Monday, September 27, 2010

Sunday Wide Angle Street

I started doing street photography with extremely long Olympus 70-300mm F4-5.6, which was a whooping 600mm in 35mm format equivalent on the far tele end. The advantage and flexibility of zoom provided me freedom to capture shots from quite a distance away. Nonetheless, as I did more and more street shooting, I found myself moving closer and closer to my subjects.

I have sold off the 70-300mm lens for quite some time now, to fund for the Olympus 50mm F2 macro. Using a fixed focal length (prime lens) on the street has become a new challenge. No zoom, means I have to estimate the coverage in my mind, position myself nearer or further away from the subjects to get the framing I wanted. This was a huge challenge for me, because I have always been a zoom shooter, and I have always favoured zoom over prime lenses. Nonetheless, staying within the comfort zone for too long will never get me anywhere, hence I moved from super long telephoto zoom lens to shooting primarily with 50mm only on the street.

And something weird happened lately. I usually carry both 50mm and my wide angle lens, Olympus 11-22mm F2.8-3.5 lens in my bag, just in case I wanted some wide shots. Recently, unknowingly the 50mm stayed in the camera bag most of the time. I did not even realized it until I reviewed my shots, I have been shooting more and more with 11-22mm, the wide angle lens !!

Start the day with a Camwhore.


What the citizens use the benches on the streets for.

Shop's closed.

What kids these days have been trained for. I cannot imagine the cruelty we are putting them through.

There was a marathon by McDonald's at the field.

Say YES to junk food.

I hope that innocent smile stays with you 10 years from now.

Some interesting street art works.

I don't really know what that is, but it sure looks nice.

Goodness, they even have a website !

An eyebrow-raising advert.

The blinds attacked the street too.

A loaf of bread on a hand.

Political art.

Sharing food.

Dude, have you not learned? War never ends.

Thou shall not drinketh from this water tapeth.

Motionless.

Ok I really think this blog is starting to become non-halal.

Meow !!

Fisheye view of Gerald and Robin

The newly renovated Sikh Temple.

Makes you wonder why the kid was standing next to the door in a back-alley.

One can find comfort on the street too.

Well, at least the tiles are smooth, right?

I know I still have a long way to go to improve in street photography. I want to be versatile, I want to be flexible. And most important of all, I want to shoot from my own thoughts and emotions, capturing my vision in my photographs. Yes, I am still learning, and I shall do it step by step.

This shutter therapy session was done with a dear friend Gerald Wong on one fine Sunday morning. Do check out his photos from this same session here (click). He has some really nice photos posted there. Thanks Gerald for being there accompanying me on the streets. Sometimes, shooting alone can be quite depressing.

4 comments:

  1. I think you're selling yourself short... these photos are amazing. It is like flipping through a book of short stories. I wish I have a quarter of the skills you possess. Being able to capture those shots shows how much you're in touch with the street. Keep it up Robin
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew,
    Thanks so much for the kind words. I really appreciate them.
    Yes, it is very true what you say, to be in touch with the street, blending in as if I am part of it is very important to be able to produce natural 'as if you are there' photographs. It is not easy though, but I shall constantly find ways to improve myself.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the angle on the Motionless shot. Such dynamics there ! and stop meow-ing at the wrong things !..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rustie,
    Thanks !! that motionless shot was taken at a ridiculously dangerous close distance !! Less than half a meter away ahahaha..
    LOL !! Whenever I see dogs I go meowing ahahaa

    ReplyDelete