Thursday, March 29, 2012

An Evening Walk and a Fresh Look

I am sure you have noticed that I have just changed the layout of my humble blog here. The main reason for this change is to integrate some new released features from Blogger, which did not seem to work with my old template. I really want some of the newer functions, such as being able to reply to individual comments in a threaded view rather than creating a new comment each time, and integration of the "Google Plus 1" button. At the same time, I wanted to keep the main theme of this blog, the simplicity and clean overall look and feel. I also want the background to be white with black text for better readability. I know the header image is not exactly the most suitable one, but I have no time to create one at the moment. For now, that will have to suffice. Do let me know what you think of this new layout. 

All images in this entry were taken with Olympus DSLR E-5 and Sigma 30mm F1.4 lens
















I left work and got home rather early today, and my hands were unbearably itchy, and the only way to get rid of that itch is to do a quick shutter therapy session. I took a stroll down the Jalan Masjid India streets, and snapped at whatever I found there. It was a brief walk, and I enjoyed myself as I watched the evening sun slowly faded away, giving way to the street lights. Sometimes, you do not have to force images to happen, just go out, and let the images come to you. I believe in keeping an open mind, and be optimistic. 

I strongly believe negative thoughts should be kept at bay when shooting. There are many instances that may hold you down and prevent you from doing your best, or giving all out in capturing that wonderful shot. Negative thoughts like "my gear is not as well equipped as that photographer with large camera and large lenses", or "I should not simply do anything that will embarrass myself because that guy seems like a pro", or "what can I do to impress the rest of the gang". I acknowledge as humans, we have our ego to stroke and satisfy, but sometimes, along the lines of doing what we do, we unintentionally restricted ourselves from pushing further and do our best. There are one million and one photography rules out there, with thousands of photographers that sound more like Sunday hypocritical preachers, but taking all of them in does not necessarily guarantee you to be better.  Just be yourself, do what you want to do, and listen to yourself instead of what others tell you. 

So what if your images aren't perfect? So what if your images won't win any photography awards? The most important thing is that you made those images happen, and those photographs represent your vision. We should take pride in our own work, but humbly accept that there is always room for improvement. 

Weekend is approaching. Can't wait to attack the streets again. 




12 comments:

  1. Nice blog Update Robin, love the fresh look, have you seen my Zoo visit ?
    Taken with the E-5 + 50-200SWD

    Have a good weekend Robin!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rick,
      Thanks !! Will check out your zoo shots when I am on my pc. On mobile at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Cool photos like always Robin, and I love the new look of your site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wolfgang !! The old look is getting boring. Hence s fresh change !

      Delete
  3. fabulous pictures. It appears that people enjoying you taking their pictures. Are you happy with the Sigma lens? Thanks and have a great weekend.

    Chi Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Chi Lee,
      Thanks !! Yeah, people here are generally very friendly.
      I have my complains on the sigma lens, but its not too bad. The AF has issues when used with E-5.

      Delete
  4. wah so lucky evening sunshine and no rain in sight! some more, the zen of street shooting! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Richard,
    Hence must make full use of the situation !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Website looks fine on an Android mobile, please stick with the simple look: it's refreshing.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ron,
      Thanks for the feedback. I forgot to mention one of the reasons for the change is for optimized mobile layout. Glad to know it works now.

      Delete