Monday, December 03, 2012

The Quiet Morning

Important Note: I have been away for the past weekend to Batu Pahat on a wedding assignment, with very limited connectivity to Internet. Therefore I shall be replying comments and emails a little slower than usual. The weekend has been quite a fulfilling and enjoyable one !!

It was a Saturday morning, that Shaun, a friend from Brisbane whom I have shot on the street previously, called for a street shooting session. It was decided among-st the group that the shooting location would be Petaling Street, and everyone (at least those who confirmed) agreed to meet on location. However, as Shaun and I arrived, it was only the two of us, and somehow, somewhere communication went wrong and the few others who originally were supposed to join Shaun  (I personally made the confirmation), ended up on the other part of Kuala Lumpur streets. Oh well, so much for modern technologies keeping everyone connected. We decided to shoot on our own, at Petaling Street. 

All images were taken with Sony Alpha A350 and DT 35mm F1.8 lens

Big Box



Cages and Newspaper

Friendliness

Sparkling eyes

Incense coils

Table Fan

On Five Foot Way

Handywork

Meat Market

Advertising





Kenn Wai



Approaching noon, I received a call from a dear friend, Fred, who told me he was nearby, just finished a photo-assignment, and would want to meet up for lunch. I did not exactly have that much time to spare, since I needed to travel to Batu Pahat (about more than 3 hours drive away from Kuala Lumpur) for my own wedding assignment in the same afternoon. We did meet up for a quick lunch and then drinks. Fred was with Kenn Wai, both very respectable wedding photographers from Malacca. It was great catching up with some old friends. 

Shaun was rushing off to Vietnam too, it did seem like life is a bit on the rushy side for everyone these days. It was quite a short morning spent, and I sure did hope you enjoyed yourself on the streets Shaun !! My sincerest apologies on the communication mix-up, I knew you were eager to meet the rest of the gang. Lets arrange something again when you come back to KL soon. 

11 comments:

  1. Wow, give Robin a Holga and he'll produce smashing images. It's a pleasure to read your actual-usage gear reviews since they are coupled with fine images to boot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not true !! If you give me holga I cannot produce anything I have above !

      Delete
  2. A great post again Robin! I had a ball on the street and do promise to post my version shortly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... shutter therapy in the morning and wedding assignment the same day in the afternoon! Nice set of pictures with the 35mm.. it different too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johan, the wedding was on the following day, but we travelled the day earlier so we can have enough rest before the shooting started early in dawn.
      I am loving the 35mm !

      Delete
    2. I don't know how to explain it but I can see that the the images produced with the 35mm is much better... maybe sharper... I even think that the colour is better! I also love the perspective produced by the 35mm...Prime lens is the way to go!

      Delete
  4. Love your portrait work! You have been very busy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have been notice your blog for quite some time and also try to have some street photograph last week. Can you please share how the people can smile or laugh when you shoot on them? I found quite difficult to do so....seems strangers are so mind on the shooting while I wanna shoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do read up my previous write-up on this topic here:
      http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2012/03/approaching-strangers.html
      http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2012/05/street-portrait.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Robin. I will go thru it....you have lots of great post!

      Delete