Updated Post-Processing Video on Ming Thein's Site - Is There A Robin Wong Secret Sauce?

2 Comments
After numerous requests, questions and weird accusations of me hiding my secrets when it comes to post-processing, finally, I have made a new video published on Ming Thein's site addressing those concerns.



Things that I have heard people said about me and my images:
1) There are hidden steps on how to achieve sharp looking images, a complex sharpening process to have that crisp yet natural look
2) The vibrant colors and how to get that look: vivid yet not overly saturated and still looking pleasing
3) Robin Wong has a secret filter that he applies to his images to automatically generate that look
4) It is impossible to get similar images like what Robin Wong does even if you use the same cameras and lenses simply because he has advanced post-processing procedures
5) Robin Wong's post-processing is cheating, because he gets good results all the time.

Oh dear... in short, my response would usually be:
1) There is no secret sauce and my post-processing routine is perfectly normal.
2) I apply minimal editing to my images and I believe in efficient and quick processing so I can spend less time on my computer and more time out there shooting. Isn't shooting with your camera more fun?
3) Sharp images? Make sure your images are critically in focus. Natural colors? Don't play with the color sliders too much, leave the original color profile in tact. No shortcuts and no secrets. Just plain old shooting discipline, and get it right in camera!
4) Post-processing is not rocket science. You do not need to apply complicated layers, masks and extensive adjustments to make your image shine. I acknowledge the need for extensive image manipulation work in some scenarios, but for street photography and most hobby shooting purposes, why complicate your life? Keep things simple and most of the time, minimalism works. Less is more.

Therefore, I made a short video showing my complete post-processing workflow, right from the start after I have imported my images into an image editing software. Take note that the adjustments and settings I have made are applicable to any image editing software, they are not Capture One Pro specific.

The video that I have made is not a tutorial or "how to" guide on post-processing. It is an extension of my sharing on what I do with shutter therapy, or what happens after a street shooting session. Think of this as me inviting you to see what I do with my images, the selection process and how I do minimal processing to get the final batch of images to be used on blog articles.

I am still noob in making videos so please do bear with me with some kinks. I know the audio isn't perfect and there were some hiccups (uneven levels). If you must know, I am using a RM10 (USD2.50) PC desktop stand microphone that was designed for old webcam use. I am using that same microphone on my desktop to shout profanity and vulgar phrases to my teammates when I play online games such as DotA. For the first time I am putting that microphone into something more of a productive use. I should really be investing in a proper microphone if I were to continue making more videos soon. Nonetheless, it was a good start, and that al-cheapo stand microphone did a good job for something so old and not "pro".

While I am not a fan of making videos, I understand that some things are better illustrated with videos. I sure will be making more contents from now on, so do subscribe to my Youtube Channel if you have not.



2 comments:

  1. To me your "secret sauce" is your ability to nail critical focus. I shoot spontaneous street portraits. When I see a subject or subjects of interest I have less than two seconds to raise the camera, frame and shoot. I use a kit zoom typically between 80 and 125mm (equiv.) giving a perspective I like for portraits. I am lucky when the camera more or less brings the subject(s) into focus. How do you focus on an eyeball?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having previsualization helps, and also, not all subjects move that quickly. For my portrait shots I have the strangers for at least 1 minute so I can ensure focus accuracy. For spontaneous moments, there are hits and misses, but with OM-D's AF being so crazy fast, I have more keepers these days.

      Delete