Monday, May 06, 2013

Shutter Therapy with Visitor from Sweden, Patrick!

Some time last year, beautiful reader Patrick emailed me and asked if we could meet up when he came to KL and have a shutter therapy session, and obviously I said YES! Nonetheless he could not make it last year and about a few days ago, I received another email from him, and he is coming to KL again. I don't think I have met anyone from Sweden in my life before, so Patrick would be the first one. However, he is not exactly new to Malaysia, having traveled to KL for work for several times in the past. We met up earlier this morning and I brought him to my favourite street hunting ground, Pudu. We did some wet market shooting, and Patrick told me he has not seen or experienced anything like Pudu market before!

I took this opportunity to further accustom myself with the Sony Alpha A57 and the amazing prime lenses, DT 50mm F1.8 and 35mm F1.8. 

Say hi to Patrick!! Amazingly warm-hearted dude all the way from Sweden. From the way he described his beautiful country, I feel like wanting to visit it already. Patrick proudly uses Olympus OM-D E-M5 with several amazing micro 4/3 lenses, including that now-legendary lens, the Olympus M.Zuiko 75mm F1.8, which some reviewers claimed to be the best and sharpest lens on the planet. 



Young Assistant

Weight over my head

Morning Smoke

News

Portrait of a Stranger 1

One of the few questions that Patrick did ask me was now do I approach the strangers and shoot them. As I have answered him, I did not have any special trick or techniques to do so, all I did was point my camera at them and started snapping away. Usually when I am at close distance, I would smile and gesture my camera up as if asking permission through sign language, if it was ok for me to shoot them. I would say 99% of the time people here in KL streets that I shoot at are generally fine having their photographs taken. For tighter portraits (headshots) I did break the ice and ask permissions verbally. What was the worst that could happen? They said no, you get rejected, and then move on!! There are plenty more people to choose from and attack on the street, so move on and find your next target. As we moved along the Pudu Market, it was a very friendly environment and we got ourselves plenty of people portraits, that were very willing. 

Perhaps it was the culture in Malaysia where people are not too overly conscious about their privacy, and do not worry too much when they see a camera and do not treat photographers as terrorists. That level of misunderstanding toward photographers (especially street photographers) do not quite exist yet. Surely I cannot say the same with other countries. 

Portrait of an Indian lady

Fully Loaded

Portrait of a Stranger 2

Weighing Scale

Paperwork

Portrait of a Stranger 3

I have finally shot in both JPEG and RAW this round, and inspected the outcome of both. 

I found that the JPEG engine in Sony applies very STRONG noise reduction to the image straight out of camera, even at very low ISO settings. This resulted in very clean and smooth images, virtually free of any trace of noise at all (for those noise peeper freaks, this is a heaven-sent phenomenon), and you really cannot see any noise even shooting at very high ISO settings, such as ISO3200 or 6400. What the Sony JPEG Engine took away from the noise, also eliminated much of the useful fine details. Even at ISO100 and 200 the images came out very soft, and smudged. It was so bad that I almost thought the images looked out of focus!! This explained my earlier complain (about a few blog entries back) about the wide angle lens having focus shifting issue due to images appearing unbearably soft. I was wrong, the image was perfectly fine, but the native noise reduction produced by the camera's JPEG engine was the culprit. Disabling the noise reduction solved this issue. 

The problem is, you cannot turn the noise reduction OFF from in camera-settings. The only way to do so is to shoot RAW, which is something I plan to do anyway, so it was not much of a problem really. Once I set the NR in the Sony's own software, Image Data Converter to "OFF", finally, the clarity, the fine details and the sharpness that the much raved about 16MP sensor came to life. Of course the lenses that I used were not the best to exhibit the strength of the system, but I was not complaining, and was more than satisfied with what I have acquired from the camera's output. 


Chinese Herbs

Slice 

Portrait of a Stranger 4

Portrait of a.. errmm... stranger 5?
This image was shot at ISO3200. Amazing!

Patrick in action with that amazing 75mm lens!

It was indeed great having Patrick accompanying me for this morning's shutter therapy session. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and we had some fruitful idea exchange just about anything from gear to political standpoint and differences in the people and culture. Having visitors also served as a kind reminder that I do have real people who read my blog (sounds strange saying this, but I do sometimes think I am speaking to myself blogging here) and this gives me inspiration to continue writing and keeping this place alive. 

