Monday, July 22, 2013

Back to Blogging

First of all, I must thank you all beautiful readers so, so much for showing so much concern, support and help in my time of need. The generous donations from you all (everywhere in the world!!!) and the abundant words of encouragement and comfort brought much warmth and optimisim to my me and my mum. We truly appreciate the love and care you have all shared.

The cost of the metal implant is quoted to us at RM6,500. Up to date I have received about  RM5000 (USD1600), and adding to that from my own pocket we do have sufficient funds to cover the metal implant. We were told we have to clear the payment of the metal implant first before we can proceed with the surgery. Now that the money issue is out of the way, the drama of operation date rescheduling continues to haunt us. To be honest I dare not mention any dates now because none of the dates given to us happened and there were more than 5 delays already. The lastest promise given to us was this coming Saturday (27 July) and I sure hope there is no more delay.

My humble blogging machine setup: cheap Android tablet with an external keyboard. 


I have initially mentioned that I shall not be blogging, since I am now spending almost 24 hours in the hospital by my mum's side. I am the only child and my dad has passed away few years ago. There really is no one else to take care of her, and yes we do have relatives but we can only trouble them so much. As the only child I do have my responsibilities to stay by her side throughout all this. Therefore I initially have intended to halt everything that I was committed to: taking unpaid leave from my engineering job in KL, stopped photography related activities (I have missed two meetings with visitors from abroad) and ultimately, not blogging as well. 

However after seeing such overwhelming response at my Facebook Page, it hit me. It was because of my blog that has kept me going all this time. You have all been with me and stayed with me, it was almost a crime to leave this place unattended. Considering the fact that my mum's surgery has been postponed and we do not have a firm date, my mum is ok with me taking a few hours off from the hospital to do some things on my own, like laundry, paying off bills, buying some stuff, and also catching up with friends for breakfast or lunch. I intend to use this little window of opportunity to perhaps, shoot a little, and also blog. 

Initially blogging was almost not possible due to a few reasons. I do not have a laptop and I have been blogging on my desktop PC back in KL. I am currently using a cheap no brand China Android based Tablet. About a month ago I somehow managed to destroy the micro USB port which I usually connect to an external keyboard for quick and easy typing. There is no way I can compose a blog entry using the touch-screen typing, I need an actual physical keyboard! Taking time off from the hospital, I have that micro USB port fixed this afternoon and at the same time bought myself a cheap mini external keyboard. Now, typing is POSSIBLE and I can once again blog, with whatever little time away from mum that I have. 

During my last minute packing rushing home to Kuching after my mum called me to tell meabout her accident, I managed to pack in the Sony A57 and one lens, the 35mm F1.8. I have also bought a memory card reader compatible with my Android Tablet for quick image transfer. This blog entry served as a quick experiment (not so quick now looking at my lengthy words) to test the viability of blogging through this unconventional method.  So far I think it is working well! I have also tried this earlier this year during Chinese New Year holidays.

It has been TWO full weeks now I am in Kuching, my beloved hometown. Indeed this was the longest i have spent my time in Kuching since years ago. I do treasure my time spent with mum (though in hospital, but we do get to talk a lot and catch up on lost times) and have been connecting to cousins, relatives and also some amazing friends. Special thanks to those wonderful people who have spent their time to find me and make sure I am ok. Such warm and thoughtful gestures have helped me to get through some difficult days. I won't list down who and who (else this blog entry will never end) but you know who you are and I won't forget the good deeds you all have showered me.

I have so much I want to share and write here, especially my experience sleeping on the cold hospital floor night after night, the dramas with the doctors and nurses, and so much more, but I shall leave that for another day. I just wanted to drop a few lines to say I am OK here, and I love you all (for being so patient and kind toward me!).

Please do continue to pray for me and mum! 

29 comments:

  1. Stay strong man! Will pray for your mum and the surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)

    Just a WhatsApp away and I hope the news I tagged you in Twitter will give you a short brief of relief. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Bravo" Robin, you are a brave and smart guy!
    Yes we are still here, on your side, so keep going, in any way you want to

    All the best to you and your mum

    Stefano

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep your head up and stay positive Robin! You're doing great and you are inspiration to me and a lot of people i know. We've got your back and we're keeping our fingers crossed here in NY for a quick and successful surgery.

    Te Mat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, good to have you back blogging. I'm sure it will help to vent some of the many thoughts you've had will this whole experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok I shall vent a little in the coming entry!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to see you back online, Robin. I think about you and your Mom quite often. I am amazed that it could be nearly 3 weeks after her fall before she could get in for corrective surgery.

    If you are still sleeping on the cold floor at the hospital, you might want to look into a camper's sleeping pad. Buy a Therm-A-Rest mattress (made by Cascade Designs) at a sporting goods store now, and sell it when you get back to KL (or keep it as a "guest bed" for your apartment). I know that money is tight for you right now, but a man has to get a good night's sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gregg,
      My uncle actually brought along a spongy kind of floor mat (not sure how to call them) so it is all good now.
      Thanks for the kind thoughts and I do appreciate them. Will do my best here.

      Delete
  8. Hi Robin, Thanks for the update. We are all glad that you are coping well. I will be praying for your mom for speedy recovery and getting an earlier date for her procedure. Just as Gregg said, take good care of yourself and get yourself a good night's sleep. If not for yourself, for your mom since you are all she's got.
    May God be with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Calex for the well wishes and prayers. I will never neglect my own well being, no worries!

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "if your mind is weak, the situation is problem
    if your mind is good, the situation is challenging
    if your mind is strong, the situation is opportunity"

    i don't know from who's that words, but it's really true, to keep positif is the best way, in my believe, that only GOD knew what next for us, what lay in the future, good or bad scenario ... but one thing sure, that GOD giving the best of the best for us. Robin, keep Positif, strong, and kind ... :)

    cheers dennie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry Robin.. haven't been visiting your blog and didn't know much bout you and your Mama..

    Will keep both of you in prayers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose,
      Thanks! Do continue praying for us.

      Delete
  12. Hi Robin,
    Glad to see you getting connected again. We always hoping the best for your mum and keep her in our daily prayer. As for you, keep yourself in good shape and I am sure 'HE' is smiling at you.."That is my son, my beloved. She is in good hands." I really admired your act of love towards your mum. I can say, "I love my mum" but you show us 'love in action' which make my words seems worthless. Thank you for showing us what love really is.
    John Ragai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey John,
      Thank you so much for the encouragement and words of wisdom. Staying strong in Faith is not easy and I am doing my best. It takes a lot of suppport and I am getting plenty from you all ! Thanks again.

      Delete
  13. Robin, i'll pray for your mom and stay positive, mate... Regards from Jakarta.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Robin, you are thought of often with much fondness. I have missed you and I'm glad things are now more manageable. Take care - both you and your mum are in my prayers. Libby.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Robin, give your mom a kiss from me.
    Tommy

    ReplyDelete
  16. We missed you, Robin - it's good to hear your mother and you are, considering the circumstances, doing reasonably well. Wonderful also that you're back online! Do some shooting if you can. Keep your chin up!

    ReplyDelete