Monday, October 08, 2012

More KLPF Stuff

UPDATE: Limited Edition M.Zuiko 12mm F2 Black Kit is available for purchase through online order. Head to the official page here (click) to check out the promotion. There are only 60 units available in Malaysia.


So I went to KLPF again for the second time, this time I was with the Jasonmumbles. We went really, really early when the crowd has not started to build up, so we can have our hands on some very popular cameras. 

Just some more photographs and coverage of cameras that I have missed out on the previous visit..

Jason trying that much raved about D600. Though it is a full frame camera but the body does not have that solid reassuring feel, and the handling is not as good as expected. Placement of buttons and shortcuts are odd, a little all around the places, but as the salesperson highlighted actually once we are used to the camera it should not be a problem, which is true. 



Chimping and pixel-peeing on the backscreen of D600, it seems even at ISO6400, the image comes out clean of noise, and surely this was expected from a full frame quality. I just do not understand why Nikon would want to dwarf down the camera with limitations of functionality such as 1/4000sec shutter speed limit and slower flash sync speed. Even their D7000 has highest shutter speed of 1/8000sec, which does not make sense at all. Nevertheless, this camera will be Nikon's greatest success this year, and surely the sales would go off the charts. This is the cheapest offering of the full frame body so far, and most people would not care about anything else, and just wanted desperately to join that "full frame" club. Thankfully I have not been infected with that disease. I am perfectly happy with my "small sensor" system. 

Pentax K5 and Pentax K5 mk2. They both look so identical !! The K5 mk2 was absent when I visited Pentax booth yesterday because some one took it away for test drive. 

I have very high respect for Pentax K-series, especially their K-5, and now the K-5 Mk2. Great camera, with very good handling, weather sealing, as well as great image quality. If I were to shy away from Olympus for whatever reasons, Pentax is in my strong consideration. However that ever increasing price of their lenses (the last I heard there was a jump up to 50% price.... WTF !!!) was not an encouraging news, if I were to start a new system. Having tried the Pentax K-5 Mk2 briefly.... the shutter sound was.... weird..... but I liked it !

Hey Kirk Tuck, are you reaaaaaally gonna get one? Sony NEX VG900, full frame video dedicated beast. It was behind show-glass, we were not allowed to touch or try the camera. That thing looks HUGE !!!

Alright, I did promise to shoot some girls, right? There were plenty more, but I figured, why fight with so many other photographers over the same subjects? It was getting redundant and a little.... pointless. A friend actually questioned me why I was not that interested in taking photographs of girls so ever readily available for shoot at the photography show.... and I answered him: "To be honest I'd rather shoot random kids and old people and any strangers I can find on the street". He gave me the strangest look I have ever seen, as if I was from another planet or something. 


I did not stay long this time, and as expected, I returned home empty handed. The good news? At least I do not have to resort to eating grass for the rest of the month. Wallet is safe, and yes I know, as a gear reviewer, I have a very strong resistance toward gear upgrades. Strange, but true. 



25 comments:

  1. Hi Robin,

    Always enjoy reading your blog.

    Re: Nikon D600

    It actually makes sense that the max shutter speed would be slower on a FF camera than an APS-C. On a focal plane shutter, there's more distance to cover on FF.

    As for button placement, I suspect if you were a D7000 user, you'd be quite happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Derek for the kind support.
      I guess I was expecting the D600 to at least match, or have higher specifications than the D7000, since it should be positioned higher. Having 1/4000sec is quite limiting in some shooting conditions.

      Delete
    2. Basically it does from what I can tell, apart from the shutter speed which I suspect is the same mechanism as the D7000 (ND filters if you really need them). Basically Nikon are selling a D7000 with a FF sensor. Whether that's worth the price is more open to debate.

      Thanks for writing.

      Delete
    3. Very true, some would surely not approve of the "similar spec" with the D7000, but many would still buy the D600 for the sake of joining the full frame craze. I think that mentality of "Full frame will always be better than anything" is gotta stop at some point. But after all these years spent by Nikon and Canon in brainwashing the public, it cannot really be helped.

      Delete
    4. Well Robin, its clear that you are not in a hurry to 'upgrade' to a full frame sensor... However, have you ever tried one? How does it compare to Micro Four Thirds, specially Olympus? ... just curious...

