Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Sarawakian Delight

Gong Xi Fa Cai, and Happy Chinese New Year to all you beautiful readers who celebrate !! May you all have a joyous celebration and a wonderful, prosperous and blessed year ahead.

I have been rather busy myself, hence the lack of updates here. For the first 2 days of Chinese New Year celebrations, much time was spent visiting close relatives. I also made sure I spent as much time as I can with beloved mum, and I did take some time showing her some of my street photographs. Her reaction was simple and direct, she asked a question: "So... you went up to a perfect stranger and took their photographs... and they did not mind at all?" Ahhhh... then the conversation started and she learned a thing or two about my not so secret activities in the weekends.

One of the many joys of being back in my hometown Kuching is of course the plentiful local dishes that are only available here. The one favourite dish I must have is none other than the famous Sarawak Kolo Mee. Joining me for supper was Frederick.

Sarawak Kolo Mee is yellow noodles served dry with oil base made of pork lard, onion, garlic and vinegar. It is accompanied with strips of char siew (BBQ pork) and 'bak cho' (minced meat). One of the must have Sarawakian food, I must say. To wash the noodles down, a glass of Teh C Peng was perfect.

Oh, and that CCTV lens 25mm F1.2 on E-PL1 did well in shooting food!! I have Libby to thank for this.



13 comments:

  1. Lovely food, and it looks very tasty! That CCTV lens is giving great, somewhat funky bokeh as well. Nice. And... good to see you give ample time to your mother! Mothers are so special and so precious.

    BTW: here they say Kung Hei Fat Choi! Is what you say, Gong Xi Fa Cai, Kantonese or am I completely delusional now? :-)

    Hope you are having a great time there! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andre,
      That was very accurate, how did you learn to speak Canto? I do not speak Cantonese actually, and my own dialects that I converse in my hometown are Hakka and Hokkien. Both very different from Cantonese.

      Delete
    2. Do Jeh. I picked some up in my travels to China and, before that, in Hong Kong. But don't be too impressed, I'm certainly not fluent in Cantonese! Just the basics. Joi gin!

      Delete
    3. I am so jealoous, I have not been to either China or Hong Kong !

      Delete
  2. Robin, OK, so now your Mom will be updating her computer, getting the highest bandwidth connection available in her community, and become one of your regular - daily - readers. Mom's always like to know what their children are up to! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, she knows I have a blog for some time now, maybe she has been reading silently.

      Delete
  3. Wow Robin - the drinks with those light! I have not yet been able to incorporate a lot of lights with the food shooting.

    Your Mum found you out! Now THAT's funny! For the very limited amount of street shooting that I do, I've actually had people walk into a frame and pose for me unasked. That's funny too. I hope you have a grand time on your holiday and we miss you!

    Thank you very much for the blog mention - I'm honored ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And BTW it's also worth mentioning that the 25mm lens aperture has only 3 blades and the shape can vary. I find that to be a lot of fun with that lens.

      Delete
    2. Hey Libby,
      The shot was taken outdoors in an open air food court, and due to Chinese New Year celebrations there were plenty of funky lights around.
      Also I forgot to mention I used an extension tube for the second shot, and that was quite a close up shot!

      Delete
  4. Hi Robin - Seem like the drink and foods are delicious.. The lens is very interesting, and I just place the order for one for my EP2....

    Regards
    Francis from Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Robin
    Wish I could join you for "Asian Delights".
    Getting very hungry looking at your food pictures. :-)
    Best regards
    Wolfgang R.

    ReplyDelete