Monday, April 01, 2013

Holi: Festival of Colors

Last year in November during the Deepavali shooting I did while doing my review shoot for the Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm F1.8 lens, I was invited by Luke Chua to return to the same temple and shoot another beautiful festival, the Holi or more popularly known as the Festival of Colors, which happened earlier this afternoon. Back then when Luke told me about the event, I immediately said yes, and it was with much anticipation that I waited, and finally, today was the day. After a long, depressing and stressful week at work, the Holi Festival was one shooting session I knew would make up for everything, and make things right again. 

First of all, I consider myself very lucky to be in Malaysia, because we have Indians as an integral part of our unique multi-cultural society. Therefore, we do not have to travel all the way to India (or its neighboring countries) to witness some of the largest traditional and cultural Indian celebrations, such as this Holi Festival. Of course some may argue that the authenticity and scale of celebration may not be as grand and as beautiful in comparison to the mother country India, but hey, having our very own local celebration within driving distance or for my case, a train ride away from where I stay, I strongly believe this was one amazing photography opportunity not to be missed. Armed with my Olympus gear and Zuiko Digital lenses, I attacked the event with a few friends, and this session was one of the few that I really went all out shooting with my gear without holding back. I seriously poured everything into this session !!

All images were taken with Olympus DSLR E-5 and Zuiko Digital lenses 11-22mm F2.8-3.5 and 50-200mm F2.8-3.5

Pure Joy



Caught Yellow Handed

Dance in the Rain

Color Paintings

The Blessing

From Powder With Love

Spray

Refreshing

To be entirely honest, I have no idea what Holi celebration is, and I was born and raised up in Kuching, a hometown where Indian and Hindus are the minority there, hence I was not exposed to their culture and practices. Nonetheless, useful information can be easily obtained from the web, and you may refer to the Wikipedia description here (click). All that I knew about Holi was from the images that I can find from the online photography sites, as well as the much famed Nikon advertisement with people being painted in colored powders. I think Nikon have influenced largely on the awareness of this particular color based celebration all over the world, and the impact was even more evident here in Malaysia, since we do have a large Indian community here in general. 

When I arrived at the Hindu temple, the celebration already started, and the crowd already went crazy smearing each other with colored powders and spraying waters all around. Not wanting to miss any fun, I jumped right into the "war-zone". I started with my tele-zoom lens, the 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 lens, and composed some very tight shots, shooting mostly from a distance. I wanted to capture the intense emotion, the joy, the laughter, and the endless supply of strong expressions by everyone throughout the whole event. The colors-smeared faces and hair just added drama to the whole scene. It was interesting observing how everyone just came together, and have fun, and bless each other with the color powders. Powerful human emotion: checked. Color, color and more color: checked. Water splashes for dramatic effect: checked. This event is photography heaven come true. 

After spending initial half an hour with the tele-zoom lens, I decided to get in even closer, and switched to my super wide angle lens, the 11-22mm F2.8-3.5 lens. It was really fun getting closer and closer, and I managed some good wide angle shots above the head level, shooting with live view. Being that close means I need to get the camera, lens and myself wet. I made sure my phone was secure inside the camera bag, shielded from stray water splashes. As for the camera and lens, well they could handle themselves, Olympus DSLR and High Grade Zuiko Digital lenses are after all, fully weather sealed, and I have not the slightest doubt that they can withstand the water splashes and powder attacks. It was when I used the wide angle lenses that I managed to get some even more interesting shots, because I get to see whats happening in the surrounding more, and capturing the sense of location. It was after all a rowdy crowd, and very messy indeed, but hey, showing how rowdy and how messy the real condition was can add more realism into the final series of photographs, instead of just clean, tight and properly composed tele-photo shots. I believe a mix of both wide angle and telephoto images complement each other very well, hand in hand. 

The whole event was held outdoors in a carpark area in front of the temple, hence lighting was not an issue. The sky was mostly cloudy, and it actually rained for a little while. The lighting was mostly soft and it was just fitting for this kind of photography, shooting people as the main subjects. Considering the event started at 1.30pm, if the sky was clear, I would imagine the intense sun to cast heavy, ugly shadows in places we do not want on the human subjects. 


Unwilling Victim

Water from Above

Comfort among-st Chaos

Hair Wash

Eat The Colors !!

Mutual Blessings

Eye Protection, from Powders

The most colorful facial make-up ever


Considering the rate how Internet spreads information, the Holi festival has attracted a HUGE number of photographers, and my friends told me the number of photographers almost tripled what they saw last year. I think it will be even worse next year. This poses another issue, which has already cause much nuisance to other photography genres: over-population of photographers presence in an event. Take for example, a fashion show. The photographers conquered the media stage, the front row of the viewing area, that the public are practically blocked off from any meaningful view of the whole fashion show progress. As for this Holi festival, it is not yet a problem, but I foresee the number of photographers to grow each year, at an exponential rate. It is not too far fetched to predict that in a few years the number of photographers present will surpass the number of people who went there actually for the Holi Festival. What a scary thought indeed. And me blogging about this event did not help that situation much either !!

