds to shoot in such a challenging environment. In fact, I have been shooting many times in similarly difficult conditions for KLPAC over the years, and my Micro Four Thirds gear delivered each and every time without fail. I intentionally chose to use the Olympus E-M1 Original from 2013 to prove my point further, if such a dinosaur camera can shoot good enough images, I am sure newer and more capable Micro Four Thirds cameras that came after can do a better job. I brought along my prime lenses Olympus 25mm F1.8, 45mm F1.8 and 75mm F1.8 for this session, most images were taken with either 45mm or 25mm F1.8. I also made a video to share some tips on shooting low light stage photography here (click).
Please support me & keep this site going:


















Hi Robin, I am also a M43 user and I recently got to try and shot a music event myself. I think what you have showed here is very applicable for my use. I'd like to ask how will you tackle if say the event has very poor lighting (no spotlights at all for the performers, because they needed a projector), and somehow flash makes things worse looking overall. What composition tips can you give in this situation?
ReplyDeleteI had to cover the event shooting both audiences and performers, so I had to bring and juggle 2 M43 cameras. With the main one being 12-100mm f4 Pro (on hindsight, not the best choice, one of the worst even), and a Voightlander 25mm f0.95 for closer and more portrait shots.
I felt I could get the shot, but I still feel they could have looked better. I'm looking at optimising my setup to deliver better, if you are in my shoes, what type of lens will you need to bring if you have to cover both performers and audiences?
Thank you in advance!