Saturday, January 19, 2013

Ming Thein's Photography Exhibition at Leica Store, Malaysia

Just about a few days ago while I saw a fellow Malaysian photographer, Ming Thein posted on his blog about his photography work being exhibited in Leica Store Starhill Gallery, Malaysia, and there would be an opening reception earlier this evening. I thought to myself it was a great way to start the weekend, by immersing myself with some amazing photography work done by Ming Thein in prints, and mingling with some like-minded photographers here locally. Ronnie and his lovely wife, Carolyn joined me and attended the opening reception earlier this evening !






If you have not heard of Ming Thein, you are surely missing out a huge part of the online photography community. Much like myself, Ming also diligently reviews new photography gear, but he is not just restricted to Olympus. Unlike myself presenting my reviews from a perspective of an ordinary photography enthusiast, Ming Thein shares his opinion from a professional photographer's point of view. I strongly admire his macro photography work, especially his work with watches where he employs various techniques such as composite image (focus stacking) and setup of multiple wireless flash units for advanced lighting control. He has an international audience and he conducts photography workshops as well. Recently, he was the chief judge of the prestigious Maybank Photography Awards. 

Do visit him if you have not at his blog here (click). 

The man himself, Ming Thein. 




The title of the exhibition is Diametric opposites: East and West, where Ming Thein presented his photography work in two different parts - first series of images being taken in the span of four years, from various locations during his time in Europe, while the second series of images were being shot within one hour during last year's Thaipusam festival in Batu Caves. The first series of Europe images were shown in black and white, while the Thaipusam series were all in full, glorious rich color. It was the contrast and contradiction between the two series that added drama to the overall presentation. 

I spotted some really awe-worthy images by Ming Thein in the exhibition, and my only complain was those images were printed too small, the print size did not do justice to convey the "grandness" of the photographs that they deserve. 

The exhibition runs from 18th January till 18th February, so if you are in KL, do check it out at Leica Store Starhill Gallery !!

It is a Leica event after all. And I was shamelessly shooting with my Sony. 

Food and Drinks

Candid

For some reasons they just stopped talking and looked at me. 

Full house

Albert (a strong Sony user, spotted with an A99) and Raja Indra Putra

Ming Thein, together with the two friends I came to the event with, Carol and Ronnie

To Ming Thein, congratulations man !! It was enjoyable seeing those amazing work of yours being printed and exhibited. Also keep up the great work in maintaining your blog and making it such a great place to visit. Your photography and writing are truly inspiration to many everywhere, and I am proud to have known you. 

18 comments:

  1. What an enriching experience... I wish we could have such photographic events here! Again wonderful set of images(love the food shots)... I guess you did not use flash this time!? Hey Robin, did you happen to try a Leica at the event, how does it feel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Johan !! Nope, it was all available light. You must understand me being an outsider using an alien system shooting, surely flash would draw too much unwanted attention !!
      And no, did not bother trying Leica. they do not fulfill my needs in photography (I use long lenses a lot, I do macro, I need AF, etc).

      Delete
    2. Hi Robin,

      Your pictures are more inspirational (with non-Leica gear) than what a lot of photographers can achieve with a Leica.

      All the best!

      TH - Sydney

      Delete
  2. Hello Robin

    Thank you very much for your documentation on the opening event at Ming Theins exhibition. I should have liked being there my self. I got to know about the remarkable work of Ming through your blog. I really appreciate both of your blogs, your passion for photography and all the effort, you put into sharing all this with us, your readers. Very often I visit your blogs. What I like about both of your approaches to photography is your distinct ways of perceiving your worlds through the lens.

    I had been searching for a while for something more than just reviews on gear, when back in November I came across your blog. Here I have found a lot of inspiration in your articles and thoughts concerning many of the matters making a good photographer and a photographer making extraordinary images.

    Shameless nice photos from the Ming Thein exhibition shot with your Sony. Excellent documentation!

    Best regards,
    Bjarne Erick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bjarne,
      Thanks so much for the kind words, and thanks for staying with me !! It was my pleasure to share my thoughts and photographs here surely and I am glad some people have found my blog reviews useful !!

      Delete
  3. Two passionate photographers who both introduce the world to the joys of photography but who both share with the world the joys, the beauty and the challenges of Malaysia in the 21st century. Thank you for sharing. Celebrating others' goodness takes a big heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Reverend,
      Thanks again for the kind comments !! Indeed it was a pleasure to share, and a privilege to know Ming Thein !

      Delete
  4. Two passionate photographers who both introduce the world to the joys of photography but who both share with the world the joys, the beauty and the challenges of Malaysia in the 21st century. Thank you for sharing. Celebrating others' goodness takes a big heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Ming Thein !! Thanks for having us there !

      Delete
  6. My 2 favorite Malaysian photographers, together! Very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, unless they put no 'brand' camera , for instance SONY, are allowed, except LEICA, then i think you should get LEICA for yourself...hahaha...and Ming Thien, i adore his work...congratulation to him..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will have to rob a bank first. Want to join me?

      Delete
    2. yeah lets do it, and then, we can take picture of prisoners doing some craft on the wall of their cells...hahaha...

      Delete
  8. Congratulations to both, Ming and Robin. Even thought I am located at the other side of the word - South America - , I follow your blogs as an Olympus fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for the support !!

      Delete
  9. Pretty! This has been an extremely wonderful post. Thanks for providing these details.


    Also visit my blog post; Espresso Maker

    ReplyDelete