Nasi Lemak Burger

13 Comments
The burger craze has been around in Malaysia for several years now, but it never fails to amaze me how they reinvent the menu and make things relevant. The most recent hype that got all the attention of Instagrammers and food bloggers was the Nasi Lemak Burger. Initially I was not paying much attention to it since a popular trend would eventually fade off while everyone will jump to the next hip thing to try. However, after finally having the chance to try one myself, at the Myburgerlab earlier this evening, I must say the Nasi Lemak Burger exceeded my expectations, in every single way!






Nasi lemak is a local Malaysian dish that you can find everywhere. It consists of coconut rice, served with sambal (special savoury sauce), fried anchovies, boiled or fried egg, peanuts and sliced cucumber. You may also add fried chicken or beef rendang in some interesting variation of nasi lemak to make it a more wholesome meal. I personally would eat my nasi lemak with a piece of fried chicken at the side. Nasi lemak is popularly eaten as a breakfast (though not particularly a healthy meal, considering the oily sambal and coconut rice).

Somehow, they managed to take the best parts of nasi lemak and turn it into a burger. The fried chicken was the patty, which makes sense, and then there were the sambal (which they got the taste spot on), slices of cucumber, fried egg, anchovies and peanut butter. I know some of the ingredients are probably hidden inside the burger but I was too hungry to take a better photograph anyways.

If you are in KL, and you have not tried this weird mutation of food, I highly recommend you to try it! I am not sure how long the craze will last, but this is one of the few trends that I think should remain on the permanent menu!


13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. There is no human in the photo so you referring to someone being pathetic looking is a little irrelevant. If you want people to understand you, I suggest you explain yourself better than posting a completely useless comment

      Delete
  3. That looks like a big, tasty meal . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robin!
    If/where/when are you going to continue review lenses and cameras? I was super excited when you got out from Olympus expecting now you could review Panasonic and other products as well. I don't see it happening here nor Ming Thein's website. I'm sorry if this was discussed somewhere. I'm not saying the product review is everything but I didn't expect it completely gone neither. Comment as your fan. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe because, there are no new products?
      Anyways, I just did a Panasonic 8-18mm review about a month ago at Ming Thein's site, and reviewed a belt clip accessory for small cameras.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the reply. You are actually right! Can't wait to see them as well as those blog posts!
      BTW, I always prefer chicken burger over beef patty. This certainly looks like the first food I want to try if I go to KL!

      Delete
  5. Looks awesome except for the peanuts I am highly allergic. I am always inspired by you photos and what you are able to do with much of the same equipment I own myself. I re-enforces that fact if I work at my craft I to can take great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The photographer's vision matters more than the equipment used. Keep shooting and I am sure we will get better and better!

      Delete
  6. Looks delicious! What kind of bread is that (for the burger bun)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks seriously amazing! Going to try and make it myself...

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you are into veggie burgers check ebook on kindle: veggiepowerburgers.com
    Took all shots than ate burgers.
    Now I shoot with Oly Mk1 and 12 to 40mm pro 2.8 lens and love it. Also pan Leica 1.4 is great buy.

    ReplyDelete