Friday, September 07, 2012

In Full Glorious Color

Alright, I admit I have been a little overboard with black and white images lately, and almost everything that came out from my street shooting sessions have been presented in monochrome. I will not go into the long discussion of black and white versus color photography, because I see them both as entirely different mediums of photography, and each should stand on its own, and has nothing against each other. The comparison of which medium is better would be inappropriate, because both has their own set of strengths and weaknesses. Both color and black and white are fully acknowledged as important and valid photography approach, and in order to understand and appreciate them, it is crucial for the photographer to explore them together. 

Therefore, in this blog entry, all my images taken shall be shown in full colour. All images were taken with Olympus PEN E-PL1 and CCTV lens 25mm F1.2

The rise of Nikon Film army. Luke Ding and Nick Wade, shooting company for the night. 



Citizen and Yellow Umbrella

The Stairs that cannot be moved

Shoes that fit

Perspective

By the carpark

Awaiting

Happy Chatting

On the steps

Times Square

Stranger 1

Five Foot Way Artist

Under Renovation

Stranger 2

The man that Sparkles

Different Generations

Have a gulp

There is no denying Olympus is delivering one of the best colors ever, being true to life, and very pleasing to the eyes. It is not difficult to achieve great color photographs just by using default JPEG engine from most Olympus cameras (DSLR and Micro 4/3 system), even straight out of the camera. This surely saved plenty of time tweaking and correcting the color balance, and coming home from the late night shutter therapy session, I could easily unload the photographs, and published the selected few here in this blog, before I call it a night. 

I am not sure about you, but I rather spend more time out there shooting, and less time on computer post-processing. Consequently, more photographs to blog and share with you beautiful people out there. This blog, what I am doing here and my shutter therapy, are all about photographs !!

You will surely see more color stuff coming from me soon. Of course I have not neglected black and white, perhaps it shall be the mixture of both. We shall see. Can't wait for the weekend's shutter therapy session !

25 comments:

  1. Yes, Oly Color! My favourite Cams colorwise are E1 and E510, never shoot RAW with 510, because the colors are just right!
    I like STRANGER 1 (I´m a dentist, lots of work for me in KL!?)

    bw
    Sven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E-1 and E-510 are great cameras !! Yes, maybe you can consider working in KL !

      Delete
  2. ahh glorious colour indeed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of color, Olympus, Nikon and Fuji have always been my favourites at default settings as they push the saturation just a bit, but mostly keeping it natural looking.
    I have tried out lots of cameras over the years and viewed online photos. Fuji can be sometimes over the top in saturation by default on skin tones, but mostly pleasing anyway. Canon seems to be less saturated look and more neutral, not my favourite, but can be boosted or in camera profile selected. Panasonic used to be too bluish tint tones in early cameras instead of warm skin tones like Olympus, however in their latest cameras in M43 such as GF3, G3 and later, the new white balance is considerably better for skin tones being much warmer. Olympus, Nikon and Fuji got the wonderful skin tones right a long time ago.
    And love those rich blue skies from Olympus cameras and overall jpeg colours.
    My opinion, naturally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never liked Panasonic colors, usually the colors looked not balanced, with slight green cast (speaking of G3 and LX3/LX5). I sure hope they fix this issue in their newer cameras.
      I have not had enough experience with Fuji, heard wonderful things about Fuji color as well.

      Delete
  4. Nice images, as usual. However, I find the rendering of the images with the CCTV lens a bit distracting. The visual effect it renders is as seeing with the eyes of heavily intoxicated person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tobias,
      I think we are expecting too much from the cheap little lens, which was not designed to be used on digital cameras. We can list down dozens of flaws but hey, if I wanted technical perfection, this lens would not be my first choice. It was a fun shooting session. I can live with the compromise.

      Delete
  5. Hi Robin, once again, fully agree with you, spend more time in shooting and less time in computing. Oly color is always one of the best in JPEG, why bother to shoot with RAW.. my 2 cents

    Francis - Toronto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Francis,
      When shooting just for fun, in my shutter therapy sessions, JPEG is surely more than sufficient !!

      Delete
  6. I like both of your B&W and Color photo. Your CCTV lens always give me trouble, I start thinking about it every time after looking at your photo. With the excellent color JPEG from Olympus and the unique rendering of CCTV lens, your photo look excellent and post processing is not necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelvin for the kind remarks. I did post-process a little. The output from the CCTV lens lacks contrast, and usually is very "light". Color balance is very good, so all I needed to do was boost up the contrast, and the image just pops.
      You can get one for your E-M5, after all it is so cheap !! You wont regret it even if you do not like it.

      Delete
  7. Under Renovation is my favourite. Reminds me of Half Life ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like something in City 17 eh?

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing those great images, Robin. Seems that everyone has their favourite image. My favourite image is Stranger 1. It's a very rare catch with those 'teeth' and the bokeh is fantastic.
    BTW I will be doing my lone shutter therapy again tomorrow.
    May you have a great evening, Robin.
    John Ragai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey John,
      It was the teeth that got my attention !

      Delete
  9. I love the "man that sparkles", lovely swirly bokeh and colors. Stranger 1 is also strangely touching, perhaps since than man has very, very sad eyes. What a perfect lens such a "imperfect" lens can be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andre. I love that stranger photo too, somehow there something compelling in his expression.
      Sometimes we have chased perfection too much, that imperfection may be the answer we seek !!

      Delete
  10. Hi Robin,

    Really nice color shots. I have been following your blog for about a month or two now. I am new to photography, after your (and others) reviews of the omd em5 I decided to pull the trigger and buy one... couldn't be happier that I did. I was curios, why have you not been shooting with your em5 since doing the reviews? Also, do you know anything about a release date for the 60mm macro lens (tried the 50mm w/adapter and autofocus was to slow for my taste)? Please keep up the posts and reviews, I enjoy them very much. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Alex,
      Thanks for the visits and support, really appreciate it a lot.
      I never had an E-M5, the review works was done with a loaned unit from Olympus. It was only loaned to me for a few days, and ever since, I have given it back to them, and I do not have an E-M5 anymore.
      I have invested heavily on my set of Cameras and lenses and it is not the best decision to add on another camera at the moment. I am still very happy with what I am using now.

      Delete
  11. Robin, I really like the 1st photo of the Nikon film cameras and also of the Golden Man. Both have great, colorful bokeh in the background. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gregg, the unusual weird bokeh from the CCTV lens sure is nice to look at !!

      Delete
  12. Woah! I'm really loving the template/theme of this site. It's sіmplе,
    yet effectіvе. Α lot of times it's tough to get that "perfect balance" between usability and visual appeal. I must say that you've ԁone a awesome job wіth this.
    In aԁdition, the blog loads eхtremely quick fοr me on Safaгi.
    Excеllеnt Blog!

    Feel free to surf to my sitе ... uptown homes for rent

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll right away seize your rss as I can not in finding your email subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you have any? Please let me recognise so that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

    Have a look at my website: Http://Www.Planohomesforrent.Biz/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Itís hard to find educated people on this subject, however, you sound like you know what youíre talking about!
    Thanks

    Also visit my web-site Bio Tech College

    ReplyDelete