Saturday, August 11, 2012

CEX 2012 (Camera & Electronics Expo)

So there is this supposedly the largest camera expo in town, happening this weekend at Viva Home Exhibition Hall, and my mate Choon Wee and I decided to pay it a visit. To be honest, this was not exactly the most auspicious time to hold any camera expo at all, considering there really is nothing new to be overly excited about. All the major announcements will happen some time next month for Photokina, and I believe it would have been more appropriate to have the expo perhaps one or two months after the Photokina, with test models and demo units of the newly announced camera and lenses being available for public testing. At the moment, some of the latest gear are not even available, such as the Panasonic G5, Nikon J2 and Canon EOS-M. Interestingly, they did not even have the now available-everywhere-else-in-the-world except Malaysia Panasonic X lens 12-35mm F2.8. Seriously, with the absence of all those, how do you expect people to be hyped over the camera expo, showcasing come cameras which were probably more than 1 year old?

Nevertheless, since I was already there, I did have a look around, and snapped whatever interesting things that caught my eye. 

All images in this entry were taken with Olympus DSLR E-5 and Zuiko Digital lenses 25mm F2.8 pancake and 50mm F2 macro. 

Sony NEX F3, the latest release from Sony NEX series. The pink looks rather catchy. 



The much raved about Sony RX100. Seriously, leaving that thick plastic on the lens front???? When I tested the camera it even had some issues locking focus and hunting. Sometimes I do not understand the mentality of people doing business here. You want your customers to experience your camera's full potential. You want to demonstrate how FAST the Autofocus of your latest compact pocket camera can be, to justify its hefty price tag. Putting that piece of plastic cover is not only making the camera looking so ugly, but it destroys the usability of the camera. If you care so much about the resale value of that demo unit, seriously, don't even sell cameras to begin with. 

Meet the ugliest camera in history. Pentax K-01.

And it looks even uglier from the top. *gasp

Canon EOS-M. I asked the salesperson: "why is the EOS-M behind glass? Why not put it out for demo?" he asnwered: "its not for sale". I was like..... huh? "is that a dummy unit, or a working unit? Why not let us have a try?" Then he answered again "It is not for sale". At that moment I felt like slamming that guy's head with my E-5. Perhaps its magnesium alloy body can crack his skull. That should knock some common sense into him. 

White colour EOS-M. As Steve Huff puts it, somehow the camera looks "unsexy". I agree. Though me saying this sentence has caused a HUGE wave of negative reaction from some friends. 

Pentax Q system. Wait, it is still alive??

Dennis giving the Olympus 75mm F1.8 a try. 

Choon Wee handling the 75mm. 

Now, that is a winning combination !!

Most of the cameras and lenses on display were nothing new. I strongly think that timing is everything. To have a successful event, you do need that hype going on. Fuji showcasing their X-Pro, X10 and X100, those are nothing new anymore. Nikon D3200 is not exactly a head turner for an event, and it was already on sale at the local stores more than a month ago. As for Sony, the NEX F3 is situated at the bottom of the NEX line, hence it was not a massive attraction either. Coming to Olympus, E-M5 has hit so many headlines in the photography community that if people seriously wanted to try it out they would have gone to a local store and tested it. 

Not all is lost. For a large event like this, they need to have certain "bait" for people to come in. The bait usually involves pretty girls. Yes, there was a photo-shooting contest, with girls posing on stage and photographers firing them away. The fashion show was open to public and anyone with anything that can click including a camera phone can take photographs, but not necessarily enter the competition. I thought it would be great to shoot something else this weekend, rather than my usual street hunting. It was indeed a great chance to do something different for a while, refreshing my mind from a fresh perspective. The subjects were already there, models readily posing for you, and all you have to do is focus, and snap. No dramas, no need to find stories and no need to think of difficult composition or creative execution to make the photographs stand out. Plain simplicity at work here. Lighting was also very nicely set up with strong floodlights coming from two directions at the front. 

The following are some of my favourite fashion show shots. It was interesting how each model has a brand assigned to them. 









For more photographs, you may view my gallery at Picasa by clicking on the slideshow at the bottom. The slideshow consists of about 50 photographs. 

Alternatively you can go to the online album here (click). 


It was an enjoyable day indeed, shooting models on stage, and I do have a thing for fashion show. This was the first time I did not use a long tele-photo zoom lens, but just the 50mm lens for shooting. Since I was reasonably near the front, I can get myself close enough for some tight composition. 

Oh and if you have not noticed, the girl in blue was my favourite for the day. So here are more photographs of her. 





I sure hope I can squeeze in some more time for shutter therapy this weekend. My hands are still itchy !!

Oh and.... I bought something from the Expo. I shall be blogging about that something soon. Stay tuned !!



65 comments:

  1. Miss Sirui is best! ;) Nice you share your impressions from CEX with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hugo !! Miss Sirui is one of my favourites too !

