Monday, October 22, 2012

New Shooting Location

I think I have recycled my shooting locations around Kuala Lumpur with nothing new for the past 2 years, shooting on the same streets: Chow Kit, Pudu, Jalan Masjid India, Petaling Street and Bukit Bintang area. I always find each street to be unique and different and I always come home with interesting subjects no matter how many times I have gone through the same streets. Perhaps, it was knowing the streets well enough that I have felt comfortable with the streets, I was able to move closer to my subjects and shoot without the fear of the unfamiliarity toward the shooting location. 

Yesterday I was eager to shoot at this new temple that I have discovered on last week, while shooting the Chinese Opera. It was the Nine Emperor Gods Temple in Ampang. I had to take a train that stops about a kilometers away from the temple, and as I was walking toward the temple from the train station, I found that the streets there (in Ampang) was not too bad for street shooting !! It turned out that I spent about 45 minutes shooting along the 1 kilometers stretch of old shops and buildings leading to the temple, and I stopped for breakfast. I have found quite a few good opportunities here !! 

All images were taken with Sony DSLR A350 and DT Lenses 50mm F1.8 and 18-70mm F3.5-5.6

Bare and Exposed



Public Display

A Bright Sunday

Sticker Advertisement 

A Free Cigarette. 

Eco-Friendly

Green

Movement

Mouthful

I was shooting with Sony Alpha A350 and was just getting comfortable with the system. It is not exactly a perfect system, with so many flaws I can start to make a long list, but ironically I found myself enjoying myself shooting with this 4 years old dinosaur. Did I find the camera lacking or restricting what I intended to achieve on the streets? Did I ever wish I had a better camera (or my Olympus gear) with me instead? No and No. The camera performed adequately under brightly lit conditions, and the Olympus could probably perform better due to sharper optics. To be honest, unlike macro photography or serious portraiture shooting, street shooting has less emphasis on critical sharpness and technical perfection. It is ok if the images are not super sharp, or has soft corners. It does not matter if there is plenty of chromatic abberation, of even the presence of ugly high ISO noise. What makes street photography work is a lot more than all that, and the photographer should be concentrating on finding interesting subjects, and work with the subjects, instead of worrying about whether the camera can perform or not. 

I was alone in this shooting session, and I find myself more in-tuned with my surroundings and spotting more interesting subjects easier. Perhaps it was also partly due to the charm of being in a new place for the first time, and everything is new and fresh, hence I was more open to new opportunities. However, shooting alone means there was no conversation at all to disrupt the shooting, and you have no excuse but to truly focus on shooting, and shooting only. If you have something specific in mind to accomplish, you will surely do it much better being alone, without disruptions. When you shoot in your group, your attention is divided into many things, and you will never be fully focused on your own shooting. 

I have nothing against shooting in a small group (I have everything against shooting in a large group, say 6-8 people or even more), I almost all the time would shoot with a gang of 3-4 other similarly minded (street shooting) friends. Being in a group of people, it has automatically turned out to be a socializing event, and you have to talk, and that was not a bad thing, talking and sharing opinion, encouraging each other and providing live feedback/advice can be constructive in many cases. I guess for myself, I need both, shooting in a group, as well as shooting on my own. Shutter therapy works both ways. 

Chanting

Full House.
Slow Shutter speed of 0.8sec used, with camera being held above head level, using the tilting LCD screen for composition, thanks to the very fast live view implementation on this A350. 
Also, that super stead shot (built in body IS) works !!

They come in all sizes

Burning Joss Sticks

Hands full

Passing Flowers

Burning fast.

Shared space

The destination of interest for the day was the Nine Emperor Gods Temple in Ampang, but as I arrived inside the temple, I found myself surrounded by so many people, it was quite uncomfortable to shoot. Everyone was constantly moving, and every single place that you stand, stopped and shoot, you will be obstructing someone behind or in front of you, moving around the place like busy ants. Furthermore, since it was the Nine Emperor Gods festival, the amount smoke produced from the incense and jossticks being burned in the temple was sufficient to choke an elephant. It was suffocating and the ashes and burned residue  can be seen floating, no, filling the air, flying everywhere, landing on hair and body. You can tell if someone has been there for a while, their cloths and hair have more amount of ash/burned residue traces. Oh, and they hurt the eyes too !!

