Thursday, February 24, 2011

Jason Lioh's Birthday @ The Daily Grind

It was a beloved friend, Jason Lioh's (also known as the infamous Jasonmumbles) awesome birthday that we decided to have a feast and a catch up session on the actual day itself. Chong, Huey Yoong, Jason and I were at the Daily Grind, Bangsar Village for dinner, a place that is reputable for really good burgers.

I have just received my copy of Olympus Zuiko 8mm F3.5 Fisheye lens, couriered directly from Olympus Singapore yesterday. I have the lens at almost zero cost, as a form of payment for the use of one of my photographs in their recent advertising purposes in Singapore. What better place and time to test-drive the fisheye lens, than a friend's birthday dinner, right? All photographs in this entry were shot with Olympus E-5 with the Zuiko 8mm F3.5 fisheye.




Huey Yoong just got back from her long holiday in Japan, and she brought back Green Tea Kit Kats as souvenirs !!! Lovely.

Chong with Huey Yoong's D300 and Sigma 30mm F1.4 in action.

Chong and Huey Yoong.

Jason Lioh, the infamous Jasonmumbles on my left.

Me and Jason.

Birthday Boy, Jason and his Canon 40D.

The mushroom soup was splendid !!

Italian Mozza Burger, served with salad and fries.

Making the wish.


The dinner was delicious. I had mushroom soup, which I really liked a lot. It has been a while since I last had a good mushroom soup. The main course, which was a beef burger served with salad and fries was fantastic. I had my beef well done, since my stomach was not exactly feeling too well for the past few days. Although the beef was well done, the meat was tender and juicy, and I must say this was not easy to accomplish.

The Fisheye Lens was interesting to use. This was my first time using one extensively, and I must say I am still getting used to it, discovering its capabilities. The fact that it has 180 degrees field of view simply meant that it was not an easy lens to use, with the undesirable tendency to fit everything, and at times, too many things in a frame, which could turn out to be distractions. The barrel distortion was extreme, and most of the time worked against the intended outcome of the image. At F3.5, the aperture was not bright enough for serious low light shooting. Nonetheless, I am still wrapping myself around this new lens, and it will take a little time before I can finally maximize its full potential. At the moment, this fisheye lens has been quite a fun lens to use !!

Having great food with great company of friends, seeing the joy beaming out from Jason Lioh, it was indeed a night to cherish and remember. Jason, I wish you all the best in everything that you do, and may your gear collection expand until you have not enough room/space to store your future L-Lenses.

Remember, smile and the world will smile with you, my friend !! Happy Birthday !!

16 comments:

  1. I just discovered your blog a few days ago...It really rocks! I got the link thru Clubsnap...I am kinda cheap, so I use the Samyang 8mm fisheye in Nikon mt...I have a Nikon to M4/3 adapter to use it on my EP1 and EPL 1 bodies...I love it even though its not 180 degrees in M4/3...Can't beat the price though I guese you getting yours in trade for use of a photo is even better! I have a small blog as well, but not nearly as interesting as yours...I live on the Island of Guam and spend a lot of time in Bangkok...I hope to get down to KL some time...I would love to meet up...Cheers
    www.snakephoto.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello snake photo,
    thanks for the compliments!! I got an almost free copy of the fisheye,if I were to purchase one I would have opted for the samyang instead. Thanks for the mention of your blog, will surely check it out. If you do drop by KL give me a yell!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy bday jason!

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had the fish for about 5 years now. I have used it in areas where I cannot get the image with my 11-22. I use Fisheye Hemi to straighten out the curves. Have you heard of it? It works pretty good most of the time. It's a plug-in to Photoshop. However, your use of this lens really is inspirational. Great stuff. I never thought of using it in such a casual way. You have given me ideas! You will love this lens for weddings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Carl,
    wow, five years, thats a long time!! I ran out of opportunities to test run the lens hence the casual shooting manner. I just could not wait till the weekend. I am so looking forward to using the fish for my coming wedding assignments!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way you can call me George...George Mahlum

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello George!! Great to have you here!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this post makes me miss you guys ler..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey,

    This is a question for the webmaster/admin here at robinwong.blogspot.com.

    Can I use some of the information from this blog post above if I give a backlink back to your site?

    Thanks,
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Charlie,
    Yes you may, as long as a proper credit/backlink is provided.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete