Monday, May 16, 2011

Know Your Camera

It was the same Saturday which I have discovered my photography work in a large print inside Olympus Malaysia, that I joined a group of brave and adventurous PEN Lovers for an outing in the afternoon at Petaling Street, Kuala Lumpur. Although it was a PEN outing, I chose to bring my Olympus E-5 instead. I do not have any reason at all for my choice of camera, but I brought out what I felt like shooting with, and on that particular session, I wanted to go out with the E-5.

The time was around 3pm in the afternoon, and the shooting session lasted about 2 hours long. The sun was harsh, not exactly the best time to capture any good lighting, but I have had dinner plans on the very same evening, hence I had to cut the session short and leave by 5pm. All was good, I did manage to capture some shots which I was rather happy with.

All images were taken with Olympus E-5 and 50mm F2 Macro or 8mm F3.5 Fisheye lens.


Asking hands.
Pinhole Art Filter applied.


Heavy baggage

Securing the locks

A street passerby

A Chinese shopkeeper

In need of shade

Friendly glare

Street tailor

Against the motions

Windowframe-less

Empty bottles and an empty cup.
Dramatic Tone Art Filter applied.

Companionship

Banned wheels

Greeting Dragon

Flowerman

Adidas, is abandoned.
Dramatic Tone Art Filter applied.

Mangosteen seller

The Turban

Smack right in the middle.
Dramatic Tone Art Filter applied.
Fisheye correction applied.

Cheap Shades

Interested.


Bartosz, a friend wrote and expressed his honest thoughts on my photography work, stating that he thought I produced better images during my old days with the Olympus E-520. It did not come to me as a surprise, and I certainly have very similar thoughts for quite some time now. I have not fully gotten my hands and head around the Olympus E-5 just yet. The camera, though belongs to the same system as the E-520, is quite a different one altogether by itself. I have written here before some time ago that I am still not feeling as one with the E-5 like I did with E-520. Probably I have spent a lot more time (almost 3 years now) with the E-520, and I am still currently quite new to the E-5 (a few months with it).

Great observation dear Bartosz !!

This evidently concludes an important message: I need to know my camera, before I can use it to its fullest potential. I must spend more time with my weapon, knowing it inside out, before I can wield it and fight with it in a battle. It just does not happen all in a sudden, it takes time to really know the camera inside out.

Being good in photography is not just about how good you can take a picture, or how good your gear is.

An important part in making good photograph is about how well you use your camera/gear.


This also is the same reason why I do not understand how some people (especially new comers to photography, those still at the early learning stage)  can have so many camera systems at a same time, or choose to change the camera so quickly. It is either you have too many cameras and you do not even have the opportunity to fully master one to use it at its best, or giving up on the camera even before it can show you what it can truly do. My advise, stick to ONE camera, push it to its limits, then break its limits, grow with it, make countless awesome photographs with it, before moving on to that next camera you are eyeing on.

Each time I picked up the E-5 and shoot out there, I inch one step closer to knowing the camera better. There is no rush in photography, there is no pressure. I will do this at my own pace, and my own timing.

We all grow. We all evolve, and will continually improve in any undertakings of our lives, as long as we put our passion and heart in them.

10 comments:

  1. Greate Pictures take with your e5.
    To be honest I follow you since your posts to the e5 and didn't take a look at the older pictures. But I can say: keep on using the e5. I so mutch enyoy your work.

    Wolfgang

    Ps: what about new macros?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Wolfgang,
    Thanks so much for your kind words. A lot of my readers have been following me since my older days, some even before I used my DSLR.
    I will dive back into macro, but not for the time being. macro takes a lot more time and effort than a casual street shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you 100% Robin. Even within the same manufacturer there are differences not to mention the layout of all those buttons. But for me it is the sensor and how different each upgrade is. I am thankful each time is better but the learning curve...whoa. But it has always been that way...even with film. BTW, congrats on butterfly boy..I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Carl !!
    Thank you so much !!
    What you pointed out is true, within the same system the camera differs from one to another. It takes time to fully understand the characteristics and behaviours of the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally its because of your wonderful pictures that got sold into buying the Olympus E5. But of course it's not about the camera but the photographer who is behind using the camera. Like I've said before your pictures always looks natural and realistic and never forced. You my friend have the eye of an artist and although no one is perfect your skills shines thru every photograph you take and publish in your website. I envy you not for your gear but for your talent. Keep those pictures coming and keep reaching for the sky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello eric,
    thanks so much for such kind and encouraging remarks!! You were right, it is the photographer that matters not the gear.
    The sky still seems so far away, but one day I will be there!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "stick to ONE camera, push it to its limits, then break its limits, grow with it, make countless awesome photographs with it, before moving on to that next camera you are eyeing on".
    Thank You very,very much Robin for this wise word.Wow !!!.
    I always follow yr work and even share yr blog to my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awang,
    thanks for your generous support man, I appreciate it!! Keep that shutter clicking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tha main problem with switching between cameras often is that every camera reads light in different way. Knowing your camera means knowing what exposure correction to make. :) I know how my camera will behave in 99% situations.
    I've made 16 000 pictures in one year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Bartosz,
    Not only the differing exposure behaviour, different camera also captures colours differently, have different white balance engine. Every lens has different minimum focusing distance, different magnification ratio, and optimum focal length. Flash behaviour also varies from camera to camera.

    ReplyDelete