      Delete
    2. I was at the prize giving ceremony of the photo-contest last evening (I did not participate, was there to support a good friend). The two two spots of the winning photographs were featuring that Miss Sirui !! Surely she was the judges' favourites too.

      Delete
  2. The girl in blue is AWESOME!

    Was the Olympus 75mm for sale? Any indication of the price?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was something was she not.
      Yes the 75mm was on sale but no special promo. The one carrying Olympus booth was not Olympus Malaysia but by Boeing Camera.

      Delete
    2. How is the lens (75mm) in Malaysia anyway? I'll be there on a short 'photographic' trip... they seem to be pretty over priced and in short supply here in Australia.

      Delete
    3. Sorry, I meant. How much is the lens.

      Delete
    4. Hello Tom,
      Official retail price is about RM3300. I think you can get one for RM3000 on the street (need confirmation).

      Delete
  3. Hmm... Any tripods on sale? Planning to get a lightweight ones. Btw, you can try out RX100 at Sony Centre in Mid Valley. They have a demo unit there already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chong,
      There were some tripods, but I did not look into them. However to take note that the price at the Expo is not too far from what you can find at local stores.

      Delete
    2. Oh... okay. Btw, when's KLPF?

      Delete
    3. I think some time in October. After Photokina definitely.

      Delete
  4. I really like that image of Choon Wee with the 75mm. The expression is priceless.

    The blue dress girl is very engaging. Nice. I like the way the dress is tied in the not. Very cool. If I had the legs for it I would try it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Libby,
      Indeed the expression was priceless !!!
      I do think that the blue dress suited that model very much. There was just something about her that stole the show today !

      Delete
  5. Ugliest camera in the world? Really? :P I Like those looks :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Alexander,
      LOL my personal opinion of course. No worries if you think its pretty.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry Robin for my ignorance,

    What's the lens on OMD that makes the "winning combination"?
    Thanks.

    Tay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin,

      Nice (and rather funny ) write up on the camera show.

      I did notice that you thought very little of the Q (pun intended)
      But I've been using it for over a month now and its certainly a unique offering among pns cameras out there.
      [url]http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/reviews/1130914-pentax-q-real-world-user-review.html[/url]


      JK

      Delete
    2. Hey Tay, that was a Leica Summicron 75mm F2 lens.

      Hey JK,
      Thanks, and I am glad you think the write up was funny. Thanks for sharing your view on the Pentax Q !

      Delete
  8. wooo .... nice girl shooting !

    ReplyDelete
  9. When will the next CEX held on ? And I wanted to get a nikon j1 ... what is the different between j1 and j2 ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no info on Nikon. Please visit Nikon website. I am an Olympus user and supporter, only currently I have picked up a Sony.

      Delete
  10. Is Nikon j1 pink colour a limited edition ? The dealer told me that pink colour is much more expensive than the normal one >< is that real ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't help you there, sorry. I just took a photo of that camera and walked away. No interest in Nikon sorry.

      Delete
  11. First off I want to say awesome blog! I had a quick
    question in which I'd like to ask if you don't mind.
    I was curious to know how you center yourself and clear
    your head prior to writing. I have had a tough time clearing my
    thoughts in getting my ideas out. I truly do enjoy writing but it just seems like the
    first 10 to 15 minutes are lost just trying to figure out how to begin.
    Any suggestions or hints? Thanks!

    Also visit my web blog ... workout gear for women uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there this is kinda of off topic but I was wondering if
    blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with
    HTML. I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding skills so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

    My blog post gymnastics clothes for girls

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woah! I'm really enjoying the template/theme of this blog. It's simple,
    yet effective. A lot of times it's tough to get that "perfect balance" between user friendliness and appearance. I must say that you've done a great job with this.
    In addition, the blog loads super fast for me on Firefox.
    Superb Blog!

    Also visit my site fashion to figure jobs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Today, while I was at work, my sister stole my iphone and
    tested to see if it can survive a 30 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube
    sensation. My apple ipad is now destroyed and
    she has 83 views. I know this is completely off
    topic but I had to share it with someone!

    Visit my page - girls workout clothes tumblr
    Also see my web site: cute gym clothes online

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! I just discovered your website: Blogger: Robin
    Wong when I was exploring delicious.com. It looks as though
    someone liked your blog so much they decided to bookmark it.
    I'll definitely be returning here more often.

    Feel free to surf to my web site ... basic electric circuits ii

    ReplyDelete
  16. This design is wicked! You most certainly know how to keep a reader entertained.
    Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost.
    ..HaHa!) Fantastic job. I really loved what you had
    to say, and more than that, how you presented it. Too cool!


    My blog; electrical engineering online courses

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! This blog looks just like my old one! It's on a totally different topic but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Great choice of colors!

    Here is my web-site electrical engineer salary by state

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey! This post could not be written any better!
    Reading this post reminds me of my good old room mate!
    He always kept talking about this. I will forward this page
    to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Many thanks
    for sharing!

