Sunday, January 04, 2015

Tobias & Steph

I know it is weird that suddenly there is not much street photography happening here, and updates have become far in between posts. I have been doing a few wedding shoots lately, mostly for friends, families and colleagues. However, yesterday marked the first time I was engaged by a blog reader, Tobias who came all the way from Germany! He had his wedding ceremony in Kuala Lumpur, with his beautiful Malaysian wife. Tobias is an OM-D system user, who has switched over fully from a Canon full frame system, and has never looked back ever since. I was privileged to cover his beautiful wedding, together with my partner Jason Lioh. 

Unlike traditional weddings where the brides wear white gowns, Steph has opted to have a Chinese red dress, looking elegant and classy at the same time. Tobias wore Chinese red samfu, similar to something you find a Kung Fu master wearing in one of those martial arts movies. They looked great together, and the grooms party were also dressed in white samfus. Not a common sight even in a strong Chinese community here in Malaysia, with grooms mostly in full suit and tie while the brides in white gowns. 

The lenses I used were M.Zuiko 45mm F1.8, 25mm F1.8 and the kit lens 12-50mm F3.5-6.3. I used the 45mm mostly for capturing candid moments and expressions. The 12-50mm has the close up (macro) mode which was very useful when I needed to shoot tiny details such as the engravings on the rings. You may not believe it but the 12-50mm kit lens is good enough to do the macro job, and I did not even need a macro lens (carrying less lens is better). I have also used the FL-50R flash for most of the shots shown in this entry, and it is important to blend the flash with the available ambient light. 

Here I am showing preliminary edits of the shots taken from yesterday's wedding. Kindly take note the edits are not final. Also, I have a partner, Jason Lioh who covered bride's side of events in the morning , thus the missing part of Bride's preparation and portraits which I am not showing here. 



































11 comments :

  1. The images look great!!! Another reason for all photographers to turn on m4/3 system!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks like it was a fun wedding to cover. another wonderful gallery you have here, robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anthony!
      It was very fun indeed. Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  3. Hi Robin.
    Happy New Year to you.
    Superb wedding shot. Love the candid shot and it's vibrant colors. The characters seemed to be really enjoy being shot by you.
    Best wishes for the new year 2015. Keep healthy and lets the shutter clicking.
    John Ragai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey John,
      Happy New Year to you too. Thanks for the kind words. yes, lets shoot more this year!

      Delete
  4. Hey Robin, the first thing I thought was what great pictures you did shoot there! The second thing was about Tobias. He seems familar too me because he looks like a typical german man. I know this because I am a german too. As I saw your great wedding pictures I thought he must be a german. And than I read your text and it was fun to me! Anyway.

    I follow your blog for a long time but I never write a comment. Now its time for that. I really appreciate your blog and your amazing picture. Go ahead and have a lot of fun in 2015! Maybe we will meet some day in Kuala Lumpur and have a street shooting together...

    Wish you all the best!
    Maik

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Maik,
      Thank you so much for writing a comment and I do appreciate it. Thanks for the kind words!
      If you do come by Kuala Lumpur please let me know. It will be a pleasure to meet up and have you in my shutter therapy sessions. Lets make 2015 a great, fun year!

      Delete
  5. Love the candid shot ;) the photos indoor nicely exposed too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words TC! Looking forward to the day we shoot a wedding together.

      Delete
  6. looks like that was a fun wedding, and you did a splendid job on the images Robin ...as always! ;-)

    ReplyDelete