Monday, June 24, 2013

Olympus PEN E-P5 Review: Street Shooting and Pudu Wet Market

For those of you in Malaysia, you can pre-book Olympus PEN E-P5 from Olympus Malaysia (click here), this has been extended until 28th June 2013, so hurry up!

Update 2: The focus peaking mystery resolved! It has to be activated by assigning one of the custom buttons. I have tried and it worked well with the 25mm F1.2 CCTV lens I have. I shall dedicate a full shutter therapy session using the CCTV lens on E-P5 to test how well the focus peaking, in combination with the new VF-4 performs. I was VERY glad I was wrong in this regard. Apologies for causing unnecessary panic. Special thanks to Pekka Potka for pointing out the mistake and explaining how it worked. 

Update 1: Belicht Fotografie pointed out that focus peaking DOES work with maunal lenses, especially C-Mount CCTV lenses as shown in this video here (click). However, I shall verify with Olympus Malaysia on this issue. Perhaps it was a bug or something I have not figure out. I really hope I was wrong!

Important Notes:
1. This is a user experience based review.
2. All images were shot in RAW and converted directly to JPEG (High Quality) via Olympus Viewer 3.
3. General camera settings, Noise Filter = OFF, Contrast/Saturation/sharpness = 0, White Balance = Auto (with an option maintain warm color = OFF), Gradation = Normal
4. No post-processing applied to the images, except slight brightness/contrast balance tweak. All images were as good as straight out of camera, with minimal cropping for better presentation.


It has been more than half a year since my last gear review blog, and when Olympus Malaysia loaned me the Olympus PEN E-P5 I cannot help but get overly excited. Olympus PEN E-P5 has been announced more than a month ago, and the review unit has not been made available (final version) until recently. This blog review of Olympus E-P5 is the continuation of my previous "Initial Thoughts and Impression" (click here), so if you have not read that entry, please do so. 

I was loaned two lenses: 12mm F2 and 17mm F1.8. I did request for 45mm F1.8 and 60mm F2.8 macro but those lenses would only be made available for me the following weekend. Without longer focal length lenses, the photography shooting opportunities have become rather limited for me, and I have expressed my inflexibility in using the 17mm F1.8's focal length previously. Therefore, for this blog review, I initially have decided to do something rather unusual for a change. 

I was loaned the BLACK version of E-P5. I preferred the Silver version, but now that I am using the Black, it is not too bad either!


We already know that the Olympus E-P5 uses the same sensor as the Olympus OM-D E-M5, and Olympus claims that the the E-P5's image is "OM-D quality". Thus, I will not be spending too much time in reviewing the image quality of the E-P5. No over-emphasis on sharpness, or high ISO performance and color rendition considering they should be near, if not identical to the OM-D E-M5. However, I would like to explore the things that set the E-P5 apart from OM-D, and other micro 4/3 cameras, especially the newer and improved features included in the body. To do so, I decided, in a rather bold move, to use the CCTV Lens 25mm F1.2 for street shooting, on the E-P5. 

By using the CCTV Lens, ideally I would be able to:
1) Use the LOW ISO setting (supposingly ISO100 equivalent) and high shutter speed of 1/8000sec (fastest amongst all mirrorless camera). Imagine shooting under harsh afternoon sun outdoors, at F1.2 for shallow depth of field, you do need the extra low ISO setting, and every bit of faster shutter speed that you can get. I create the necessity to use those new features/improvements, by using the CCTV lens.
2) Testing out the new external Viewfinder, VF-4. Considering there is no autofocus on the CCTV lens, I would be forced to use manual focusing. This would put the new VF-4 EVF to test, how much would it help in manual focusing?
3) Trying the newly included Focus Peaking. Manual focusing should be easier with focus peaking, so how does this focus peaking on E-P5 compare with the Sony's version?
4) Of course, generally I would be commenting on the comfort and handling while using the camera, and also any other observations that come in. 

Unfortunately, I have to drop a bomb this early: the focus peaking did NOT work with the CCTV lens.

