Friday, May 11, 2012

Mistakes Leading to Photography Opportunity

Side Note: Finally, Kirk Tuck mentioned and shared his thoughts on Olympus OM-D E-M5. Must read, go here and here


Have you ever had an image which you have taken perhaps a few years ago, had not seen, or thought about that image for a long time, not until recently that forgotten image suddenly sprang up and got stuck in your mind? I had this happening to me right now, and for the past few days. The image was taken at the Nai Yang Beach adjacent to the Phuket International Airport, during my trip there in early 2010. 

I may not exactly know why the image suddenly came back to me all of a sudden, but I know very well what that photograph meant to me. I was not supposed to be at that Beach in the first place. I booked the wrong flight, and I took an early flight from Kuala Lumpur, having at least 3-4 hours waiting time before the group of friends I travelled with would arrive at the airport. I cannot recall how the mistake happened, but I was not too happy with the three hour waiting time. I did a little Google search and found a beach nearby to the airport, so I made a quick trip there, just to kill time. 


Nai Yang Beach, Phuket International Airport
Photograph taken with Olympus DSLR E-520 and ZD 11-22mm F2.8-3.5 in 2010
This is the photo that suddenly I remembered recently, and got stuck in my head for many days now. 
Since I can't get it out of my head, I am getting it re-posted here. 



Air Asia, Malaysian Budget Airlines
Another image I have taken, and you can see over the fencing in the image was the Phuket International Airport where the planes landed. 


At the first glance the beach was nothing spectacular. Nai Yang was not listed as one of the popular beaches, and I can see why, there was almost nobody there at all in that morning. However, staying there for a while longer, I was astounded by the sight before my eyes: planes coming down very, very low, approaching the airport which was located just next to the beach. 

The following was what I wrote in the blog entry I made for my Phuket holidays:

"The view was just spectacular. At first, there was a faint sound from the distant blue sky, and all you saw was a dot appearing from the far horizon. In just a couple of seconds, the dot grew larger and larger into a plane, and the sound got louder and louder. As it approached the beach, the sonic boom was so deafening that it would put 100 subwoofers to shame. As the plane passed by overhead, the feeling was just something one can only imagine, or be seen from the movies. I do not think there are that many places in the world you can have such access and be able to bring yourself so close to the plane landing, and even better, smacking the ocean view in the background. It was just magnificent."


Yes, this photograph of the Thai Airlines, overhanging a couple walking along the beach, with trails of footprints, somehow begged my attention. I dug out this old photograph from my backup hard-drive, and the moment the photograph came alive on my computer screen, somehow, the photograph still managed to take my breath away. Ok, maybe it was not so much of the photograph's job, but it was as if I was looking into a window, and I was taken back in time to where I was standing right there and then, seeing everything happened right in front of my eyes. The memory was vivid, and it was breathtaking. 

Some people believe there are no accidents or coincidences: just opportunities, and things happen for reasons sometimes we do not understand. Now, I was thankful for that mistake that happened during the booking of my flight. If I have booked the right flight, I would have arrived much later with my friends, and skipped visiting Nai Yang Beach. I think this experience was trying to teach me something, or remind me about my current situation. Perhaps, I may not be at the perfect place, and the timing for everything seemed out of order, but somehow, deep inside, I know things will be alright, and everything will fall into place, if I was patient enough, and persistent enough to go through with it. Patience, is not easy. 

Another photograph that came in mind was the crutches by the beach. 

Maya Beach, Phi Phi Island. 

I shall let you guys think, and tell me what you see in this photograph. I am curious to find out if we are seeing the same things !!




17 comments:

  1. Someone is having a good time in water leaving his/her pair of crutches on the sand. I bet it felt really good since in water you weigh much less and there's less need in your legs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dmitry,
      Having a good time is the main thing I want to tell in that picture !! Of course there are more than that.

      Delete
  2. don't care how much more you want to tell in that crutches photo but it sure is a gooooooooddd photo...i can't tell what it is but it capture my eyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks konikonaku!! one of my favourites too

      Delete
  3. Great shots! Love the first one! The foot prints leading my eyes to the plane... and the clutches, genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks cy.leow !! The first one is my favourite too.

      Delete
  4. Excellent ;) Really, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maya beach cure the disability, leave the crutch behind as it is not necessary anymore. The two big stone island given a strong perception that this beach is a point heading to somewhere, look at the yacht...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chee Seong !! That is a very interesting way to look at it !! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  6. What really strikes me is there are no footprints anywhere to be seen around the crutches...
    A lot to think about with that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, please kindly leave a name the next time you comment.
      Indeed, it was very disturbing not having any footprints. I did not think of that !! Now that is an unusual perspective, thanks for sharing. A lot to think about, surely.

      Delete
  7. The first photo is a winner. The foot prints leading to the subject of the photo. The plane just right above the two tiny figures below adds such dramatic scale to the whole image. This photo could be mistaken for a composite but I know it's not the case here. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chun Chung !!
      Lets go shoot the street again one of these weekends.

      Delete
  8. On the Crutches image - to me the water represents a kind of freedom. Once the owner enters the water, he is released from constraints even if only for a short duration. He can now assimilate with others and be just like the them. The water becomes a life force, an empowerment, and an equalizer - no recognizes the affliction or disability of the owner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Libby,
      That is such a positive, and empowering way to see the image. Thank you so much for sharing, the water symbolizes freedom, and it is a body that unites people too, what a great way to put it !!

      Delete
  9. Yes, would love to hit the streets with you over on the weekends :)

    ReplyDelete