Thursday, December 27, 2012

My Desktop and Birthday Gift

It was my 28th birthday yesterday, and as a thank you to all you beautiful people for your undying loyalty and support to this simplyROBIN blog/website, I give you a glimpse into my mini-workstation, or more like a snapshot of whatever that can be seen on my desktop. Yeap, this is where all the photo post-processing has happened, and countless hours has been spent on writing blogs, replying comments and emails. As well as monitoring what some weirdos and trolls wrote about me on 43rumors and DPReview forum sites. 

Here it is, my humble, simple, nothing-special desktop:



From the above photograph:

1) Not-seen, a 2 year old AMD powered desktop PC computer. Sufficient power to process my not so resource hungry Olympus and Sony files. Can't say the same if you throw in D800's files though. 

2) Bookshelf speakers powered by an unseen no-brand power amp, supplemented strongly by two unseen subwoofers on the floor. I need plenty of music and powerful bass to pump me through my endless photo post-processing works. The louder the music, the faster the beats, the quicker I can work. 

3) Those grey stuff animals on top of left speaker have some very personal meaning to me. I shall perhaps talk about them in the future. 

4) 22-inch, 3 year old, LG LCD monitor. I once looked at a friend's humongous 27 inch OLED screen, and was seriously considering an upgrade, but the thought of going through the process of color calibration as well as "mind-eye-computer" coordination just took too much trouble that I just stayed with this old LG. 

5) Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, which I bought on a good discount, and I somehow regretted. You see, I play online games, and there were a few occasions the battery on either the keyboard or mouse DIED right in the middle of my game. That was a nightmare. 

6) A mug of hot coffee or Milo close by. To keep me awake obviously, if I was not really awake. 

7) The Sony was on table, meaning that I took the above photo with my Olympus. 

8) Oh that RM10 cheapo manual fixed flash you see tucked away next to the LCD monitor, shall be a paper-weight soon.

and.... one interesting item.... that book between the keyboard and mouse....

This was the gift I bought for myself for my Birthday. 

I have been reading too many fiction books that my brain has processed mostly fiction stories. I can count the number of non-fiction books that I have read with my two hands. Hence I decided to go for a non-fiction in my next to read list. And I went for Micheal Woodford's story, which is still hot by the way, considering that the "scandal", possibly the biggest corporate financial drama ever in history is the main focus in the book. 

Now, I am not too sure if the book is entirely non-fiction, but hey, that is not for me to judge. I have a feeling I am going to enjoy reading this. 

42 comments:

  1. Donald W Leitzel12/27/2012 12:07:00 AM

    Robin, thanks for pictures of the nerve center for all the interesting and informative test, as well as thoughtful street photography. You show respect for your subject unlike some photographers. I really enjoy your macro photography. Your desk shows that it does not require a lot of gear to produce a quality result.

    Happy Birthday from America.

    Don

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Don !!
      I believe in being human first, then a photographer second. This was a quote from another photographer, which I could not remember. We should all respect one another.

      Delete
  2. Nice workplace - tidy, functional, homely. I like it. I like the speakers too, by the way. I'm sure with the subwoofer and even with a no-name amp it'll sound just fine. I'm not so sure our taste in music would be the same :-) Old rocker here - ELO, Zeppelin, that kind of stuff makes me happy. Anyway, you sure prove that you don't need gigantic expenditure to deliver first rate work.

    Dump the milo -- too much sugar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andre,
      LOL !! But Milo tastes so goooood !!
      I listen to anything really, alternative rock, slow rock, pop, a bit of jazz, r&b, hip hop, vocal, and even instrumental, such as piano solo (or they call that new age).

      Delete
    2. Make your own - cocoa, hot milk or water, some cream, Stevia powder if you can get it, or Splenda. Much cheaper and your body will later thank you when you're old, wise and ugly like me. The latter not being an advantage. Nutritional science is a bit of a hobby here, for some complex historical reasons ;-) Hip hop is not my cup of tea (let alone milo) but the other choices are approved, lol. Enjoy it all!

      Delete
    3. LOL !! Cheers for the tips.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday! Hope you had a wonderful day and that the year may be full of the best photos ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Susan !! Best wishes to you for 2013!

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday! As they say, great art evokes both love and hate. Mediocre art passes by unnoticed. Don't let the haters get you down. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wataru !! That was very kind of you to say. I shall keep that in mind.

      Delete
  5. Uh oh... no Apple gear here (joke)... Thanks for sharing! Just love the stuff animals... and Happy birthday! Wish you lots of happy sessions of shutter therapy and keep this blog rolling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Johan,
      Thanks for the kind compliments. I would love to use Apple hey, but its over my budget !

