Thursday, March 31, 2011

I Am a Photographer

The infamous Jason Lioh wrote an article on me in the Star paper yesterday, talking on street photography.

It was my first appearance on a national paper, and I was really excited about it. It was really awkward reading about myself on the paper, but at the same time there was that warm and tingling sensation of finally feeling a little more worthy to present myself out there in the open, and ready for the world to see who I am and what I do, in photography.

Look Ma, its me on paper !!


I am still relatively new to street photography, and there are so many photographers out there who have been into the street photography game for a much longer time than I have, and obviously could do much better than what I could too. I was probably not the best person to be interviewed and did not deserve to be written for an article.

Nonetheless, there were two things highlighted in the article that nailed the spot right on:

1) Being able to share my chunk of thoughts and my passion for photography (particularly street photography) to a wider audience and

2) Opportunity to voice up on my views pertaining to the truth about the state of the streets in Kuala Lumpur, where not everything seems as glossy and classy as shown in the tourist brochures or travel magazines.


Hanging Christmas lights

A private corner.

Local hardware shop


The weirdest thing happened at work today. I was visiting a construction site where I was previously posted full time as a resident engineer there, and it was great seeing many familiar faces. I was greeted by the site agent, who immediately told me that he saw me in the newspaper article yesterday, and was surprised to see that I was involved in photography.

His subsequent question startled me a little, "Are you planning to become a photographer?"

Without skipping a beat, I responded in the most natural and assuring manner:

"I am a photographer!!"

With emphasis on the word am.

For the first time, it felt sooooooooo right saying that sentence out loud.

Special thanks to Jason Lioh. Lets go shutter therapy some time soon, yeah?

11 comments:

  1. y u no put my picture in this blog post?! RAWR!!! Haha, just kidding.

    You totally deserve it, my friend. :)

    Yes, there maybe better street photographers out there and probably shoot better street photos than you, the point is, they don't know me and I don't know them. LOL.

    I gonna blog about this too, soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come to think of it I do not have good pictures of you !! Wanna model for me next time? LOL

    Thanks mate for the article, appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imelda and Awang,
    thanks !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woot fully deserved! SG!

    LOL! We have Allen Ang and Allen Wong.. >.< LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, this recognition is well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! The article enlightened me regarding the way you see and do street photography (coming from a macro photography background), actually I would say what is different about your work and more correctly you actually do "street portraits."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jason,
    Thanks to you !!

    Peter,
    Thanks for the compliments !!

    ReplyDelete