Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The World We Live In

Panasonic Lumix LZ8

This photograph somehow represents to a certain extent how I see the world we live in. It is always moving, constantly changing, and us, the citizens being forced out of our own comfortable pace. Sometimes I feel dizzy, sometimes I feel tensed, and there are times I just wish the world would stop for a bit and I can actually rest, and just not worry about anything at all for a bit. It is difficult to put what I have to say into exact words, but this photograph somehow summarizes everything rather fittingly: the contrasty dots on the dress against a moving background created strong tension in the photograph, and that awkward expression to match her awkward action (probably arranging her hair) added the important idea to the photograph: our constant struggle to fit in and conform to our surroundings. 

I do wish life is simpler !!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Robin,
    You need a break mate! Take some time off. Plan to finish a project at work and then change companies, take a month off between. Take yourself off the treadmill to somewhere where the view is fresh and new, and you don't need to hurry.
    Or go sit on the beach at Pulau Tioman for a week. Take your camera, but don't take a computer or phone. Rainbow Chalets are a good spot. Cheap as chips, good fresh food, cheap drinks. Freshen your mind!
    Try reading "Walden", by Henry Thoreau, before you go.
    Cheers,
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tom, you should rest a bit Robin. Take the fresh air out there..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robin

    Every once in awhile we shld stop and listen to our baby when its telling us it needs to re-charge. Go take a short break ..... no mobile, no TV, no newspaper, no anything except ur camera. Go off to any hidden path. Thats what I normally do.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daniel !! I will take that advice.

      Delete
  4. You got some good advice already, I see. Shutter therapy, just like the doctor ordered! Take care and relax!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, what you've said here is exactly why I picked up a camera in the first place. I needed a reason to get myself out of the current of life and observe and really see what was going on around me. We miss a lot in our daily lives, and photography gives us an activity to find the beauty that passes us by unnoticed. It can be a meditation of sorts. Every moment offers us something beautiful; we just have to take the time to see it.

    You do an even better job of that than I do, Mr. Wong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Dillan.
      I think photography is about capturing the moments, beauty and anything that is around us. Seeing is an art, and photography is an art of seeing.

      Delete