When I was using any Olympus lenses, as I switched the focusing to MF (manual focus), the focus peaking was not yet activated. It would only be activated when I rotated the manual focusing ring on the lens. This actually tells us that in order to activate the focus peaking, you need to have electronic feedback from the digital lens (the manual focus ring is focus by wire, electronically controlled) and then it works. I have tried 14-42mm mk1, 12mm F2, 17mm F1.8, 45mm F1.8 and 75mm F1.8 lenses, all worked fine with E-P5 using the focus peaking. When using a manual lens with no electronic contacts, I find NO way to activate the focus peaking! Believe me I have tried digging all the menu system and press all buttons, and if I am wrong in this I would GLADLY be corrected (this is the one time that I wish I am wrong, believe me). Focus Peaking on the E-P5 does not work with manual lenses. I could not use the CCTV lens to test the focus peaking, hence I chucked the idea of using the CCTV lens altogether. So much for an interesting, unconventional plan to do a review differently this time!

The focus peaking WORKS fine with manual focusing lens, but needed to be activated separately. Apologies for causing the misunderstanding!

Then there was the HAZE problem that hit Malaysia. Kuala Lumpur was hit hard, the air quality was so bad the city landscape became whitish blur. Therefore much of the useful sunlight was blocked by the thick haze, negating the need for high shutter speed and low ISO!

Certainly not the best circumstance to test a camera! Alright enough with the lengthy introduction, lets go on with some photographs first. 

All images in this entry were taken with Olympus PEN E-P5, unless noted otherwise. Lenses used: M.Zuiko 12mm F2, 17mm F1.8 and 45mm F1.8. Special thanks to Raja Indra Putra who loaned me the 45mm F1.8 lens! You are a lifesaver.

Burst of Laughter
45mm, 1/250sec, F2.5, ISO200

Window
45mm, 1/1600sec, F1.8, ISO200

Yong Tofu
17mm, 1/60sec, F3.2, ISO320


I always have a backup plan. Thankfully I have. 

The shooting session was street photography, and a bit of shooting in the wet market in Pudu, Kuala Lumpur. I met up with Raja Indra Putra (we call him Ripi in short) in the morning, and he too, is an avid Olympus Micro 4/3 user. He had with him a few micro 4/3 lenses, and I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow his beautiful 45mm F1.8 lens! Now, we are talking. Honestly I would not be able to shoot fully on the street with just wide angle lenses. Together with Ripi I resumed the shooting session, and hoped for the best to get adequate images for this session's review, as well as to get to know the Olympus PEN E-P5 better. 

When I was shooting with the E-P5, it really felt like a mini OM-D. The focusing was just as fast and reliable as the OM-D, and added the advantage to shrink the focusing box which was implemented first in the E-PL5. As suspected the image quality came out very good, very, very similar to the OM-D upon initial inspection. The menu system was rather similar, and everything just felt familiar and this is actually a good thing: Olympus did a lot of things right with the OM-D, and having some of the most important aspects, such as focusing speed and reliability, image quality and even the 5-Axis Image stabilization included in this latest iteration of PEN, was a very good move. I felt very confident using the E-P5, knowing it can do what the OM-D can do, and a little more!

5-Axis Image Stabilization Got Even BETTER: Landscape Panning I.S.

Now the first feature that I wanted to explore, which may not be the most important feature to many, is the minor improvement they made to the already incredible 5-Axis Image stabilization. It was already a miracle (well, in electronics and digital world nothing is miraculous since technology is evolving very fast) that Olympus squeezed in the 5-Axis IS (that created the hump on OM-D) into the E-P5, without causing a hump. They further added a mode called S-IS Auto which is a "landscape panning I.S. as stated in the description on camera. What does it do? When using the S-IS Auto, the camera will detect that you are panning the camera (horizontal axis, eg left to right) and it will disable that particular axis for smooth motion blur, which was intended. 

Let me explain why this improvement is crucial for me. In order to create a smooth panning shot, Image Stabilization has to be switched off. Olympus has introduced several panning modes optimized for panning, but they have to be activated individually. Image Stabilization is probably one of the least toggled control, and recently the dedicated IS button has been dropped from newer cameras. To disable the IS, one needs to dig deep into the menu system, or the super control panel, which requires a few press of buttons, and this surely will delay the quick response needed to capture that moment when you see it happen right in front of you!! Every single setting change, every single press of button is a waste of time. Usually I would switch from Aperture Priority to Shutter Priority, change from single-AF to Continuous AF with tracking and from single shot to burst (usually set to LOW). Imagine having need to go through all that settings (yes there are CUSTOM menu modes which can be used, lets talk about that another day) and finally, I still need to go into the menu and turn off the IS manually. 

With the new S-IS Auto, the final step is removed. That made life SOOOO much easier, and the camera would just detect the panning and adjusts the IS accordingly. It actually... WORKED!! And it worked well. 


Shot with E-5. Just to show the S-IS Auto option in the IS menu. 

