Thursday, March 01, 2012

The Personal Touch

I finally had a little bit of time to breathe, hence I am sitting in front of my computer and started to dig some older photographs and run through them. I went through the series of paid assignment or photography jobs which I took up last year, mostly Actual Day Wedding and some event coverage. Of all the series, one stood out amongst the rest: actual day wedding of Darren and Janet in June 2011. The main difference between this particular wedding assignment from the rest is: the bride is my cousin, who is very close to me and my family.









How is the family relation making any difference, since a wedding is still a wedding by any other variations? When I am out there shooting for others, it does not stretch much further from me being the official photographer and just shoot for a paying client. At the end of the day, as long as I deliver the photographs which the clients are happy about, I am happy, and basically that is the end of the story. We might catch up again after that, some of my previous clients have become friends, but the photography assignment ended there and no other expectations were considered. However, in the case of shooting my cousin on her special day, there was a mix of immense excitement and uneasy pressure. I was very excited because this was one of the most important day of my cousin's life, and I was there to shoot here. At the same time, I was also more stressed than usual because the entire community there knows me. I guess I was not exactly ready to put myself out in the open just yet, and this was my first assignment done in Kuching, my hometown.

There were thousands of thoughts and mix of emotions running at the back of my head throughout the shooting session. Nonetheless, as the day itself unfolded, part by part, it was one of the most memorable weddings I have attended. I was happy, seeing my cousin happy. I was happy, seeing the family of my cousin happy. The honest joy in their facial expression were so strong that I do not think my photographs did justice in capturing all of them. It was different from other assignment, because I was personally connected to every single reflection of emotions I saw from the faces of so many people I knew so well throughout the event. Their happiness meant a whole world to me, and that was something that truly moved me.

For more photographs from this wedding, view the slideshow below:


Were those photographs any better than my other assignment? Not exactly, there are many aspects which I could have done better, and many times have I admitted that I am still far from being at the professional level. I am a learning photographer, but a very eager one that is. I know that I have done much better in terms of creativity and artistic ideas in comparison to some of my better photographed wedding assignment shoots last year. However, I just cannot help but smile so widely every time I look back on this set of photographs. You guys may not be able to see it, but in my own special ways, I have put in my heart while I was making those photographs happen. It was the heart in there that I am seeing, which is not exactly very clearly seen on my other jobs. I guess you have got to be truly happy about doing something in order to bring the best out of you.

I am not sure if I am making any sense, but do let me know what you think.



8 comments:

  1. Great work! Thanks for the great info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you have posted are just great. If they were from my wedding I would have been delighted. I used to do weddings and know the challenges and I too have photographed relatives weddings. Perhaps more stressful but more rewarding. You have captured their day wonderfully and professionally. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Carl,
    Thanks for the compliments !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you do make sense, Robin. Very much so.

    "I guess you have got to be truly happy about doing something in order to bring the best out of you."

    That actually is what I have been thinking lately. I am starting to believe that there is no such thing as tallent, but only desire. If you are happy, you will have that desire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello vladimir,
    aahhh how could i miss out the word desire. Now it fits in the puzzle perfectly. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robin,

    exellent shots and expirence I suppose. One suggestion: perhaps you could put some basic infomration about the lenses that you use in this session?

    Zeljko

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Zeljko,
    Thanks for the compliments.
    I was using all Olympus Zuiko lenses: 11-22mm F2.8-3.5, 50mm F2 and 8mm F3.5 fisheye lens.

    ReplyDelete