Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Segambut Dalam

I am currently stationed full time at a construction site at Mont' Kiara, which is located very near to a Malay village Segambut. I have been taking the bus which travels directly from Mont' Kiara to Chow Kit (where my usual street hunting ground is), and I cannot help but notice the stretch of small road full of village life. There were small shops and huts being set up all along that small road selling alll sorts of items ranging from groceries, vegies and fruits to hardwares. It was during the off-work hours in late evening that the entire area seemed to buzz up in such lively manner it always called out to me to just walked the road and snap away with my PEN.

All images were taken with Olympus PEN E-PL1 and 14-42mm mk1 kit lens.

bicycle is a regular form of transport in a Kampung, more convenient to maneuver the smaller roads.

Rain outside a barber shop.

I love how everything is blue, except the boy's red shirt, amplifying his burst of laughter.

A very basic grocery store run by a mum.

I decided to attack Segambut today, and I walked about more than half an hour from my work location to the said small road. As I started to warm up to some of the photography opportunities there, the Photography God decided to call the day off and ordered heavy rain that poured like there was no tomorrow. I only managed to fire away less than 20 shots !! Disappointed as I was for not having a satisfying shutter therapy session after a long day of work, I know that I can always come back to the same place on another day. Nonetheless, not all was lost, I still did grab a few shots which I was quite happy about. Sometimes, quantity does not really matter, agreed?

It was indeed refreshing to divert away from my usual hunting grounds and explore new grounds. I will make a return again one day.

8 comments:

  1. "rain outside barber shop" - great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dpreview has posted a review of E-p3. There is indeed almost no improvement in DR (in JPEG, or RAW) in comparison to E-pl2.

    ISO 1600 in JPEG looks worse to me than ISO1600 with E-pl1.

    Please check it out:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusep3/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bartosz,
    Thanks for the compliments.
    About the DPreview, I have given up on their data comparisons. They also claimed E-5 to have not much improvement over E-3, and everyone sees such huge difference.
    Photographs in real life situations are more relevant to me than some lab controlled tests.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heya Robin!

    It has been a while since my last drop by but thanks for always updating your blog, I've been reading the other articles but just did not have the time to comment though I enjoy reading your entries.

    Anyway these few shots are still better than none at all, photo 1 with the man on a bike and rain outside the barber shop are real keepers!

    Btw, I can't get the E-5 DR test off my mind, the one you did with the bride which was over exposed but was still recovered using the E-5's RAW!

    I have not been able to do that for the E-520 or E-30 to same degree you did and thus am glad that their are some piple line improvements in Oly's sensors for the new models.

    Thanks again for sharing different entries to your blog each time, its a pleasure to view your work especially those street shots you nail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you keen your passion and ability to take photos of Malaysia in your style for many, many years. Sooner or later, you will produce big fat book and I will line up to buy and get your signature.

    It is not just the streets of KL that are worth taking photos of. Segambut and many many small townships are lovely - no kwei loh or foreigner will treat these people with empathy and love like you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ananda,
    You are being too kind !! Thanks for the compliments, as much as I wish that future vision of yours to happen, there is a lot of work to do, and much more to learn and experience, before it will become a reality.
    Malaysia is indeed a colourful and beautiful place. Being a photographer, we have the advantage to see it in a different way and tell the stories !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello jamie,
    Thank you so much for your compliments and encouragements, I do not deserve them really.
    About the highlight recovery, I did not quite expect it to turn out that well too, my first impression was that I have screwed up one of the most important moments of that night. Thankfully I was saved by RAW !!
    Thanks so much for your support, I really appreciate it. I am still learning and improving, especially on street photography.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very happy with what you convey this in your web. And I want to share some specific information, may be received here. previous post and I thank you for her great.
    Kami membawa sebuah informasi yang cukup menarik menurut kami, info ini berkaitan dengan apa yang di butuhkan kaum pria remaja maupun yang sudah berkeluarga. info tersebut sebagai berikut. Toko alat pembesar penis berupa vakum dan alat tarik otot.
    Selain itu Kami juga menyediakan Obat pembesar penis yang mengutamakan kesehatan, maka dari itu yang kami bawa ini sebuah ramuan Memperbesar penis yang terbuat dari bahan2 herbal alami. klik disini.
    http://goo.gl/lp6gSk

    ReplyDelete