Environmental Friendly
12mm, 1/15sec, F22, ISO200

Cart of Goods
12mm, 1/10sec, F22, ISO125
Take notice that ISO low setting, as reported in the EXIF is ISO125 equivalent. 

Putu Mayam Dude
45mm, 1/500sec, F1.8, ISO200

Gigantic Head
17mm, 1/400sec, F4, ISO200

Portrait of a Stranger 1
45mm, 1/400sec, F2.5, ISO200

100% crop from previous image. Oh glorious Olympus Zuiko lens sharpness. 

New Electronic Viewfinder: VF-4

Together with the Olympus PEN E-P5, the new electronic viewfinder, VF-4 was introduced. I understand frustration of many people everywhere on the decision not to include the viewfinder into the E-P5 body. I too do wish that the camera comes with the electronic viewfinder. Whether the E-P5 should or should not have an electronic viewfinder built in it, the addition of VF-4 is a welcome, because the greatly improved electronic viewfinder, in comparison to VF-2 and VF-3, is fully compatible with older Olympus micro 4/3 bodies (except XZ-1 and E-P1). So what is so great about the new VF-4?

Firstly, the VF-4 is designed to work seamlessly with the PEN E-P5. I have been very loud in my complain, SEVERAL times, in my review of E-P3, OM-D and E-PL5, where I complained about the unsatisfactory LCD (or were they OLED) monitors used, with poor resolution, and the screen being just almost useless to judge the color balance directly on camera. Secondly, on the OM-D, the issue was worse, because the built in viewfinder has a very different color balance in comparison to the camera back screen. The E-P5 enjoys a NEW LCD screen, with MUCH better resolution (1037k dot resolution). On top of that, the color balance on the LCD screen matches the VF-4's color balance very closely!! To me, this is VERY important, because I strongly believe the advantage of using digital camera is providing you the instant feedback, especially when judging white balance and overall color rendition of the image. Having reliable displays, both the Viewfinder and camera backscreen being consistent, is necessary

I like the VF-4 very much. The display, though digital, it looked bright and super detailed. The fact that the viewfinder is larger than most viewfinders is quite an encouraging note. It was comfortable to view even under very bright sunlight (strong advantage over LCD camera back-screen) and I find myself  composing my shots with ease through the VF-4. The only viewfinder out there to measure up to the Olympus VF-4 is probably the Sony EVF, but the Olympus EVF reportedly has higher refresh rate, resulting in smoother display, especially when the camera or subject is in motion. . True enough, I did not feel any "jaggedness" or lag, everything seemed so smooth all the time. 

The transition between the VF-4 and E-P5's back-screen was very well carried out. The efficiency of the auto-switch between EVF and LCD screen has been improved, and the response time of the switch was almost instantaneous. The change of use between the VF-4 to LCD screen or vice versa, was pleasing too. What you see on the electronic viewfinder was what you see on the camera LCD screen, they look almost identical. I do use the LCD screen for difficult angle compositions (low angle and high angle) and the fact that it maintains the OM-D's flexibility in tillable fashion LCD screen, it helped in my shots a lot! In contrary to that, I loved the EVF so much that I always found excuse NOT to use the LCD back-screen, unless absolutely necessary. 

New External Electronic Viewfinder, VF-4

Kendo (swordsmanship)
45mm, 1/3200, F1.8, ISO200

Instructions
45mm, 1/400sec, F1.8, ISO200

Push
45mm, 1/1000sec, F1.8, ISO200

Waiting for Something?
45mm, 1/8sec, F22, ISO200

Holding Hands
45mm, 1/2000sec, F1.8, ISO200

LOW ISO Setting is ISO125 Equivalent?

I might need more testing to find this out to be more certain, but my images shot in ISO Low setting indicated that the ISO value as read in the EXIF embedded, was actually ISO125. Of course we all know that the ISO125 is a pulled down value from the native ISO200 whichi is the image sensor's base ISO sensitivity. Many have suggested that having a digital ND would have been helpful in some situations. I have not encountered a situation where I find the low ISO setting necessary, with exception of my panning shots done when I was testing the improved 5-Axis Image Stabilization for panning. While I slowed down the shutter speed (shooting in shutter priority), I set the ISO to Auto for convenience. As the camera chose F22 under the bright afternoon sun, with the shutter speed forced at slow 1/8sec, the camera decided to pulled the Auto ISO down to LOW setting. Obviously, to prevent highlight clippings. When I got home, as I saw the ISO rating through the Olympus Viewer 3 software, it read ISO125. Or the equivalent of it. 