We also noticed that there were many photographers who came, stayed outside the celebration ground, and snapped from far. They stayed for a short while, and left. Unfortunately, for events like this, the most important rule is to get as close as you can, go to the heart of action, blend in, enjoy the celebration, feel what the people there are feeling, dance with the crowd, and then you can get your images. You do not just shoot from far and hope magic to happen. You need to connect to your subjects, you need to be physically present to make that connection happen. I guess the main reason for many to stay far away was the fear of getting the camera splashed by the random water cannons, as well as the color smearing from the crowd. There are a dozen ways you can protect your camera and gear: plastic bag DIY raincoat, using masking tape to cover the whole camera and lens, or buy water-proof bag-housing (more expensive), just to name a few. One of the most important lessons I have learned in my short dabbling experience with photography, is that if you want to get the shot done right, you have got to get dirty. You can't expect yourself not to be affected by what was happening around you and still get away with decent shots. Jump in, participate, and enjoy yourself !! How can you capture the fun that the crowd was having if you do not understand or feel the same fun as they did?

Some of the notable challenges I faced, are difficult composition and the stray water sprays. Firstly, it was not easy to compose in such a messy setup: everyone everywhere, distractions all around, and it was not my usual style to shoot something so random and unplanned. Nevertheless, I told myself not to think too much and just capture the scene as it was, because honest representation of the actual event was also a crucial element in story-telling. Yes, the background was messy and there were just too many distractions, but they all added to the overall atmospheric combination and can play an important role in establishing the sense of "chaotic mess" which the Holi Festival is indeed all about. Secondly, the water splashes did get in the way of my shooting, which I should have paid more attention to. The wide angle lens was weather sealed, but the water kept getting onto the UV filter (you better put in any sort of filter, you do not want those colors to land on your lens' front element). I did not have anything dry to wipe off the filter, and having the wet filter was as if I was shooting with a permanent soft-filter on, creating random blur blotches all over my frame. I have some otherwise very good shots, but they were destroyed due to the water on the filter, which I only came to realized much later. Thirdly, the water somehow got into the viewfinder front, and no matter how I dry it (I did not have anything dry, remember?) I could not clear it off and as I was composing through the viewfinder, it was always, always blurry. Focus confirmation was almost non-esistent, and I was relying on the AF to do its job, without much chimping (the whole LCD screen was also wet). I could not use my shirt to wipe the front of viewfinder or the LCD dry, because all my cloths were also drenched in water after half an hour shooting in the war zone.


Headshot

Rub it in

Happy Hands

Being Young

Happily Blessed

Attach !!

Sisterhood in Colors

Looking at the image output, I was very pleased with what Olympus does with the color. It was the Festival of Colors, and Olympus colors surely shines through this session. I really like how the colors captured were vibrant and lively, yet not pushing to the edge of over-saturation. Although the sky was cloudy, casting flat lighting, the Olympus did not fail to deliver punchy images, with good amount of contrast. A lot of people may complain that modern digital cameras produce images that look too digital, and they often compared the color output to the older film results. I actually do like those "digital look", and they appear a lot closer to what my eyes see, and surely they are more "balanced" and pleasing at the same time. It is after all, the digital era now, and if the camera in any way can look stunning in digital display, I say more power to it !! What is not to like, sharp, detailed images? Beautiful, impressive color rendition? With more and more useful, information to create that sense of reality? I agree color profile is a personal preference. To me, the best colors these days, among available camera on the market, I like the Olympus colors the best. 

Oh did I mention how sharp those two Zuiko Digital lenses are? The 11-22mm F2.8-3.5 as well as the 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 lenses. Those are the lenses that the micro 4/3 system still lack. Yes the 12mm F2 lens is amazing, but it was non zoomable and it was not even as wide as the 11mm, which was reported closer to 10mm coverage in real life shooting situations. We also have the Panasonic 35-100mm F2.8 lens, but hey, at 100mm longest reach, it was not even that long. Placing it side by side with the older Zuiko Digital 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 lens, the 50-200mm wins, because at 100mm zoomed in, the aperture opening at the widest will still be at F2.9. Yet it offered double the reach at 200mm, and with full weather sealing. Bottom line is, for the micro 4/3 mirrorless to move forward and fully mature into a full system, fast zoom lenses are necessary. 

A Little Yellow Love

The Human Touch

They Come in Purple

Powder and Water

Party Zone

Holding Tight

Exhaustion

The Holi Festival was surely an eye opening experience. I enjoyed myself tremendously, and gave the Olympus gear a thorough workout. Now I will have a hard time cleaning the colors off !!

