Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Most Memorable Photograph from This Blog

I have met many people who randomly came up to me and said they read my blog, and often a conversation would follow, discussing my review of Olympus gear, my photography style and of course, some of my photographs which they could recall, which obviously managed to leave some lasting impression. There were  some notable photographs which have been brought up again and again, but one stood out from the rest, and has been the most popular of all. 

It was the photograph of a Bak Kut Teh Claypot at Petaling Street, taken on a Friday night as I was testing the then new Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm F1.8 lens.


This photograph happened partly due to luck. I saw the sparks coming on and off, so I was waiting and waiting for the right time: when the sparks come alive. I stood there for about 5 minutes, still not being satisfied with the photograph. Then the stall operator must have noticed me standing there, and he must knew I was waiting for the sparks. He then did something (honestly I did not remember what he did !!) and moved the claypot, that suddenly the sparks started to burst to life. I said thank you to that very kind man !!

I would not say that this was my strongest shot, but it has become somewhat a favourite. I have even seen this photograph being used in forums and websites (permissions were asked of course) discussing about the Olympus 45mm F1.8 lens. 

I often think that my review photographs were not my best work, because I always did them in a rush (I was given very limited time to review and blog the new gear from Olympus). Nonetheless, from time to time, and I must admit due to more luck than skill, I do get some decent shots !!

17 comments:

  1. My most memorable is the little handicapped man with the crutches walking by the Danger sign. That image still sticks in my head. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Libby,
      That one was taken in my hometown, Kuching, in Borneo!! I still saw that man around the same place where I shot him when I was home recently.

      Delete
    2. BTW the shot you posted is lovely, just not as memorable for me as the little man ;-)

      Delete
    3. Thamks Libby I really like that shot too!!

      Delete
  2. Yes Robin sometimes you do get some very decent shots.(this weeks understatement)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tommy,
      LOL... I find plenty of flaws in my photos when I was rushed, especially for my review shoots.

      Delete
  3. You have many very strong shots, but I can understand why this is one of the favorites. And what a lovely lens it is, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andre thanks for the kind words, I like that lens a lot too!

      Delete
  4. till now i still remember the photo of kuala sepetang at charcoal factory..with very low light condition, u still can manage to take awesome picture..its motivate me to take challenge in any situation in photography..good job robin.
    *hadi nik*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello hadi nik,
      Thanks for the kind words, that was a memorable shooting experience! It was very difficult but I did manage some usable shots. It was luck!

      Delete
  5. Great shot, all the more so because you worked at it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer your real situation review rather than those who used "standard" objects to show the sharpness of the lens or ISO performance of a camera in the comfort of their home or studio. When we buy equipment, it will be used outside and the envirnoment is unforgiving/unpredictable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, I also think the same. You can only fully test the gear when you are faced in real life shooting conditions, where there are factors that you cannot control fully.

      Delete
  7. Well, that review certainly had the desired effect anyway, I bought the lens ASAP after reading the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rasmus,
      I hope you liked the lens !!

      Delete
  8. As you know, I have loved your work for a very long time...but I also have to admit...that shot took my breath away and absolutely was the reason I RAN out to buy that lens. A beauty.

    ReplyDelete