The 2x2 Dial is Brilliant!!

I like the fact that the E-P5 has now fully functional, dual dials, much like the OM-D (front and back of the shutter button area) and also similar to all top of the line professional cameras. These dual dials being able to control a combination of two of the following: shutter speed, aperture and Exposure compensation, is enhanced further with the new 2x2 dial, which is strategically placed next to the thumb rest at the top right corner of the camera. The 2x2 switch has two options, 1 and 2, both can be customized. Since I left everything to default, the switch at option 1 allows me to use the dual dials to control the default of the camera parameters, such as shutter speed, aperture and exposure compensation. When I turn the switch to option two, the dual dials controls two different things: white balance and ISO setting. This just takes shortcuts to another different level, and I like how all important controls are now within the thumb and index finger's reach. You can almost have a a single hand full control over the camera!


Camera Handling, and How does it feel in hand?

We all know that the E-P5 is NOT a cheap camera at its pricing point. As I hold the camera in my hands, it does feel expensive indeed. I like the texture on the camera (Black version, can't remember how the silver one feels like now). There is a certain class to the feel of the texture. The camera does not feel light at all, in fact it feels as though I was holding an OM-D equivalent of weight. Not that OM-D was heavy, but the slight heft added assurance and should be able to handle larger lenses better. I would still think the 75mm F1.8 will feel out of balance (did not test this out extensively yet), but having that slight extra weight was better than being anything lighter! The E-P5 is still small and light enough to be considered so much more of a pleasure to carry around, in comparison to the bulk and weight of DSLR systems. I used the neckstrap provided and I almost did not feel anything hanging around my neck at all, after all these while hanging Olympus E-5 around it! There really is very little to complain, if any about the handling of E-P5, but I must add that the OM-D E-M5, added with the battery grip, even with single landscape/horizontal grip, will give you improved handling, when dealing with larger and heavier lenses (eg: Panasonic 100-300mm lens).

Taken with Olympus E-5. 
The 2x2 dial switch control, next to the thumb rest. Very useful control. 

Cash in Hand
45mm, 1/640sec, F1.8, ISO200

Talk
45mm, 1/500sec, F1.8, ISO200

Portrait of Stranger 2
45mm, 1/160sec, F2.5, ISO200

Scissors, flowers and candles
17mm, 1/800sec, F3.2, ISO200

Closed Doors
17mm, 1/2500sec, F4.5, ISO1000 (oops, wrongly set!!)

Portrait of Stranger 3
45mm, 1/500sec, F2.8, ISO200

45mm, 1/800sec, F1.8, ISO200


During my shooting, something unexpected happened. I chanced upon an Indian Wedding as I visited a Hindu Temple. When I arrived it was late and the wedding ended. I walked around, and was merrily greeted by little kids, who were overly friendly toward me. 

One boy was fascinated by my camera, and followed me everywhere I went to. As I bent down to take one shot, he grabbed by arm, and begged me for the camera to shoot with. Here I was using a camera that was loaned from Olympus, and the kid was giving me the puffy, pitiful kitten's eyes look, and I thought, what the heck, what harm would it do to let him have the camera for a while? Shocking to me, the moment he got the camera, he was running around, and I had to CHASE him! He was not running away alright, he was just joyful that a stranger would lend him something to play with. So he snapped away happily at whatever that caught his attention. I observed him. He took more shots that he should, and held on to the camera way longer than I wanted him to. The parents were nearby and they scolded the kid and asked him to hand the camera back to me, but I said it was alright to let him shoot a few more frames. 

I set the camera to Aperture Priority (should have set to I-Auto), Auto ISO and then Face Detection AF before handling the camera to the kid. 

I did eventually get the camera back (or else I will never get loaned anything from Olympus anymore) and as I reviewed the images that the kid took, I was actually pleased with a few of them! Not bad from a small kid,  really, not bad at all. I decided to use some of the images he took here!


Brothers! 
17mm, 1/200sec, F3.5, ISO200

The kid in the middle was the one who took the E-P5 and shot a few images, featured in the following image. 
17mm, 1/80sec, F1.8, ISO200

A compilation of images shot by the kid from the previous photo! Not bad at all, right? 

The above 3 images were taken with my HTC Android Phone. Look at the kid go, he has pro standing stance! Serious shooter, yo!