      Delete
    5. Hey Johan,
      Lets just say I am perfectly happy with what I have now, and I do not find the necessity to jump into full frame system.

      Delete
    6. Robin, great article as usual!

      Johan, I was shooting FX and recently sold it for an OMD system. Unless you are shooting serious sports, or feel you absolutely can't live without the extra dof that FX gives you, there's not much to miss. Except the weight, which is a good thing!

      Delete
    7. Hey Ken,
      Glad to know that you are enjoying the OMD system, it must be liberating to use something much smaller and lighter !

      Delete
  2. It may be true about getting used to it but that doesn't mean they shouldn't/can't place the buttons efficiently. Haha. I believe we can all control the important functions with one hand while the other supports the camera weight whereas you have to use both hand to do the same thing on Nikon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can reach all the important controls of my E-5 at that top right control panel with the separate LED display. All shortcuts are there, AF points, dual control dials (front and back, for shutter speed, aperture or EV compensation), ISO, metering, White balance, everything important is accessible there without the need to look else where.

      Delete
    2. Only Nikon doesn't. Haha. Not so sure about Sony though.

      Delete
    3. Never heard any complains about Sony though about their button placements.

      Delete
  3. Robin, I enjoyed your posts about this photo show. Did you use you E-5 for the photos in the posts? Those four Sony "booth babes" are some beautiful young women!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gregg,
      Thanks for the kind words. Yes I used the E-5 and 25mm F2.8 pancake lens for all the shots in this blog. Sony sure knows how to sell their cameras I must say !

      Delete
  4. Hey Robin, you already have the best camera and lenses, why need more. Check out the "Steve Huff" Site on Oct 1 a review of E5 by Craig Kitten and you know what I mean.

    Best regards
    Francis from Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Robin

    Great making u in person. As I have mentioned to u that u are THE person that influenced me to purchase my OMD5. Really happy with it and had "hit" the bugs in buying too many lenses. Haha. just took delivery of my 60mm Macro lens. Looks liked FRIM this weekend.

    Many thanks for sparing a few minutes of ur time and have been using ur terms of " shutter theraphy "

    Cheers
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Daniel,
      It was great meeting you, thanks for your support and visits to my blog, really appreciate it. Glad to find that you are enjoying and making the best out of your OMD system. Shoot more and enjoy photography !

      Delete
    2. Now I go everywhere with at least a camera in my bag. Going to enjoy photography liked the way I enjoy my chinese tea which is also one of my interest. Both have not been kind to my wallet but have been giving me a richer outlook in life and its pleasure.

      Delete
    3. I am sure you will enjoy photography. Tea is for your taste sensation, while photography is to feast your eyes.

      Delete
  6. I appreciate the FF craze as it did let me sell my old Nikkor lenses for a good price and get the OM-D and some great Oly primes instead.

    My old D200's 10mp files is fine for most people when printed and with m43 giving good result up to ISO 6400, I believe the crave for 24MP+ FF files are purely due lust for the theoretical best image quality. Think if more people used some of the gear money to take classes, go to interesting places etc instead. I'm sure, that would provide a lot more interresting photos...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, if we spend more money on going places and learning, surely we will have more photography opportunities and improve !!

      Delete
  7. Hi Robin,

    Thanks for getting me into the E-5... still the best investment !!!
    We are now in Florida, and enjoy wildlife and theme parks, the E-5 is always on my shoulder !!

    Kind regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rick,
      Glad to hear that you still love and actively use the E-5 ! I am loving it too.

      Delete
  8. I've attempted to the earlier 35 an extended time to do away with and Carry on to maintain OFF my abdomen unwanted extra fat. I have attempted just about every minimal thing from meals strategy capsules, private trainers, each foods plan ever proposed, I with the second shell out on two fitness center memberships, at any given time, as well as have not had the time for you to advantage from the benefits of both among them in in excess of a year. I have to state that only thing that aided me easy diet meals hoping the environment, ease additionally the availability of your solutions at the moment currently being opened from five:00a.m right up until ten:00pm would inspire me to stay on course, attend various in the cardio programs, aquatics courses, stage lessons etc…

    Here is my web blog :: transitions weight management supplements reviews

    ReplyDelete