Thursday, October 13, 2011

Shoot to the Moon

I saw the moon tonight. I fell in love with it. I could not stop gazing into it. Hence, I picked up the camera, and shot the moon. I shot and shot and shot.

Taken with Olympus DSLR E-5 and Zuiko 50-200mm F2.8-3.5
ISO200, F/8, 1/400sec, handheld



For some unexplained reasons, many people have thought that to shoot the moon, a tripod is necessary to hold the shot steady. That was a total bogus, because I found my metering (spot) read 1/400sec average, which was more than sufficient to hold the long lens steady. There was no need for tripod at all. I purposely underexposed the moon to reveal the texture on the brighter region. The Olympus Zuiko 50-200mm did not disappoint.

10 comments:

  1. Well, if you use a tripod you get better results ;) I tried the same setup two months ago: http://www.focx.de/2011/08/11/the-moon-ii/

    To be honest, more important than a tripod is probably weather and air quality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello christoph,
    I agree!! clear sky and the phase of the moon are important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello calex,
    I shot raw so there was color, but I converted to b&w. I. wanted the silent "feel".

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's like a freaking clear moon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Cyril,
    It rained earlier that night, hence the clear sky !

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW. Didn't know a regular DSLR could get that type of image. clapclap. Also, wah, KL sky so clear one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very interesting photo, maybe i should try using my old panasonic G1 and Canon FD lenses 50mm F/1.4 to try shoot moon also :)

    ReplyDelete