I understand that this is a little bit different from how I usually review a new camera or lens. There will be Part 2, and possibly Part 3 of E-P5 review, where I intend to shoot insect macro, and perhaps cover an event or more street shooting, to test various other aspects of the camera, which I have not yet covered in this blog. Yes, there will be proper macro shots with the Olympus M.Zuiko 60mm F2.8 lens, which I will get from Olympus Malaysia next weekend. Therefore, the Part 2 will come much later than expected. 

I shall also be testing some of the important features of the E-P5 in the weekdays, especially the Wi-Fi built in camera function, which does not require physical shooting. Hopefully, I shall find enough time between my hectic full time job to cover this!

------------------------------------
Please support me by "liking" my Facebook Page (click).

You can help support this site and keep it running by purchasing items from B&H Online Store. CLICK this link and then navigate around to buy anything, and I shall earn a very small commission from the sales. 




You may also read my FULL user experience review blog entries of the Olympus 17mm F1.8 and 45mm F1.8 in the Gear Review Page here (click). 

39 comments:

  1. Robin, nice review..looking out for more information. what about the focus peeking ? Blunty got a review online where he showed the focus peeking working with a CCTV lens. i'll put the link here...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gnUz8NAStw hope it helps. kind regards Arend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the link! This shows that the E-P5's firmware may still be a little buggy. I shall reconfirm this. Will update this entry when I have more info. Cheers!!

      Delete
  2. Retire now man, Little Indian boy Boleh. Kidding

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope that kid's parents can afford him an E-P5. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that kids goes to show how a good tool like E-P5 can allow simple people without the technicalities to focus on more important things like composition.

    I think the user friendliness allow the kids to take amazing shots with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, the user-friendliless, and the fact that the focusing was so quick and responsive (kids do not know how to half-press shutter button to lock focus) made it so much more fun to use!

      Delete
  5. Thanks Robin! Photos were great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, I enjoyed reading the post. Now I wished I waited a little longer to get the EP5. But oh wells, the EPL5 is awesome too. And when will you test the 60mm? I want to come along ;P My 60mm has been collecting dust at home, and I better bring it out to play with it. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind compliments Carmen. Yes, we shall make something happen soon! Will let you know.

      Delete
  7. Hello Robin,
    Thanks for taking the time and effort to bring us the EP5 review and hats off since you are so busy and you actually go out and make the photos happen. Also nice write up as always ... I really enjoy reading your stories about photography... I think the text really complements the review. The EP5 is a very nice camera... but I will still go for the OMD if I have the choice for the weather sealing and the EVF and build quality.. Nice pics man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Johan,
      It was my pleasure doing the review! It was a lot of hard work but I love every single part of it.

      Delete
  8. Boy !! I m delighted to see this post ..to say the least ...
    THANK U ROBIN !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Robin,

    long time no see and speak; somehow the 'sharpness of the photos just 'pop' out - even compared to my accustomed OLY eyes (OMD). May I ask what settings you have put for colour?

    Salivating over the ramifications of the new sensor and IS for the forthcoming OMD / OMD PRO / 43 successor / SONY full Frame mirrorless.

    Woot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mark, long time indeed!
      I did not do anything to the color but I did do something to the contrast. I think I might have push the slider a little too far, creating deeper colors. The color balance was left untouched.
      Yes, I am awaiting the coming professional grade camera from Olympus!

      Delete
  10. Very nice set of images to go with your very nice review, Robin. When I first read your blog post last night, I was wondering if the focus peaking could be "fixed" with a firmware revision. Now I see that you have figured out how to activate it..... but it requires assigning that to a custom function button? Come on Olympus.... How about adding it to the Super Control Panel, and add it as a new "focus mode". Put it right next to Manual Focus. (You would have MF and MFP options.) I know that a button push is faster, but I have to get into the Super Control Panel to change it to MF, and then push the custom button for MFP(eaking).... Now this definitely seems like it could be changed in a future firmware update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Gregg. Now the new super control panel has a new control which is for the dedicated custom button Fn1. You can use the super control panel to change the Fn1 function, and it can be assigned to the focus peaking activation. My mistake was not knowing that the custom button is needed to activate the Peaking. I am not sure if it was set to default to activate the focus peaking, because as I got the E-P5 I immediately assigned Fn1 button to ISO!

      Delete
  11. Awesome review Robin! Looking forward to reading more about the E-P5!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi again Robin!

    Since you failed to figure out how to get focus peaking working, Other people will probably also fail to do it. How about adding a few pics that show how to do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggetsion Rasmus, will do so in my next part of the review.

