Monday, October 10, 2011

Calvin & Mabel: A Wedding in KL

Remember the couple that got married in Bali not too long ago (click here if you have not read that entry), Calvin and Mabel, my friends whom I have known from Perth, that I had the honor and privilege to be their photographer? That was one week ago, and subsequently they flew to their homeland and had another wedding reception in Kuala Lumpur. Again, I was the photographer for them. But before the reception dinner, we went around the hotel and snapped some portrait shots of Calvin and Mabel.

Initially I intended to bring the couple out to the Taman Tasik Perdana which was not too far away from their hotel for an outdoor portraiture shooting. Nonetheless, considering the tight schedule of the day, it was decided to just shoot within the hotel compound.  The biggest challenge was not being fully prepared for this shooting session, because we did not anticipate the last minute change of venue, and I did not do prior research on the hotel locations. We explored the places such as the restaurants, lobby and even some scenes were shot inside the suite they were staying in.

I shall not elaborate too much in this particular entry, and just share a few favourite photographs I have selected.


All images were taken with Olympus DSLR E-5, Zuiko Digital lenses: 11-22mm F2.8-3.5, 50mm F2 macro, 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 and 8mm fisheye.


























It was one of the grandest wedding dinner I have ever covered in this city, which was held in Le Meridian Hotel (at KL Sentral). Typically, most of the Chinese wedding dinner I have covered previously were held in local Chinese restaurants. Having a the whole event inside such a majestic ballroom was simply amazing and breathtaking at the same time. Surely, there wss always the first time for everything.

I must thank both Calvin and Mabel again, for engaging me as their main photographer for the wedding reception in KL. It has been a great pleasure shooting their wedding, from Bali all the way to KL. I have enjoyed every single moment shooting and capturing such special and joyous moments. I felt really happy because I could contribute and freeze the happiness that I saw and felt in my friends.

Special thanks to Chun Chow, a dear friend and fellow photographer who was my shooting partner for the day. Also, thank you Chris and Charmaine (beautiful friends from Perth), I have told you both personally, and I will mention here again, you two are lifesavers !! Could not have survived the day without the sacrifices from you guys, really appreciate your willingness to help, despite Charmaine not feeling very well. Owe you guys a big one.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats to another set of wonderful photos. The earlier "posing" set of photos are wonderfully exposed. And oh,... that Olympus skin tones. Absolutely marvelous. But i felt that the pose is a little orchestrated and not natural.
    The 2nd set of shots at wedding dinner was better. The first picture must have been shot in total darkness. Can see the limitation of the E5 in this situation. But i absolutely love the fisheye shots. Very well compose, framed and exposed. The 2nd fisheye shot of the couple was a little overblown tho. But i have shot such weddings before, and i know it is not easy to get great shots out of it. Yet you make every assignment to look so easy. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello calex,
    thank you so much for your kind words. I appreciate your generous and constructive feedback.
    it was a challenge technically in the ballroom, and the exposure was a little tricky at some areas. you were also right about the poses, they did not come out as natural as I have hoped in some of the photos, and I agree that they have been overorchestrated. good eye you have there!
    I am still relatively new to wedding photography, any professional or experienced photographers would notice that. but hey,. I sure enjoyed myself, and when the shot came out exactly as planned the feeling is overwhelmingly great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice wedding photography! read some of your post recently, just found them looked different (it's nice!) dunno is your uniqueness in composition, camera, or decisive moment when you take the photos. the color looked nice as well. May i know are you taking full time wedding photos for people?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Dreamie,
    Thanks for your compliments. I guess I do have my own style and presentation for my photography work.
    I am an engineer, but I do take in paid photography assignment on freelance basis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great photography! study a number of your posting lately, merely identified all of them seemed different (it can be wonderful!) dunno can be your appearance inside make up, photographic camera, or perhaps important instant when you make photographs. the color looked great also. Might i am aware do you think you're getting regular wedding ceremony images for people?

    ReplyDelete