Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Nick Davis Live at the Bee, Publika

Side Note: This blog has just surpassed 4 Million page views !! Woo Hoooo !! I hit my first Million last year in January, which means, in the past year alone I received about 3 Million hits. Sometimes I do wonder where did all of you come from? 

It was a weekday evening, so what does an engineer cum out-of-place photographer wannabe do for entertainment? Find the coolest live music performance in town of course. I have stumbled upon Nick Davis when I was shooting a live performance for the Olympus XZ-2 review some time ago, and since then I have become addicted to his modern electronic infused with rock music. So I told myself if he was going to perform live in public, I must make it to show him my support. And so I did earlier this evening !!



All images were taken with Sony Alpha A350 and DT lenses 50mm F1.8 or 35mm F1.8

The opening act for the night was So, I'm Jenn.







Now, here is the main dish for the night, Nick Davis !! He performed some of his recent songs, including my favourite Lost In Time. 







The lighting as usual in typical restaurant/bar was horrendous, and I just could not bother to deal with the inconsistent color casts, hence the black and white presentation. 

Yes the images was full of noise as I was shooting with the old Sony that does not tolerate high ISO shooting very well, but who cares? It was not as if I was going to sell those images. No one was hurt, no harm was done, even if there was traces of noise in the image. 

Joining me tonight was Choon Wee. Do check out his blog, he has got some amazing shots from this event !

I thoroughly enjoyed myself, surely Nick Davis is one heck of a talented artist. If you have not, please check out his facebook page and listen to some of his music, maybe you will love them. There is something about listening to live performance that trumps studio recorded audio, the atmosphere, the loudness of the music just gets my blood rushing. And the opportunity to work my camera? An extra bonus for the night. 

18 comments:

  1. The black and white add a wonderful moodiness to the photographs. Nicely captured emotions too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks atmtx for the kind words !! The main reason it was in black and white was because the original colors were terrible, too bad to make any good photographs. I just did not think there was any way to make it work, hence black and white.

      Delete
  2. Also, Congratulations on your 4 million milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your photography, as always. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had some excellent access to being right at the edge of the stage. You captured a great set of photos! Congratulations on the 4 million mark, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not a large stage, quite a small one, and we were free to move around, and I tried my best not to be distracting to the crowd by staying at the edge (not the center !!). Thanks for the kind words !

      Delete
  5. As usual ur photography are awesome ..can feel d emotion when look at ur photo..good job n congrat!!
    *hadi nik*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the second image. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The second portrait of the young lady is lovely, the emotions were well captured and the noise add some beautiful vintage b & w effect to the portraits! Its as if you were shooting with an old film camera! One of my favorite subject to shoot is also 'portrait'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johan !! The grain was added, I only used ISO400, it was too smooth and i felt something was missing.

      Delete
  8. Comparing Choon Wee photos to yours I personally prefer yours better since you got closer to your subject further capturing the emotions... 'if its not good enough then you are not close enough'. Did you get that close Robin or did you crop the photos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Johan,
      I personally like Choon Wee's photos because of his composition and the way he saw the stage. He was using a 50mm on full frame camera, while I used the 50mm on a cropped sensor, hence I could get much closer. I cropped just a little bit.

      Delete
  9. The 2nd and 4th shot of the young lady are stunners, and the B/W processing is spot-on for this type of shots in bars (the colors would be inconsistent anyway? The lighting is no doubt very bad). Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andre !! The original light had changing color casts, ranging from purple, pink, blue, green.... red... and they all destroyed the beauty of the stage. I almost wanted to find the switch to turn all the horrible colorful lights off.

      Delete