Thursday, March 14, 2013

Visitors from Jakarta, Indonesia

Last weekend, I met up with a fellow blog reader, Cen Wei from Jakarta, Indonesia, and he brought along his group of family and friends !! Amongst the large crowd there were three strong Olympus fans, and they were shooting proudly with their OM-D E-M5s !! Surely it was amazing seeing friends from across borders coming together to visit this beloved country of mine, and I did my small part in bringing them out to my usual street hunts at Petaling Street for a short shutter therapy session. 

Vinna, Hendry and Cen Wei, all OMD Warriors 

When I started this blog and when I got myself deeply involved in photography never did I expect I would somehow manage to grow an audience reaching outside of my home country. Surely, much thanks to technology advancement and the Internet, we are all easily discovered and connected, wherever we are in the world. My life has surely been more colorful and vibrant having you all beautiful readers around. 

To Cen Wei and company, I hope you all had a great time shooting and shopping in Kuala Lumpur. I sure hope to see you guys again some day in the future ! Keep that photography passion burning!

On a separate note, my day work schedule has suddenly become rather unpredictable, that I might need to work extra long hours, till ungodly past midnight (such is a typical life of engineers in Malaysia). Therefore, much time was spent away from my PC and I may not respond to comments and emails as quickly as usual. 

Meanwhile I had a great time reading Scott Bourne from Photofocus as he put forth his argument dismissing myths about Full Frame camera advantages. Seriously, those who are still stuck with that Full Frame cameras are everything and smaller sensor system cameras are inferior, they really do need to update their knowledge on photography technology progress, which I admit is not easy to catch up since everything in these modern times is moving at blinding speed. 


His ending of that article really got me going: "If your photography is so bad that you put more importance on how your camera looks than your images, there is no hope for you. Start learning to garden, fish or whittle – photography isn’t for you."

Can't agree more. 

14 comments:

  1. Haha, excellent punchline there, Robin. Scott is of course completely right. Just for fun I was looking at some comments on a well-known "rumours" site over DXO results. Reading the comments is like reading the script of a tragi-comedy. Ah, A is better then B, but that's impossible since I think it's crap! And C cannot possibly be better than either A or B since my mother-in-law found one in the dumpster and it was broken! And on and on. Ludicrous, if it wasn't so sad.

    And these guys are supposed to be "pro"? They all believe it, that is for sure.

    One glance at your excellent portrait, above, of the OM-D warriors and I know who's the pro here. Fabulous shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andre,
      Thanks for the kind words. Oh my those comments on DXO results can be really dramatic and over the top !!

      Delete
  2. Great post!!! :D I completelly agree with you.
    Greetings from Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin, I did read Scott's article, great. I am a MFT user owner of the Oly EM5 and the Panny GX1 and I love them, great results! I love your site it's a knowledge photopidia. Lately I've been shooting with the RX1 and that camera is really nice toy. Hello from Colombia!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Iggomez,
      Scott is amazing, he writes plenty of great stuff, mostly truth. RX1 is a great camera indeed !!

      Delete
  4. Start gardening...well i think they will complain about the seeds doesn't grow, the land aren't fertile enough and many more...haha...that's the nature of people, COMPLAIN! COMPLAIN! and COMPLAIN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, complain and complain, because animals also have problems ok !!

      Delete
  5. Thanks Robin for the great time we spent together when we're in KL. Hope to see you again someday!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Cen Wei !! Do come again.

      Delete
  6. Vincent Junior3/16/2013 07:31:00 PM

    Hi Robin.. I'm looking for the dslr camera...so may I know what is ur opinion for e-m5s? Thanks ^^ or any others suggestion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vincent,
      You may read my OM-D E-M5 full 4 part reviews, I wrote very, very, very lengthily there. Go to the above tab "Olympus Gear Reviews"

      Delete
    2. Okie thanks Robin :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Robin,

    So will you tour me around there too when I visit Malaysia?? Hahah just joking!

    ReplyDelete