      Delete
  13. HI Robin,

    I think the 17mm lense just requires some practise and it will become a very versatile tool...I have started shooting with it ..a champagne lense with a black OM-D ...and i think for both portraits and landscape it's a versatile lense... Now if only i can remove the CA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joshua,
      No, 17mm is definitely not long enough for proper, meaningful portrait shots, creating too much distortion when you go close up (head appearing cartoonish). While for landscape, it simply is not wide enough in most situations. 14mm for landscape, or wider, and 25mm or longer for portraits. 17mm is a good general lens, no doubt, but it cannot be specialized in one particular subject. That was my opinion, feel free to disagree of course.

      Delete
  14. Excellent review, and a real pleasure to read, Robin. And those lovely Oly lenses (not to mention your skills!) make the pictures really shine! These lenses have such wonderful sharpness. What I especially love about your reviews is your writing style; it is like you are telling the story to a close friend. A real pleasure.

    Yet another thing that you do very well is your way of describing your way of working with the camera and its controls. Not only do you simply mention the features (like so many others do, mostly in passing) but you actually demonstrate why they are important and how they work and work well indeed. This is not only educational for many but it proves also that it is a actually useful feature and not just marketing fluff.

    And then of the course the Robinesque portraits. Brilliant. And guess what - if I was an Oly marketing executive, I would ask your permission to use the shots of the -oh so happy and excited- kid with the camera. It not only proves that even a child can make excellent shots with this camera, but its great fun even! Oly should be grateful for what you do for this remarkable brand.

    I propose that they give you a nice selection of lenses! :-) And that's final! Are you listening, Olympus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andre,
      Thanks for the kind compliments!
      I think it is important to stay as practical as possible, and I always try to tell as much as I can on how I get my shots and the things that I did, including my settings considerations. That way it is easier for people to relate to what I want to say, and how I come to my conclusions on what I think about certain features or aspects of the camera.
      Yes I am sure Olympus is listening!

      Delete
  15. Hi Robin

    Thank you very much for your excellent review of E-P5. I have also tried the silver one with black M.Zuiko 17mm F1.8 in Olympus Fair held in Japan. It was cool enough to make me regret having bought E-PL5 3 months ago...!!

    By the way, regarding your picture of a kid with a wooden bar, you titled it "Kendo". I am curious how you came with this tile. The image of "Kendo" perfectly suits the picture, but the word itself is from Japanese. Is Kendo popular in your country ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello kaupiko,
      Thanks for the kind words!
      I grew up watching great anime, such as Rurouni Kenshin. And I knew about kendo from that series! Amazing live action movie they did last year, can't wait for the sequel!

      Delete
  16. I have to laugh, Robin, because you always say that you don't like shooting with 35mm-equivalent lenses, but once again you've gotten your best shots with the 17/1.8! At least, I think your best shots in this blog entry were made with that lens. I seem to remember that you also got some really nice candle-lit shots with that lens when you reviewed it.

    I especially like the "scissors, flowers" photo in this review - nicely composed.

    It's a shame I'm not in KL next weekend - I'd certainly like to shoot some macro with you.

    Have fun with the 60/2.8!

    S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Scott!!
      I still do not like using the 17mm! But of course for certain shots in this entry, only that focal length would work, and for those that requires the 17mm field of view, the lens does very well indeed.
      Just finished updating my blog on the 60mm F2.8 macro shoot at butterfly park!

      Delete
  17. ISO LOW & ISO-Bracket? Hey Robin, I like to use ISO-Bracket with my e-P2 to get 3 Jpegs from one ISO200 frame : they cover the spread of the RAW's Dynamic range, reaching to fake ISO400 and ISO100 either side.
    Can you see if the new e-P5's ISO bracket (with camera set to ISO200. Jpegs) makes three distince exposures or if it behaves the same as all the other native-200ISO models in giving two at ISO200 and one fake 400?
    Maybe a bit confusing, but I want to know If I can have ny favourite behaviour back in this most modern body...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ulfric,
      I have returned the camera and I did not get the chance to try the ISO bracketing feature. It was not something I would use for my shooting, so I have left it out. If I do get my hands on the camera anytime soon I shall try it and report it back here.

      Delete
  18. Thanks for the review, very informative. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sharp Picture!
    Thanks for review, it was excellent and very informative.
    thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice post, I bookmark your blog because I found very good information on your blog, Thanks for sharing
    Quality Services & Training Pvt. Ltd.

    ReplyDelete