To Patrick, I hope you got some good shots and have enjoyed yourself! Hope to catch you again soon before you leave Malaysia. 

25 comments:

  1. The A57 is really something! Love the colours! The details and sharpness blows me away... Love the eye contact for the portraits and the cat too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johan! I did not do much for the cat though, I think as the lens was "hunting" for focus, and at the sound of focus confirmation "teet-teet" the cat suddenly turned its attention to me!

      Delete
  2. Robin,

    beautiful pictures as always
    also very sharp lens

    oly 75mm/1,8 is better than nikon 85mm/1,4
    http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/olympus75mm/

    paul tirajoh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind compliments and info, Paul!

      Delete
  3. Hey Robin, What fun you guys must have had. Interestingly, Patrick is left eye dominant. At first glance I thought it interesting that when the camera is held in portrait he had the shutter button on the bottom. I can see where this is more comfortable when having the camera up to the left eye... unless Oly can move the shutter button to the other side for left handers....

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter,
      It is always fun having visitors!
      Now the idea of having a camera with shutter button placed on the other side of camera seems interesting. I am sure there are such cameras around!

      Delete
  4. Lovely pictures from the market, as always. Patrick makes for a very good model, too. He looks like the Swedish George Clooney, or maybe that's just your excellent pictures of him. Probably both. He went all the way yo KL and got some shutter therapy and some excellent portraits. Sounds like a very good deal. Probably some good food, too. I always get hungry reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey MarkM,
      Thanks for the kind words! In fact we did have some very good Nasi Lemak for lunch which I did not take any photos of because were already too hungry!!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pictures, as always, Robin! The camera most certainly delivers, and even at high ISO the detail and quality is astounding. The lenses seem to perform very well too, IMHO. I think the color, saturation and overall sharpness have quite a bit more "pop" than with the older Sony.

    Patrick certainly seems to be a nice guy and I think the Oly is in good hands with him. If you have the opportunity, do visit Sweden and the Scandinavian countries. You'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andre,
      Thanks for the kind words, and yes, Patrick is a very nice guy!!
      I surely would love to visit Sweden, falling in love with it already from Patrick's descriptions!

      Delete
  8. I was looking at Patrick's picture and thought "He doesn't seem to know how to use a camera shooting in portrait orientation." Then I realized he's left-eyed and that he's smart for shooting that way.

    Great pictures as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thenoblewanderer,
      It takes a while to figure that out too !

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jonathan,
      Indeed it is an amazing place to take pictures!!

      Delete
  10. Wonderful pics as always. I like Stranger 3 a lot.

    You simply MUST go to Sweden. I would go back if I could but it won't be possible for awhile. Go for Midsummer - simply an amazing land and great people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that the recommendation comes from you, I MUST go to Sweden!

      Delete
  11. hi Robin !
    I was wondering as to what images Patrick must have carrried back home from the shuttr therapy session that u 2 had:).... his blog anyone ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afraid he does not have a blog, but I would like to think he has some great images!

      Delete
  12. Of course real la! You always have so many people commenting on your posts! Keep up the good job! =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi...meet again..i like this place..really3 like this place..when u bring me to this place, i feel that im in wonderland..hahahaha..as i can see there are lot of story inside this place..miss to shoot again at this place..thnx to u robin as u bring me here to shoot with u..want to shoot with u again..
    *hadi nik*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Robin, I envy Patrick a lot! I wish I could stay with you, side by side shooting at Pudu Market. Your blog has been my favorite for a while and now I know why. I found it looking for reviews about Olympus stuff, but that is not the main point. What I’ve found here are photos, lovely photos, and that is a main point! But I have found also human warmth and sweetness. The people you shoot at are sweet; what you write are sweet; there is sweetness and warmth in your replies to people who write you and even in the titles you give to your pictures! I have been learning a lot from you about photography and about humanity.

    I hope one day we can meet, in KL or in Italy, where I live, but meanwhile keep going “amico mio”, because your shutter therapy session are therapy for me.

    Cheers
    Stefano

    ReplyDelete