Thursday, May 09, 2013

Me in Macro Mode

Important Announcement:
Olympus Malaysia will be having an open event on 11th and 12th May 2013 (Saturday and Sunday), and the event will be in conjunction with their new "Premium PEN" camera which was in the teaser they have circulated through e-mail invitations as well as on the official Olympus Malaysia Facebook Page. If you are in Malaysia and you are free on 11th and 12th May, this event is not to be missed. The last I heard, friend and amazing photographer Ming Thein will be speaking too. So what are you waiting for? Go to the following link for registration!! Registration Link: http://home.olympusimage.com.my/event-main.html
Update: The sessions on 11th May (Saturday) are FULL. Quickly register your spot if you have not for the remaining 12th May (Sunday) sessions.

Also, if you have not done so, please support by "liking" my Facebook Page (click here)!!


Some photographs of me taken during a recent macro outing with the Sony gang. Photo credits go to amazing Hadi Nik! Thanks mate. 

My single handed camera holding technique, with another hand holding flash off-camera.



Either I was disattisfied with my previous shot, or I was thinking what to eat for lunch. Was very hungry at one point. 

Not a very fruitful day, I have had more successful finds. But it was enough to scratch my macro itch for now. 



11 comments:

  1. Hey Robin I see the spammers got to you first :(

    So where can I buy that fancy flash modifier you are using?? Must have, must have! Does the tape cost extra?? LOL

    Hope you are having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting tiresome dealing with those spammers!!
      Maybe I could earn a fortune with that shoebox bouncer I made, and should consider mass production!!!

      Delete
  2. hai robin...hahahahaha..nice photo ekk..thnx to publish d pic..as i told u b4..its my 1st xperience in macro world n i like it..its so adventure during macro photo session..this is my next target..to buy macro lens n flash gun..also to d.i.y. flash setting for this macro session..when its done i will tell u..we can go again for macro session..really2 like this session..
    *hadi nik*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Hadi Nik,
      Yes, we must go out shoot macro again, it is fun!!
      Go buy macro lens, I'm sure you will love it!!

      Delete
  3. Robin,
    Wow, you have strong right hand and thanks for the tips (large reflector).
    I have very little experience with macro photography using 75mm + Kenko extension tube in available light, and I don't have an external flash.

    I found this : Macro Photography with Camera's Built-in Flash
    http://home.earthlink.net/~mikelevyonline/Macro_Photography.html

    paul tirajoh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Paul,
      I think it is more about getting used to it than having strong arms that keeps the hands steady holding the camera like that. Nonetheless I must emphasize that this is the method that works for me but I would not say it is suitable for everyone.

      Delete
  4. Nice! I've been following your work for a few months after I got my OM-D + 60mm macro - it's nice to see how you actually position your camera + flash. Now I have to try it for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support and happy experimenting!!!

      Delete
  5. You keep scratching that macro itch - the results are great! Interesting technique, btw. You must have very steady hands. I doubt I could pull it off. A nice monopod might be helpful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andre,
      Thanks for the kind words!
      A monopod would not work for my method as I needed both hands, one to hold the camera and the other to hold the flash, having a monopod would be difficult as I need to constantly adjust the height, and ideally I would need a third hand just for thay

      Delete
  6. Robin, thank your for showing us your "macro with flash" technique! I know that you have described it before in words, but that first photo is worth at least a thousand words. I've been doing a fair amount of macro photography lately, but it's all been in ambient light, and even a mild breeze will drive you crazy trying to catch the flowers while they aren't continuously wagging in the wind. I think I'll try your method, and bring along a flash and bounce reflector next time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete