Sunday, April 22, 2012

Anston & Janice

It has been quite a long while since I did a proper arranged portraiture shooting, and a fresh chance came when a dear friend Anston asked if I would like to shoot some portrait photographs for him and his beautiful girl, Janice. I immediately jumped in and said yes !! This very glorious morning, we headed into an open park with lake, absorbing ourselves into the golden, warm morning yellow sun, and made some photography happen. It is indeed very refreshing to do something rather different once in a while, away from my usual street photography sessions. Having a coordinated, planned shoot, or what I usually called a photo-assignment, is indeed different from my usual shutter therapy where I just snap at whatever I like as I chance upon my subjects on the streets. 

All images were taken with Olympus DSLR E-5 and Zuiko 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 mk1












We arrived very early in the morning, while the sun was still low, casting directional light, coming from an extreme side. This is an effect which I sought after, mainly to add more depth in the photographs on my human subjects, highlighting one side of the body while leaving the other side in deep shadow, producing a very three-dimensional feel. The morning "golden glow" does magic to the overall dreamy feel. Everyone would say that lighting is extremely crucial when it comes to portrait shooting, and not having my own portable lighting equipment, I must work with the available light as carefully and as optimized as I can. 

I was working alongside another photographer-friend, Fattien, who is an experienced photographer himself. I let him to be in charge, directing the couple and doing his thing. I mostly shot from the side, not wanting to interrupt him too much, or disrupt his rhythm. Also, every single time I chip in and do my own things, I would be dragging the time, and possibly throwing the whole session out of balance. Nonetheless, Fattien was kind enough to allow me generous amount of my own time to "play" with the couple, in whichever way I want to. I already have some ideas worked out and I executed them.  My main priority is to have as natural as possible outcome as possible, the couple being themselves, and expressing themselves. I wanted very relaxed poses, and I usually dislike forced, stiff poses with fake facial expressions. I believe a good portrait should be able to reflect the "real" characteristics of the people you are shooting. 

It was a great experience, being out there in the open, working with people, and shooting arranged sessions once again. Do bear in mind that the photographs from this session is just a sneak preview, a quick selection of my favourites which I have done very brief post-processing. Again, for blog updates, I always believe a good bowl of hot noodle soup is best served while it is still hot. I just can't wait to get those images up here. 

Anston, happy belated birthday !! And to both Anston and Janice, here is me wishing you both all the best !!


12 comments:

  1. Overall it is nice =) Just that the second photo the guy's eyes were closed? ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. but whats wrong with closed eyes? LOL

      Delete
  2. Hi Robin,
    Very nice work and thanks for sharing. I like the third photo the most. Possibly it showed the real Janice and Anston.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The playful animated feelings in the second last one were a perfect sequence of 2 images, and the last one could be a wall portrait with graphic elements in layout in foreground and background as strong as the emotion.
    The last 2 were no doubt my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comments Adrian.
      The second last image (consisting two vertical shots) were candid shots, As Janice was about to get on Anston for piggyback, they instantaneously burst into laughter. I agree that portraits work very well when the expressions are at their most natural !!

      Delete
    2. Those were my favorites as well. The natural feeling comes out strongly in those. Very tough to work out that sort of chemistry.

      Delete
    3. I like all of them, in fact I don't think there is an Image on this site that I don't like! it's refreshing to see someone putting out 4/3rds images that rival the Canikon brands. I also like your newest video review of the Oly OM-D E5 it's an honest view of what looks like a good camera, but I don't know if it will tempt me away from the E30?

      Delete
    4. Thanks Annonymous,
      E-30 is a great camera, no doubt, but I am just hoping Olympus would come up with a new updated 4/3 camera. It is about time we need a new camera/

      Delete
  4. Yes it's something we loyal Olympus buyers are due, I am interested in the noise issue, the fact that the OM-D supposedly performs better than my E 30 is annoying, why couldn't Olympus put that sensor in it's 4/3 rds cameras?

    By the way I am no longer anonymous lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for including your name, Filbow. Now at least I can trace your comment history and not mistake you for someone else. You know there are many malicious people commenting anonymously.
      I believe at the moment Olympus is doing all they can to recover from the infamous accounting scandal, and by doing so, they are putting everything into micro 4/3, because thats what sells. Surely they will come back to 4/3, but do bear with them at the time being. Things are rough, but I am very sure they will pull through.

      Delete