Friday, January 16, 2015

Timothy and Stephanie

It has been a busy start to the 2015 year for me, with wedding shoots happening consecutively for a few weekends in a row now. No I do not intend to mutate into a wedding photographer, and after the third job in a row I knew exactly why. It was physically and mentally draining! I wake up the next day after a full day shoot feeling like a walking dead. 

However, I cannot hide the fact that I do enjoy shooting weddings. The joy on the faces of the newly weds, the overall sense of happiness and even the stories of love can be really inspiring. 

This time, for Timothy and Stephanie, I was shooting a church wedding, and it was held at St Mary's Cathedral, at Dataran Merdeka, KL. This was my second time covering a wedding in this church, and I have come back much more prepared than my first encounter. 

Again, for many times now, my macro shots during wedding assingnment were taken care of by that marvellous 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 kit lens 



The following summarizes this wedding shoot:

1) Available Light photography at the church session. 
I decided not to use flash and rely on the strong afternoon sun, coming into the church from the side windows. I still had to push up the ISO to about 1600 and sometimes 3200, even when shooting wide open at 1.8 or 2.8 (depending on which lens). I find the ambient lighting to be sufficiently good in quality, providing beautiful skin tone and overall warmth to the images. 

2) First Wedding shoot with M.Zuiko 40-150mm F2.8 Pro lens
I knew that this church prohibited the photographrs from running around during the ceremony, having very strict rules on where we can and cannot position ourselves. With limited shooting ground, the only practical solution to get near, and have flexible composition would be using a long zoom lens. It was the perfect opportunity to use the amazing 40-150mm F2.8 Pro lens, and that lens worked wonderfully! I was able to shoot from a distance (thus not having to disrupt or impose my presence at unwanted positions) and at the same time able to get close up shots of the bride and groom. 

3) Using Two Camera bodies
I used two camera bodies, the OM-D E-M5 and the PEN E-PL5, with different lenses mounted on them. During the church ceremony, I had the 25mm F1.8 or 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 mounted on the E-PL5, while the E-M5 had the 40-150mm F2.8 mounted at all times. 

4) Aperture Priority and General Settings
I normally would use fully Manual control when I shoot weddings, typically because of the use of flash. Since I decided to go with available light, I have switched the setting to Aperture priority, with the consideration made for depth of field control. I constantly watched over the shutter speed to ensure everything was above 1/100sec, just in case, to freeze some motion/movement, as well as prevent possible hand-shake. As I mentioned earlier, ISO was set to about 1600-3200, doing my best to stay at ISO1600

5) ISO1600-ISO3200 Images
I think the OM-D did well in perserving great amount of details, and maintaining pleasing color balance, even though ISO was pushed up to 3200. I shot everything in RAW and processed the images in Olympus Viewer 3, with noise filter set to Low. Bear in mind these images are quick initial edits, and should there be a necessity to further reduce the noise I will not hesitate to run through another layer of noise filtering. 




































24 comments :

  1. Verry nice photos!
    Pleasant colors and bright scenes! Admirable results in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emil! Olympus colors are always nice!

      Delete
  2. Hi Robin,

    the last picture says it just right, awesome & gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your best for some time. How did you light the red carpet reception shots without having dark background light fall off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ananda, it was manual exposure, setting the shutter speed/aperture/ISO combination to gather enough ambient light. Flash was fired to just fill in the front subject

      Delete
  4. Robin, I'm wondering what focus mode you used during the processional...like shots of the bride and dad walking down the isle. Was is single point, 9 point, CA-F, etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Single point, S-AF, with focusing point position pre-set to where I want it to be.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Robin! I'm always interested in how others are shooting weddings with Olympus gear. Using EM-1's I also find it's better to use S-AF. To follow up on Ananda's question; did you use bounce flash, on camera, straight on flash dialed down, or another method. I have had pretty good luck using the FL-50r with a Joe Demb Flipit bounce card, on camera.

      Delete
    3. I used bounced flash off the ceiling for the few shots I did with flash. Yes FL50R worked like a charm!

      Delete
  5. Robin, great photos as always.

    How did you manage to get such shallow depth of field with the 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 kit lens? It is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For close up shooting/macro shots, it is easier to get shallow depth of field, and you have to stop down a little to get sufficient depth of field!

      Delete
  6. Fantastic pictures! And a beautiful wedding couple! The 12-50 "kitlens" is impressing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing set of photos. All the more coming from the humble 12-50 kit lens.

    Did you change the setting in OV3? The red looks a little cooler here compared to previous photos. Maybe its my monitor..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing wedding shot! Simply flawless bro.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so touching. I am also going to have a destination wedding and just reserved one of the best outdoor Chicago wedding venues and looking for other service providers. I think I can do decoration part myself as venue is beautiful enough and don’t need much work on it.

    ReplyDelete