If you do have the Holi Festival near where you live, why not give it a try and make some nice images? It is celebrated in many places in the world, and surely the colorful culture and beautiful crowd are enough reasons to get your camera clicking. If you do not have the celebration near you, then travel to the nearest country that does celebrate !! I think this was one of the most fun photography outing I have had. A little messy, yes, but it was worth it. 

No, the dog was not spared

This sort of reminded me of "Braveheart"

Beautiful Couple

Washing Off

A Face of All Colors

Photo Credits: Luke Chua
My camera was also a victim of the celebration, and say hi to friend Ripi !!

Have you shot Holi before? Do share your experience, and stories if you have. Since this was my first time shooting Holi (surely not the last), I would want to hear from your side of things too. Was any of you beautiful readers there at the same location earlier today? Do let me know !! Also, if you have shot Holi (here or elsewhere) do share some photographs !!

51 comments:

  1. u definitely have presented this Holi event (which i dunno as well) colourfully with ur pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim Hang, sorry I forgot to inform you !!! Lets go next year !

      Delete
  2. Holi Smoke, Robinman! Very nice set of images. Oly comes through in spades with its colors/hues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robin,
    All your pictures are superb. You have captured the full exuberance of the people. This is an excellent piece of photo reportage. A lot of so-called "pro photo reporter" should look to your work to learn the essence of capturing a subject. Best Regards, Daniel M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Daniel M,
      Thanks for the kind remarks, but I do not think they can qualify for photo reportage !! I think my shots were too random and uncoordinated.

      Delete
  4. Hi Robin,

    Looks like a lot of FUN! Good thing your E-5 is weathersealed against the elements which now includes COLOUR STAINING...hehehe. Your shots are amazing as always. The E-5 pics would make a good advertising photo....seriously. Take care mate!

    Eric V
    Edmonton Alberta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Eric,"
      Thanks for the kind words !! I don't think Nikon would be too happy seeing other camera manufactururs using their "signature" Holi Festival photos

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, but please leave a name when you comment next time

      Delete
  6. As usual, nice series & write-up Robin. Let's not forget the smart-phone & tablet owners also a photographer. Sometime being an official photographer can be really stressful & challenging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joseph for the kind words. No worries, the Holi is all about having fun ! You should come shoot next year!

      Delete
  7. Great shots Robin, was not told of this , perhaps we should make out an annual festivities timetable for all concern . Love the colors and the available lights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bikeking,
      Thanks for the kind words. I think it is very difficult to make an annual calendar because the exact date varies (decision of the temple). nonetheless with the advancement of technology, it is easy to find information online these days.

      Delete
  8. Robin

    I have been following your blog for a few months now and I think this series is your best work since I started. When you get close to your subjects, your eye and your technique really shines. From many of your images it was apparent that you were in the middle of the action and not zooming from the sidelines. The colors on your camera and face were just confirmation of this. I can also see why you love this camera.

    I do want to say that I agree with Daniel M, this is an excellent bit of reportage. A cohesive body of work is the result of how the images are arranged and edited. Not the sequence or coordination of how or when the images were taken.

    PaulB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey PaulB,
      Thank you so much for your constant visits to my blog, and I appreciate the encouraging and kind remarks.
      The Olympus gear that I use are just so reliable and they always deliver. You were also right about the arrangement of the images, as a series, I tried my best to present it in a more interesting manner.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful shots.... yet again you have gloriously documented the 'Malaysian' way of life.... The photographs have spoken for themselves...

    It looks like the E5 has successfully shielded your face from the powder. Definitely better than what a OMD can do here....

    How did you get the high shots - with a monopod or stood on higher ground?

    Thanks for sharing such as a wonderful series.

    TH- Sydney





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello TH,
      Thanks for the kind words. Being in Malaysia, what better things to photograph than the local culture and beautiful tradition?
      For the high angle shots, I held the camera with my hands stretched far up, and used the live view for composition. And I am standing 6ft tall, hence I do have certain advantage when it comes to this kind of shooting.

      Delete
  10. Lovely colors... with Oly for the Holy. So how was DSLR after the battle? Thank God it is fully weather sealed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Johan,
      Thanks for the kind words. The DSLR survived of course. Never a doubt.

      Delete
  11. IMPRESSIVE portfolio. Superb Colors. Great photographer. Incredible gears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats Ugo !! You are being too kind

      Delete
  12. I think this is the best entry until i read you, Robin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks !! I really went all out shooting for this event!