I had a wedding dinner reception to shoot on the same day, so I decided not to over-exhaust myself in the morning, and cut the temple shooting short, so that I can have enough rest in the afternoon. 

Surely, the discovery of the new shooting ground at Ampang was quite a joy. And that temple, shall be revisited when it was a lot less filled with people. 


56 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. But I've only been using Sony for one week !

      Delete
  2. Very nice photos, doesn't matter what gear you use - I'm sure any camera in your hands would give great results :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RTI, and dont worry I still love Olympus, I do !

      Delete
  3. Nice photos as always. Would you mind if I ask you whether you PP the photos? If yes, mind to share how you PP it? thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kenny,
      Thanks for the kind words.
      PP, similar as shooting, varies greatly, depending on situations, photo to photo. There is no one guideline or rule that applies to ALL photos.
      Some photos I changed the contrast/brightness, some photos I added certain color, some photos I need to darken, so as you can see, it is not possible to "share" it. The important thing is that what you do in shooting and later on in PP will create the image that you intended, the look that you want in the photograph.
      Perhaps there is something specific that you want to ask? Like how to correct white balance, or how to compose?

      Delete
  4. You certain have an interesting mix of cultures and religions in your country! What religion was the temple you were at? I've never seen anything like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dwight,
      Its Chinese older practice and religion, very similar to what you would find in China.

      Delete
  5. Lovely work again! The pictures in the temple are very, very impressive indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good shots, good subjects, composition etc. but the colours for me are not so interesting like you had before from olympus. I'd say that colour signature is a little bit faded but maybe this was your intention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello Arek,
      Thanks for the compliments !! I thought the colors in the photos were quite saturated with strong contrast !! Hmmm...

      Delete
  7. Amazing shots again! How did you manage the 'passing flowers' shot? The colours are very pleasing even inside the temple... Its surprising that you can shoot so easily in a religious place!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Johan !!
      It was the Nine Emperor Gods festival, hence everyone there just cared about getting the rituals and prayers done !

      Delete
    2. The passing flower was a panning shot done with very slow shutter speed (1/10sec) and fill in flash, using the pop-up camera flash.

      Delete
    3. Wonderful technique Robin... I tried doing it once.. but its not as sharp as yours...I'll try to practice more.

      Delete
    4. I think its takes a bit of practice, and you will get it. Of course there will be hits and misses !

      Delete
  8. Need hoѕting? Get the top ԁeals at http:
    //hοsting.toρ-infoгmation.net/
    Feel free to visit my web page allthebestproducts.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is actually a nice and helpful piece of info. I'm happy that you simply shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

    Take a look at my blog post :: NFL Jerseys Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the helpful info you supply in your articles.
    I'll bookmark your blog and test again here frequently. I am rather sure I'll
    be informed lots of new stuff right here! Best of luck for
    the next!

    Here is my web-site; who invented soccer

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it's time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read more things about it!

    my web site: Air Max Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is appropriate time to make some plans for the longer term and it's time to be happy. I've learn
    this submit and if I may I want to recommend you some interesting issues or suggestions.

    Perhaps you could write subsequent articles relating to this article.
    I wish to read more things about it!

    my web page - Converse Basse

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoa! This blog looks exactly like my old one!
    It's on a totally different subject but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Excellent choice of colors!

    Stop by my weblog: Air Max

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great article.

    Also visit my web page: Louis Vuitton Handbags

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about
    this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
    I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit, but instead of
    that, this is excellent blog. A fantastic read.
    I will definitely be back.

    my blog; Air Max Classic Bw

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whats up this is kinda of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
    I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

    Also visit my page: Air Jordan France

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello friends, how is everything, and what you want to say about this paragraph, in my view its really remarkable in favor of me.


    my homepage - Air Max 93

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, for all time i used to check web site posts here in the early hours in the dawn,
    since i enjoy to learn more and more.

    my blog; Abercrombie and Fitch

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is the right blog for anybody who would like to find
    out about this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you
    (not that I personally would want to…HaHa). You certainly put a new
    spin on a topic which has been discussed for a long time.
    Excellent stuff, just excellent!

    Here is my web page :: Nike Air Max

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing! Its really awesome piece of writing, I have got much clear idea concerning from this paragraph.


    Also visit my site ... Authentic Sidney Crosby Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  21. This design is steller! You most certainly know how to keep a reader amused.

    Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my
    own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Great job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more
    than that, how you presented it. Too cool!

    Review my webpage Abercrombie Bruxelles

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, incredible blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is fantastic, let alone the
    content!

    Feel free to visit my web-site; Wholesale NFL Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the images aren't loading correctly. I'm not
    sure why but I think its a linking issue.
    I've tried it in two different browsers and both show the same outcome.

    Visit my site - NFL Cheap Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  24. I do not know whether it's just me or if everyone else encountering issues with your site. It seems like some of the written text on your content are running off the screen. Can somebody else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them as well? This could be a problem with my browser because I've had this happen before.
    Kudos

    Here is my web site: Nike Air Max

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm really impressed together with your writing talents and also with the structure in your weblog. Is this a paid subject matter or did you customize it yourself? Anyway keep up the nice high quality writing, it is rare to look a nice weblog like this one these days..

    My blog post :: Wholesale Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  26. Everyone loves it when individuals come together and share thoughts.
    Great website, continue the good work!

    my homepage :: Michael Kors

    ReplyDelete
  27. Having read this I believed it was very informative.
    I appreciate you finding the time and effort to put this short article together.
    I once again find myself personally spending a lot of time both
    reading and commenting. But so what, it was still worth it!


    Feel free to surf to my blog post: Sito Ufficiale Gucci Borse

    ReplyDelete
  28. Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon
    your weblog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact
    enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I'll be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently fast.

    Also visit my homepage ... Mario Lemieux Black Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great article.

    Look at my website - nfl jerseys cheap

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi there, I read your blogs on a regular basis.
    Your humoristic style is witty, keep up the good work!

    Also visit my site - Cheap Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good day! This post couldn't be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this write-up to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

    Here is my blog www.tedxyse.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very soon this site will be famous amid all blogging
    users, due to it's pleasant articles

    Stop by my weblog; kris Letang jersey

    ReplyDelete
  33. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I certainly loved every bit of
    it. I have got you saved as a favorite to check out new things you post…

    my web site - Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello, this weekend is good for me, for the reason that
    this occasion i am reading this great educational article
    here at my residence.

    Look into my web blog: Louis Vuitton Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hey I am so glad I found your blog, I really found you by mistake, while I was searching on Bing for something else,
    Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say
    many thanks for a remarkable post and a all round enjoyable blog (I
    also love the theme/design), I don't have time to read it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the great job.

    Also visit my webpage ... Louis Vuitton Bags

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very nice post. I definitely appreciate this website.

    Keep it up!

    Here is my blog post - http://www.explorethecapabilities.com/cheapjerseys.html

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's remarkable in support of me to have a web page, which is good in favor of my know-how. thanks admin

    Here is my blog post :: Cheap Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  38. What i don't understood is in reality how you're no longer actually much more smartly-appreciated than you might be now.

    You're so intelligent. You understand thus considerably on the subject of this topic, made me for my part imagine it from so many various angles. Its like women and men aren't involved until
    it's something to do with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs nice. All the time take care of it up!

    Feel free to visit my site; Abercrombie Paris

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a stuff of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable know-how on the topic of
    unexpected feelings.

    Feel free to surf to my blog: Abercrombie Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete
  40. Aw, this was a really good post. Spending some time and actual effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I hesitate a whole lot and don't manage to get anything done.

    Here is my website; michael kors canada

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hey there! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering which
    blog platform are you using for this website? I'm getting fed up of Wordpress because I've had issues with
    hackers and I'm looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

    Feel free to surf to my website; Sac Guess Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete
  42. What's up, after reading this amazing article i am also cheerful to share my knowledge here with friends.

    My web blog; slc-wireless.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi! I could have sworn I've been to this site before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it's new to me.
    Anyhow, I'm definitely delighted I found it and I'll be bookmarking
    and checking back frequently!

    Look at my homepage Air Max Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hello colleagues, pleasant post and fastidious urging commented at this place, I am actually enjoying by these.


    Also visit my website :: Louis Vuitton Bags

    ReplyDelete
  45. There is certainly a lot to learn about this subject.
    I like all the points you made.

    Here is my weblog Michael Kors Outlet

    ReplyDelete
  46. Greetings! This is my first visit to your blog!
    We are a team of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche.
    Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on. You have
    done a extraordinary job!

    My blog: http://www.tedxyse.com

    ReplyDelete