Thursday, November 17, 2011

Ping Pong Balls and Highway

I was assigned to a an inspection task along a running highway, and I had the rare opportunity to walk along the highway which is restricted to normal pedestrian access. I walked a total of more than 6KM (both sides of the highway together) under hot afternoon sun, recording down defects or any issues observed on the highway. Not exactly one of the most glamorous job in town, but I did get to enjoy the KL view in my slow walk.

Images in this entry were taken with Nokia C6-01 camera.

Kuala Lumpur


found a goat under the highway, while I was inspecting the piers holding up the highway.


I did not have any camera with me (except for the office camera for documentation purposes), and I did not carry my own camera around for safety reasons. I whipped out my phone, and voila, there it was, a camera !! Who cares if it is not high resolution, who cares if it has lousy colours (the colours are so unbearable I had to convert the images to monotone), who cares if I cannot create bokeh. I just snapped away the beautiful view of Kuala Lumpur skyline.

During my walk on the highway, I have had time to think about a lot of things.

I felt as if I was a ping pong (table tennis) ball. I am being tossed around all the time, sometimes, I am being screwed, sometimes I am being smashed. People will never care if I get dented or broken, they just whack the ball as hard as possible. After all, how much does a ping pong ball cost anyway? Although the ball is important for a game (admit it, without a ball, there is no game), but the ball can be easily thrown aside and be replaced by a new one.

Man, life sure sucks being a ping pong ball.

9 comments:

  1. wow Robin... ya.. ping pong ball is cheap and easy to replace but you can't have a game without it.. look on the positive side... you are of value

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eric, appreciate the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you came back to tell the story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alf,
    LOL !!! I am a survivor !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin...it's true that metaphorically speaking...we're ALL ping pong balls. However, some ping pong balls are happier than the others because they make a choice about how they want to feel/react.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all I want to say terrific blog! I had a quick question
    that I'd like to ask if you don't mind. I was interested to know
    how you center yourself and clear your thoughts before writing.
    I've had trouble clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts out there. I truly do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are usually wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any ideas or hints? Thank you!

    Also visit my web blog: green coffee extract weight loss

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurrah! Finally I got a blog from where I be able to in fact obtain useful data regarding my study and knowledge.



    Also visit my blog post - http://worddrum.ahaaas.Com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stumbled on your blog on http://robinwong.blogspot.
    com/ and I'm very glad I did. I feel as though you're reading my mind right
    now. You appear to know a great deal regarding this, like you
    authored a textbook on it or something like that. While I think some extra media like some pics or a couple of videos, this will be
    a fantastic resource. I will most definitely be back.

    Feel free to surf to my site - houston hotel

    ReplyDelete
  9. It feels like I've visited this blog before on but after checking at some of the material I realized it's
    new to me. In any case, I'm quite satisfied I stumbled upon it and I'll add it to
    my bookmarks to check back often.

    Also visit my weblog :: fyrverkerier

    ReplyDelete