    Feel free to visit my site: heating and cooling prices

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and i was just wondering if
    you get a lot of spam comments? If so how do you stop it, any plugin
    or anything you can recommend? I get so much lately it's driving me crazy so any support is very much appreciated.

    Also visit my web page :: ethernet cable extension adapter

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there are using Wordpress for your blog platform? I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get
    started and set up my own. Do you need any coding expertise to make
    your own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!


    Also visit my web-site ... silicon chip definition

    ReplyDelete
  21. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied
    on the video to make your point. You obviously know
    what youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog
    when you could be giving us something informative to read?



    Feel free to visit my blog post; golf gloves pair

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, I do think this is an excellent site. I stumbledupon
    it ;) I am going to revisit yet again since I bookmarked it.
    Money and freedom is the greatest way to change,
    may you be rich and continue to guide other people.

    Also visit my web site ... Golf Schools Las Vegas

    ReplyDelete
  23. Link exchange is nothing else but it is simply placing the other person's website link on your page at appropriate place and other person will also do same for you.

    Also visit my homepage :: citysquares.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in reality used to be a entertainment account
    it. Look advanced to more brought agreeable from you!
    By the way, how could we keep up a correspondence?


    My page: st cloud Florist

    ReplyDelete
  25. Excellent web site you have got here.. It's difficult to find excellent writing like yours these days. I truly appreciate people like you! Take care!!

    Here is my weblog: back pain when sitting and when sleeping

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks a lot for sharing this with all folks you actually know
    what you are speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally consult with
    my web site =). We can have a hyperlink trade contract between us

    Also visit my webpage - Winged Scapula Treatment

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am really enjoying the theme/design of your
    website. Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility
    issues? A handful of my blog readers have complained about my blog not working correctly in Explorer but
    looks great in Chrome. Do you have any solutions to help fix this issue?


    Here is my blog http://www.nexopia.com/users/ks84healthtrex/blog/2-suggestions-to-help-deal-with-emotional-stress-levels-and

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you
    knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my
    comment form? I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having trouble finding
    one? Thanks a lot!

    Here is my site; compact flash memory card 64 gb

    ReplyDelete
  29. Excellent article! We will be linking to this particularly great
    content on our site. Keep up the great writing.

    Feel free to visit my site - chiropractic adjustment pregnancy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Heya i'm for the primary time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I am hoping to offer one thing again and help others like you helped me.

    Here is my web blog golf chipping schools

    ReplyDelete
  31. Having read this I thought it was really enlightening.
    I appreciate you spending some time and energy to put this informative article together.
    I once again find myself spending a lot of time both reading and posting comments.
    But so what, it was still worth it!

    my homepage radiculopathy icd 9

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm not sure where you are getting your info, however good topic. I must spend a while finding out more or understanding more. Thanks for wonderful info I was on the lookout for this info for my mission.

    Look into my homepage; golf view middle school naples florida

    ReplyDelete
  33. Why users still use to read news papers when in this technological
    globe all is existing on web?

    Check out my web-site; http://www.chirodirectory.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm amazed, I must say. Rarely do I encounter a blog that's both educative and engaging, and let me tell
    you, you've hit the nail on the head. The problem is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I'm very happy I came across this during my hunt for something relating to this.


    Feel free to visit my weblog; LED Lighting

    ReplyDelete
  35. It's the best time to make some plans for the future and it's time
    to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to
    suggest you few interesting things or advice. Maybe
    you can write next articles referring to this article. I want to read
    more things about it!

    My web site :: salmon sushi roll ideas

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hello, I wish for to subscribe for this website to get hottest updates, therefore where can i
    do it please help.

    Feel free to visit my homepage new chiropractic treatments

    ReplyDelete
  37. This info is invaluable. How can I find out more?


    Here is my website :: lower back pain relief machine

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wonderful article! We will be linking to this particularly
    great article on our website. Keep up the good writing.

    My web blog; www.salespider.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Heya i'm for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly helpful & it helped me out much. I hope to present one thing back and aid others such as you helped me.

    my webpage ... Mens Golf Gloves

    ReplyDelete
  40. I know this web page presents quality depending content and other data,
    is there any other web page which provides these information in quality?


    my page :: Orlando Chiropractor

    ReplyDelete
  41. Very great post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished
    to say that I have really enjoyed surfing around
    your blog posts. After all I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write once more soon!

    my homepage - golf cart batteries for sale costco

    ReplyDelete
  42. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and
    wished to say that I have really enjoyed surfing around your blog
    posts. After all I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

    Feel free to surf to my page - personal injury attorney

    ReplyDelete
  43. No matter if some one searches for his vital thing, thus he/she needs to
    be available that in detail, so that thing is maintained over
    here.

    Review my web blog - lower left back pain and abdominal pain

    ReplyDelete
  44. Everything is very open with a really clear clarification of the challenges.
    It was truly informative. Your website is very helpful.
    Thanks for sharing!

    Here is my page - Orlando Sushi

    ReplyDelete