Monday, July 30, 2012

The F Cat

Side Note: There was this stunning set of photographs taken by Sony RX100 at Ken Tanaka's website. You can view the images here (click). The link was discovered through TheOnlinePhotographer. 
Man, looking at the images alone I am already convinced that the Sony RX100 means serious business. Looks like Steve Huff is not bluffing when he claimed this RX100 is the best digital compact camera ever produced.


They say at the moment you click the shutter button, you have a certain emotional attachment to your photograph which could cloud your own perception of the quality of work. They say that emotional attachment is temporary. They say good photographs will withstand the test of time, and will not have anything to do with the temporary emotional attachment that made the photograph shine for that particular one moment. They say a lot of things. 

I say, a good photograph is a good photograph, not matter what they say. Period. 

F-F-F Cat
Taken in May 2010, when I just started to explore into the world of street photography. 
Image was shot with Olympus DSLR E-520 and humble, underrated, kit lens, Zuiko 14-42mm F3.5-5.6

Looking back now I do think that I have produced some better photographs in my early days in street shooting. Perhaps they do not fit very well into what the world would try to define true street photography as a genre, but the photographs I took a year or two ago has a lot more "identity" or parts and pieces of "myself" in them. They may not be something that everyone would agree to, or click the "like" button on Facebook, or receiving many "comments and favs" in Flickr page. However, they were my images, and as I made them happen with my beautiful camera and lens, there was that beautiful emotional connection I have created, no matter how brief or insignificant it may be for the rest of the world. That connection is what made the photograph work, and worth spending time and effort being out there shooting. Even though that connection between the photographer and his image may not be relevant to the audience, it has a very strong personal value behind it, and that itself is good enough reason for the photographer to love his image. 


15 comments:

  1. Yes, that's definitely an excellent photograph, not only because I'm a cat lover :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sama sama - I'm with Andreas here. Superb work, and who wouldn't love a sleeping kitten?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wolfgang. Any new photos of Tuna?

      Delete
    2. None recent ones. At the moment, she's eating, sleeping, or out. Like me ;-)

      Delete
    3. Take more shots of Tuna ! I am sure your readers miss Tuna very much.

      Delete
  3. Haha...you fall in love with RX100 too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, it is the best compact digital camera, says Steve Huff !

      Delete
  4. No doubt the Sony RX100 is a hard act to follow for super compact camera and Sony makes great sensors.

    For half the price, I have the Panasonic LX5 which its Leica lens at F2 is very impressive in low light, and new firmware white balance makes this camera very nice and very compact for social events and clean, sharp images. 400 happy reviewers on B&H Photo site also agree in their posted reviews.
    I bought LX5 for my wife, where even a PEN EPL1 she felt is too big to take along, for simple social events or with kids playing.

    I tried side to side with Olympus XZ1 but preferred the Panasonic for more accurate colour and easy menu. The XZ1 I found far too saturated colours even in natural 3 mode (my son had ruby red lips), unlike my Pen EPL1 camera which was much better colours in natural mode (and I love the pen!) They must have different design teams on these cameras - compacts and pens.
    Sony RX100 is no doubt king of compacts, (but love my EPL1 with new 12-50mm lens (sharper than kit lens indeed)), and my wifes new Panasonic LX5 with Leica F2 lens which the lens makes that camera close to m43 detail capture up to 400 iso and minimal noise I found in my tests and F2 keeps it under 400 iso a lot. Lots of reviewers agree including me. Perhaps second best versatile super compact non system camera next to Sony's RX100 new camera?

    Robin, as you have mentioned before Leica and Zeiss make fine lens, which improve the image capture greatly, even in the smaller 1/1.6 sensors I found Leica great.
    I also enjoy reading Kirk Tucks site, which I found through your site link. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrian for sharing your thoughts and experience with the LX-5 and XZ-1.
      Kirk Tuck is an amazing photographer and he writes very well. Always love to hear his insight on gear and his generous advise on photography in general. Glad that you find his site useful as well.

      Delete
  5. Great eyes, Robin. Thank you for sharing.
    I see 'Peace in the chaos of the world.'

    The connection between the peaceful posture of the cat and noises on the wall really strike me spiritually.
    The good: Calm in crisis.
    The Bad: Don't care attitude..."Tidak apa attitude".
    Great work.
    May you have a great evening.
    John Ragai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John ! You have an interesting way of seeing images. I would like to think that the nap is the way the cat blend into the world, may it be as tiresome and troublesome as it already is. We still need to find rest and peace.

      Delete
  6. Robin, Steve Huff has a favorite and' best ever' new digital camera EVERY week. :) Means NOTHING! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. and Kirk Tuck just needs to go out and buy an OM-D instead of keep writing all the time about how he doesn't really need one, and how he's thinking he should get one but....the rest of us gave in a long time ago and are now enjoying paradise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Kirk will get the OM-D. Sooner or later. Just wait and see. heh.

      Delete