Friday, October 25, 2013

New Tripod Shooting Spree

Update: Please check out our Olympus Malaysia Online Shop, we have new stock arrival of some really cool items!

Bought myself a spanking new tripod at a local warehouse sale, sturdy lightweight and compact tripod, capacity up to 3kg weight and having ball-head for quick adjustment. Giottos VGRN 9225, and I got it for 50% off the retail price. Not a bad deal. 

So what happens next? It is not too difficult to guess, I went for a shooting spree earlier this evening. 

All images were taken with Olympus OM-D E-M5 and M.Zuiko 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 lens. 
ISO200, F8-11, Shutter Speed varied (shooting with aperture priority). Image stabilization was turned off. 








Honestly, I do think the M.Zuiko 12-50mm lens is not too shabby at all. It performed adequately well for this night urban skyline shooting. In fact, I was quite satisfied with the sharpness at the widest 12mm end. It was surely good enough for me. I think we should stop whining about lenses and just shoot and shoot more photos!

23 comments :

  1. Nice shots, Robin. What mode did you use in night shot? I usually use Av mode on my EM5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Michael,
      I have written down the settings/modes I used in the blog entry. Kindly refer to the writeup there.

      Delete
  2. Not too shabby at all in my experience.... though, I sold mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good ones as usual Robin - I like 6637 - but did you use AWB? I usually prefer a fixed setting, or experiment a bit in post... of course, this is pretty subjective, and I still like these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shot mostly with auto white balance because I do not trust what I see from the E-M5's LCD screen. I did comment in my review on E-M5 on my issues with the LCD screen.

      Delete
    2. Correction, the OLED back display screen, not LCD.

      Delete
    3. I see. And I also have to correct myself: yesterday evening I was out for some night shots, first time with the E-PL5 (which as we all know has the same sensor as your E-M5). I took most photos with the 4000K setting, but running them through the Olympus Viewer 3 software I discovered that in most cases, no manual fiddling could beat Olympus' Auto WB with warm colours = off. There was only one image I couldn't get happy with no matter what I tried, so I converted that one to b&w. On my blog, in case you (or anyone) are interested.

      Delete
  4. Very nice. I have always thought this lens was underrated as well. There is a lot of distortion at the wide end though for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenn, the barrel distortion was well controlled. I think you are referring to perspective distortion. that cannot be helped. I was standing at 42nd floor looking down. That has nothing to do with the lens.

      Delete
  5. Wanna see you shoot some stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No stars to shoot in KL city. City lights too bright

      Delete
  6. Is that the view from KLCC/Petronas Towers?

    I wanted so much to do some shooting on the tripod, but as we're just starting with snow and sleet, it's not warm enough for me to feel comfortable outside. Too bad I'm not in M'sia or S'pore. 37 degrees C is much better than 37 degrees F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sakamoto,
      Nope, I was shooting from a new condominium building at 42nd floor. There is the view of KLCC from the building itself but my shot did not turn out good so I did not use the photo here.

      Delete
  7. No way!... You can't get shots that nice with a kit lens! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best thing about the EM5 is the LIVE TIME function. Great for long exposures in the city:

    http://alphawhiskey.slickpic.com/photoblog/post/ADryNightInLondon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shots, as usual, Robin. That lens performs very well indeed.

    ReplyDelete