Monday, May 14, 2012

Silent Scenery at Publika, Solaris Dutamas

Last weekend has been quite a refreshing, and fruitful one. Despite me having slight fever, running nose, sore throat and minor cough, feeling weak and a little wuzzy at times, I still managed to get out, meet many friends, catch up with old buddies from my home town, had plenty of coffee sessions, and most important of all, I was at Alda Evan Tan's fund raising concert where many local bands and artists came together to perform live at Publika, Solaris Dutamas. It was an unplanned event for myself, as I was shooting at Jalan Masjid India on Sunday morning (in this previous entry), I received Facebook status update on Silent Scenery's page, at the very last minute, just few hours before the show started. I immediately made my way down to the show, though I was not fully prepared to shoot. I left two very important things at home: the long tele-lens and the flash, which I needed in case I could not get near the stage, or the lighting was too dim. 

If you guys have not heard of Silent Scenery, please, please visit their website here (www.silentscenery.com) and also their official Facebook page to find out more about their music. You can find some free full mp3 downloads to, and if you like their music, please like their FB page, and purchase their music !! I have had their songs looping in my music player for months now, and I am still loving them. 

Silent Scenery has just returned from their international tour to Thailand and more recently, Japan. It was indeed great to see them getting straight into rhythm and perform here locally. 

All images were taken with Olympus DSLR E-5 and Zuiko Digital lenses: 11-22mm F2.8-3.5 and 50mm F2 macro. 

Ivan, an awesome guitarist. This dude has serious talent, believe me.
The low key-ish lighting was real, I only did minimal PP to increase the contrast a little.



That new guitar from Japan.

Ada gaya, Ivan !!

Love Seikan's hair !! Seikan is the drummer at the back. He is half Japanese. 

Super cool Drummer Seikan. 



I figured, it was more important for me to just show up, and show my support. Hence I rushed to Publika, only to found myself being there too early, because the tickets booth was not even open !!

As I have mentioned earlier, I was not prepared for this particular shoot. I know I could have done a lot better, but hey, I was not exactly feeling very well, and all I really wanted was to have a relaxing weekend, and let the music take over my mind, drowning myself in the loud thumping bass and heavy guitar play. I love music, even more, if the music is played live, with the "concert like" atmosphere. It just got me going, and it lifted up my mood. 

The lighting condition was very bad, spotlight was lighting the stage very unevenly, and this screwed up metering most of the time (how do you do spot metering on a face, when the face was not evenly lit, and moving all the time). I need high ISO to freeze movements, and unfortunately, that resulted in heavy noise, but who cares, I do think that clear, free of blur shot is more important than having no noise. When it is necessary, it is necessary, and one should not hesitate to push up the ISO setting. 

I did manage to record their last song (they only performed three songs, because too many other bands and artists were also queuing up to perform) in video. However, the sound quality from the built in microphone of the E-5 was..... horrendous. Note to self: time to get a decent external microphone. Guys, do you have any good microphone to recommend to be used on my Olympus E-5 or the PEN E-PL1? I do need to get one urgently.Important consideration: it must not be expensive, because I am a very poor photographer. 

Silent Scenery performing "Stop Motion & Fragments" from their latest album These Still Moments. 



For those of you who missed the show last weekend, worry not !! If you are in Kuala Lumpur, and you have some time to spare on Saturday (19 May 2012) afternoon, please make your way to The Bee, Publika at Solaris Dutamas. Yes, Silent Scenery will be performing again, and this time it is open and free to the public, so do come and support some local music !! For more information go to the official event page here. 




6 comments:

  1. Donald W Leitzel5/15/2012 02:10:00 AM

    Robin
    I don't know how the prices are in Malaysia, but you might look at the Olympus Series LS line of PCM CD quality recorders.

    Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding a mic seems like a neat idea, but it's often inconvenient to install at a moment's notice when you want to record a movie. Even though the video of the EM-5 is good, it's not up to the level I was used to with the Panasonic M4/3 or Sony Nex cameras so I've been carrying around the Sony HX9V in a side pocket of the camera bag. The 1080p 60p video quality and audio is smooth and great. The HX9V is a year old so you might be able to get a great price for. Probably the same as a nice mic would cost. Here's a quick sample of a quick movie I took of the band Layla Lane doing a sound check before their show. I think the audio is quite nice here https://vimeo.com/28271728 Here's one of their main performance https://vimeo.com/28273486

    The lighting looks dark because the sun was shining into the stage background but usually the video quality is very bright and pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation Wataru, will surely check that out. Cheers.

      Delete