Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Month of January

I know it is too soon to do any sort of reflection, but I do think my month of January has been rather unusual in my photography adventures. For 2013, I told myself to be more open minded and explore photography opportunities outside my own comfort zone. I dared myself to take up new challenges, and try new things. 

Me speaking at a Sony User Gathering, sharing on Street Photography. 
Photo credits: Hadi Nik, Kevin Ng and John Shum


In the past one month:

I have been to a protest rally and survived one of the largest public demonstrations in Malaysia.

I tried my hands on studio portrait photography for the first time. Amazing experience !! Certainly not my last. 

I shot Lee Chong Wei, the National Badminton Player at Maybank Malaysia Open 2013. And I figured out that Sports Photography is not exactly my cup of tea.

I went to Ming Thein's photography exhibition launch reception. Not an everyday thing for me to visit an exhibition. I should do so more often. 

I shot Thaipusam Festival at Batu Caves, one of the central point of the celebration in the world, with 1.7 Million visitors (God knows how many were photographers instead of Hindu devotees). 

I also had a chance to do some insect macro photography, something I love doing so much, and still managed to do plenty of street photography.




My presentation slides for the Sony User Gathering I was speaking at last Sunday.

One unexpected twist for this month, I was invited to speak at a Sony User Gathering at Sony Store, the Curve last Sunday. I was giving a presentation on Street Photography, and I shared about 60 of my street photographs taken with the Sony A350 in the span of 3 months.

Unexpectedly, more than 30 people turned up for the event, and it was a full house !! Lets just hope no one fell asleep when I was speaking. Seriously, it has been quite a while since I last spoke publicly.

Jason Lioh made an appearance for the session, thanks mate for the show of support !! Appreciate it heaps. 

I think I have never had such a busy and productive month before, and lets hope the same continues on for the rest of the year. February will be a slower month for me, mainly due to the Chinese New Year celebrations, which is a huge thing for us Malaysian Chinese. I will be travelling home to Kuching and spend about half a month in my beloved hometown, with much missed family, relatives and friends.

I do miss Kuching, and look forward to return.

Surely Janurary has been vibrant and colorful !! I wish the same for all of you beautiful readers !

12 comments:

  1. Hi Robin,

    You had a typo in your presentation slide... It's Robert Capa with a 'C' not 'K'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha its too late now. The presentation is over. Nonetheless the message was clear.

      Delete
  2. Donald W Leitzel1/31/2013 04:16:00 AM

    Hi Robin,

    You really captured the soul of street photography in your presentation. I recently attended an exhibit entitled "Walker Evans & The American Social Landscape Photographers" The term "Social Landscape" is really another way of saying "Street Photography" much of your work has the same quality.

    Like you I enjoy using prime lenses. I like to go out shooting with one prime lens and zoom with my feet. Letting the lens dictate the image.

    Keep up the good work.
    Don

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Don,
      Thank you so much for the kind comments. Really appreciate it !!
      There is a still a lot for me to learn and improve on.

      Delete
  3. Outstanding presentation - - I stopped the flow to review slides I wanted to look at longer. Modesty is a virtue but you needn't be overly modest about your photographic vision and technical skills. The quality of your photos speak loudly! Please continue what you're doing. I'm learning a lot from your work. When I look through my camera lens and consider my choices, I apply things I've learned on your blog. So if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then consider that a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rev,
      Thanks so much for the kind words. I have no issues with people using my ideas, if I did, I would have not shared them in the first place ! Sharing is an important step of learning, and I do so through my blog here.

      Delete
  4. Do u know robin..when u stat to give a speech..all audience start to give fully attention to u..really2 want to know about ur experince in street photography..from d beginning till d end, d presentation is full with knowledge..thnx for ur sharing n tips..its nice when u give a speech..thnx a lot..happy holiday robin..happy chinese new year..
    *hadi nik*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hadi,
      Thanks for coming to the presentation, really appreciate it a lot. I am glad you find my sharing useful, I hoped it was helpful in any way it can be.

      Delete
  5. This dinosaur is proud of you, haha :-) Excellent work, Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers Andre!!
    If only the dinosaur could talk!

    ReplyDelete