      Delete
  13. Amazing. Superb. Spectacular. Amazing detail, colors, and excellent composition. The best work I have seen so far, and that's saying something coming from a fossil like me. What a fantastic camera this Oly is, and what spectacular lenses. Not to mention your many talents, Robin. I have trouble expressing how much a truly adore this set of world-class pictures. Not only have you done these wonderful people and festival a great service, but you also show your exceptional photographic talents. There is literally nothing to improve here - it's, like I said, superb.

    You know, many photographs these days -especially news coverage- makes me almost physically sick, and almost ashamed of being a human being. Your work, your photography makes people (and me) happy, and proud and hopeful.

    I thank you for this. My hat off to you, Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Andre,
      Thanks so much for the kind words, I really do not think I deserve such a praise from you !! I did do my very best and give my all, and I pushed further than usual. I still think there are many things tie improved, and one stupid mistake I did was not having a clean, dry wiping cloth with me to wipe off the front of the lens filter. I did have some good shots, but were ruined because of blotches of water in front of the lens, creating that ugly soft filter efffect.
      Thanks so much for the encouragement Andre, really appreciate it.

      Delete
  14. A truly beautiful set of photographs Robin conveying the dazzling colours of the festival. Shooting with an Olympus certainly helps there. Your ability to shoot 'decisive moments' improves with each post.

    PaulS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments, PaulS. Also thanks for the noting the "decisive moment". Actually I wanted to capture the "raw human emotion", such as bursts of laughter, or their reaction when sprayed with water or smeared with powder. I did not do much really, everyone just went crazy and there was so much life and energy, all you have to do was get close and shoot !!

      Delete
  15. Hi Robin, I just wanted to say you did an excellent job!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Robin
    powerful images.... really.... capturing the energy [there is so much of it ...:)] ,the cheer ,the spirit of the festival in all it's RAWNESS[no pun intended ..:)]
    More than anything else the images are ample proof of the fact that the photographer[yourself] was amidst and part of the mood of the celebration .This certainly was not a bystanders cup of Tea ..so as to say!

    I felt that the take away message of this blog entry[for me] was that when we FEEL invloved with an event ..wonderful images are bound to follow ...:):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind remarks drpankajshukla!
      You were right on the money, the "feel" and being involved directly will open up a different world of photography !! It created a sense of "being there" !

      Delete
  17. How did you clean your camera?
    Very colourful photos Robin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Eugene,
      I just wiped it off with wet cloth !!

      Delete
  18. Hello Robin,

    these pictures are so full of life (as your other photos). Very nice!

    Lenka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lenka !! The celebration itself was full of life !!

      Delete
  19. Jerome LaPlume4/03/2013 09:55:00 PM

    As usual, your images deliver the joy of shutter therapy in capturing the joy of life.
    All those punchy colors and all those happy faces, so inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Jerome !!

      Delete
  20. These are breathtaking images! Really amazing work! I am reading here since a long time and I love your blog but I guess these are the most powerful pictures I have ever seen from you. Thanks a lot for sharing this, I am happy that you did not spare your Olympus gear (as long as it survives - hope you get rid of all this color-mud!).

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Jan. Of course the Olympus gear survived !! Never a doubt on that one.

      Delete
  21. First of all, FABULOUS WORK! No camera or lens can do this without a talented photographer.

    Having said that, seeing these remind me of how much I LOVED and miss those 4/3 lenses. The 11-22, 50, and 50-200 were my absolute favorites! I've now moved to M43, which I enjoy taking everywhere, but man, those lenses!

    Keep up the fantastic work Robin!

    -Hector

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Hector,
      Thanks for the compliments. You are right, those three lenses are simply amazing. Having them, I can do almost everything !!

      Delete
  22. Hi Robin, I'm Matteo from Italy. "Pure joy" is simply one of the best shots i've ever seen. Your work is fantastic. Compliments.
    Carry on !

    Matteo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic pictures. In this case a picture paints a thousand words. I've been reading your blog every since I got my Oly EP3. Since then I've added the 17mm f1.8 after your Deepavali posts. Despite the so-so reviews I read in other sites, it has become my favorite lens

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic pictures. In this case a picture paints a thousand words. I've been reading your blog every since I got my Oly EP3. Since then I've added the 17mm f1.8 after your Deepavali posts. Despite the so-so reviews I read in other sites, it has become my favorite lens

    ReplyDelete
  25. Unreal! In the states there are now popular running events based off this celebration such as The Color Run and Run or Dye. Its nice to see the roots of such events. GREAT PICTURES!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Unreal! In the states there are now popular running events based off this celebration such as The Color Run and Run or Dye. Its nice to see the roots of such events. GREAT PICTURES!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a magnificent, wonderful photos! I so love how you captured the tradition and culture of Holi festival. My best and warmest holi greetings to you!

    Anne Walker
    http://easyday.snydle.com/holi-wishes-messages.html

    ReplyDelete