      Delete
  6. Congrats, Robin, a very successful 2013 for you and simplyROBIN.
    With lots of therapy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks pbl !! Yes, more shutter therapy to come !

      Delete
  7. "The louder the music, the faster the beats, the quicker I can work", i like that phrase, you should hear Dubstep music...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Robin (belated one). Incidentally, your birthday falls on the same day of my wedding anniversary. :)
    Thanks for all the beautiful work of yours. I started following your blog since your review of the E-PL2. And i wish my workstation is as neat as yours. I know i need to clean up my desk... well, hahaha!
    Enjoy the rest of the year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Calex,
      Thanks for the well wishes, and kind words. And congratulations of your wedding anniversary !!
      Well, my desktop is not always looking like that, it has its messier days of course.

      Delete
  9. Niced blog & i always open your lovely blog.. any tips when i edited a few photos in my PC with adobe lightroom & my PC become slow & slower.. Chong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chong,
      I don't use lightroom tho... but do make sure you have sufficient RAM !! Cheap upgrade, but improves performance by leaps and bounds.

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday! Buy you dim sum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Robin! I'm not surprised to see that your desktop is as open, unpretentious, and honest as your photography and your writing. Keep up the good work, and much joy in 2013!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom !!! Nothing much to hide though really, haha. It is just a simple workstation, nothing to brag about. But it's a place where I have spent a great deal of my time !!

      Delete
  13. Happy Birthday Robin and all the very best for 2013. Trust you had an enjoyable X'mas as well.
    I have enjoyed following your photography blog for a while from Down Under so this seems to be a good time to say hello.
    Keep up the good work.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well wishes, and thanks for the kind comments. Glad you said hello, always good to hear from visitors !!

      Delete
  14. Hi Robin,

    Just to say I have really enjoyed reading the various articles on your blog and the photos you take are so amazing and colourful. Many happy returns for your birthday :)

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil !! The well wish is much appreciated !

      Delete
  15. Hi Robin,

    Happy Birthday! I mean Happy Birthday to us as it is also my birthday today :) Thank you so much for the various photography tips you have shared in your wonderful blog. I wish you good health and more wonderful picture opportunities to come next year!

    Mabuhay from the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jalaed,
      Thanks so much for the kind words !! Happy Birthday, and Happy New Year to you too !

      Delete
  16. hello Robin,

    love you're blog, oh yeah i have a question ... if u have opportunity to chose a camera between SONY NEX 5N and Olympus E-PL5, just for daily use, and just a kit lens use, just say, u just have the money just for body and kit lens (and u never have a thought for buying prime lens in the future, u just happy with the kit lens :D) hehe ... witch one do u chose ?

    thx robin for the help, best regard Denie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denie,
      First of all, kit lens will not be sufficient, it is wise to look ahead and have some contingencies for future upgrade.
      I have not used an NEX-5N, never touched it so I shall not give any comment. the Olympus E-PL5, as I have reviewed, is highly recommended. Amazing image quality, and camera performance.

      Delete
    2. wow, it's quick reply :D, thx very much for the answer, btw, do you ever concern about size sensor ?
      i mean the micro 4/3 with APS-C sensor ? is there really big different for daily use ? coz i just see it the result on the 19" computer and some time print it A4 size the biggest i ever use ...

      Delete
    3. Denie,
      I have been using 4/3 sensor for many years how. Both for casual use and paid assignment. I have happy clients, and reasonably good comments from my blog reader community.
      Sensor size is not the only equation in making good photographs. Good optics is equally as important. Olympus is known to produce some of the best optics in the world, with their cutting edge technology in microscopic and optical equipment used in medical practice.

      Delete
    4. Denie, in addition, if it is not too much trouble, you may download full size images from my 2 Part review of the 17mm F1.8 lens, which was used on the Olympus E-PL5. The full resolution images should be sufficient for you to see whether the 4/3 size sensor is good enough for your usage. You may download similar full size images from APS-C sensor from other sites and do your own comparison.

      Delete
    5. Robin, i did download the e-pl5 file, and the om-d to, head to head with the Nex it's really not that big different, but it seem the kit lens from olympus more sharp than the kit on the nex (16mm f2.8, and 18-55) is a little bit soft ...

      thx Robin ... :D continue the good work

      Delete
    6. No worries, Denie.
      Recently, Scott Bourne from Photofocus.com sold off all his Canon Full Frame gear, and went all micro 4/3 only. So that should show something from a professional photographer's point of view.

      Delete
  17. someone's a neat freak!!!!!!!!!!

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete