Saturday, September 17, 2011

SuaraKami 2011

I came to know about a two part event, SuaraKami 2011 being held at Stadium Merdeka, Kuala Lumpur after doing some quick online research on the happenings during this weekend. Suara Kami is a phrase in Malay, directly translated to English as "Our Voice". The first part of SuaraKami was held outdoors at the surrounding carpark areas just outside of the stadium, which was a line-up of various local artists, including some indie talents. The second part was held at night in the stadium itself, and is still going on at the time of this writing, a full-on concert featuring local and international artists such as Nelly. I only went to the first part of SuaraKami, and left just before the second part started in the evening.

When I decided to go to this event, I had little, if no expectations at all. Sure I brought along my trusty Olympus gear, but what I really intended for this visit was to just relax and enjoy myself, after a full day of exhaustive wedding shoot I had yesterday which I travelled to Seremban and back to KL on the same day. It was a music festival after all, a gathering of some of the best music scene in Malaysia, and I do support local performing artists in whatever small ways I can. It ewas one full afternoon full of great music and I simply immersed myself in the environment of loudly pumped bass and deafening crowd cheers. There is just something about live music that gets the soul going, and the heart pumping. Indeed, indie bands and artists performed one after another, and I have even fallen in love with one of the performers in the afternoon, which I shall be elaborating later.

All images were taken with Olympus DSLR E-5 and 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 mk1.




I must admit, the Canon 1100D red version looks quite attractive.

Any camera is a camera, use it !!



One for the album.

Diandra Arjunaidi

Diandra Arjunaidi

Diandra Arjunaidi

Ivan from Silent Scenery, my unexpected company for the day.

This was one afternoon full of surprises. I bumped into Ivan, a friend who is also in an active band, Silent Scenery, which is bound to release their new album soon. Do check out Silent Scenery's bandpage (click) in Facebook, if you have not done so. I also met Shaz, a blogger whom I have known since many years ago, but never kept in touch. I think I have also spotted ShaolinTiger, but I could not be too sure about that. It was also a pleasure to make some new connections, meeting up with some really cool photographers, and some even could recognized me as "Robin the blogger who reviews Olympus gear". Of course, I do get never out of date question on "Why choose Olympus?". My answers have changed over the years, and now it has evolved from "It offers the best value for money" to "Olympus cameras have soul". I think my latest excuse was something more elusive that goes along the lines of "hey, camera brands does not matter, photographer is more important", which allowed me to instantly jumped to other topics, avoiding the first question altogether. Lets just say, it gets tired explaining myself over and over again.

The lighting for the day was rather harsh, since the whole event was held outdoors, directly under open sky. Highlight clipping could not be evaded since dynamic range is not exactly Olympus' forte, and it did not help that I love my images punchy and contrasty with a lot of blacks. Nonetheless, because the event was under natural light, this was when Olympus colors truly shine, rendering very true to life natural colours, with pleasing smooth skin tones. This was also a great opportunity to put the Zuiko 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 mk1 lens to good use, though I must admit I have been overusing that lens lately. The long reach of 200mm was appreciated to get close to the subjects on stage, and the 50mm still provided wide enough coverage to have some wide angle shot taken from afar to include some background for interesting composition variations. Oh, and the bokeh was simply delicious !!!! Who says Olympus has no bokeh? At 200mm F3.5, the background is blurred away to creamy nothingness. My goodness, how can anyone not love this lens?

Rashdan Harith

Rashdan Harith

Rashdan Harith

Rashdan Harith

Rashdan Harith

Rashdan Harith

Darren Ashley

Darren Ashley

Liyana Fizi

Liyana Fizi

My free audio CD from Rashdan Harith: Revelations and a Cup of Coffee

I actually did not know any of the bands or artists performing in today's session. All the music performed were of really good standard. One that actually stood out from the rest and managed to move my soul was Rashdan Harith, who performed "Matahari" and "Gadis Jalanan", both immediately become my favourite songs. Ivan and I managed to catch him right after his show when he left the stage, and we got ourselves a free CD each from Rashdan himself !! What a generous person he is. Do check out Rashdan Harith's music page here (click). He really has impressive vocals, combined with very soothing and comfortable to-listen-to tunes, backed with powerful and well-written lyrics. Going into a free event, and I found new favourite songs to add into my current music playlist on my PC, and even got myself a free CD on those music that I love, how much better can it get?

I should make an effort to explore the world of local music scene more. In fact, many of the talents deserve better exposure and appreciation.

I love live music. Have you been to any lately?

9 comments:

  1. Can take camera in ?? ><" Nice photo Great opportunity ^^"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenyrl,
    Usually free public performance can bring camera. Paid ones/ticketed shows wont allow cameras.
    Thanks for the compliments !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. liyana from estrella!! was she performing as a singer or as a band (with members of estrella)?

    ahhh, i wish i could go! >_<

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silveravan,
    I think she was performing alone, with backup band of course. I could be wrong, but the mention was specific on her name alone.
    Come come come !! KL welcomes you with a hug ehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi robin...just stopping here and found a great shot. Nice photo.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg broo
    so epic picture qualities T.T

    i wish you could post more pics of liyana fizi so i could add more to my collection :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am the guy who identify you through the word "Olympus" haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello Anonymous,
    Thanks for the compliments on my photos. Unfortunately Liyana was the last person I photograph that afternoon, and I was too exhausted hence I only snapped a few shots of her.

    Hey Tian Chad !!!
    Fancy to see you here !! Thanks for dropping a comment. Nice to have met you too.

    ReplyDelete