Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Don't Miss Practice

Don't miss practice.
Practice good technique.
Don't cheat yourself.
Don't give in.
Don't give up.
Don't settle for less.
Work through the pains and disappointments.



You'll be a better photographer


Kirk Tuck, a Texas based professional photographer blogged recently about how important it is to continuously keep oneself in shape, when it comes to photography. Staying in tip top form is crucial, and getting to know the camera inside out, every buttons, synchronizing every muscle of your body with your techniques to execute the photography ideas you visualize in your head: it takes a massive amount of practice and an immensely strict discipline to stay in and ahead of the game.


Ballroom @ Marriott Hotel, Putrajaya. A panorama stitched photograph of 6 separate shots, combined in Hugin. Each photos taken with Olympus 11-22mm F2.8-3.5 lens, at 11mm, 1/15 sec, F/2.8, ISO800, Handheld.

I cannot agree more with his statements. I always believe that the more you use the camera, the more you are in tuned with it, and the more you will learn about good photography techniques. Along the process of countless shooting sessions, you develop good sense of photography vision, and you will improve. No matter how small the step is, each time you release the shutter of your camera, something clicks in you too and you will travel that bit further. All you have to do, is go out and make photographs. All I really want to do, is to kill my eagerness to go out and have my shutter therapy sessions. Yes, it kills me to skip even one session.

I see photography more as a lifestyle now, a way of spending my time. Many of you may see this as a waste of time. I do not exactly expect non photography-enthusiasts to truly understand the rewards we reap from the shutter therapy sessions. There is so much positive energy that keeps adding on and accumulate over time through photography as a serious hobby. Shooting with a camera is psychologically and emotionally healing, while we search our minds and hearts to express ourselves through our photography works, which in turn we share with people around us. There is a lot more going on than just clicking the camera.

Fresh.

Camera is not meant to be left at home, untouched. It is a powerful tool, to be used to record humanity and its world in action. I do feel that every single day without taking a photograph, something is missing. If I do not come home with the photographs I have wanted to create, the day is not complete. Sometimes I just wish I have the flexibility and freedom to do just that.

Looking at my photographs, I know in my heart this journey in photography is a long, long road. I am merely taking just the initial step or two into this world. There is so much more to explore, so much more to learn. So much more to experience, and definitely, so many more beautiful photographs to make happen. The excitement I get every single time I come across this thought added to the insatiable itch on my hands to just instantly grab the camera and head out shooting.


Glittering golden liquid.

To go further, and climb the ladder, I must, from now on discipline myself to pick up the camera more and more often. I shall dedicate myself, put my all, my heart and soul into what I shoot. I will do my very best. I will climb, I will crawl, I will do whatever it takes, no matter how long it takes, to be a better photographer.

7 comments:

  1. salute!~ well said..somehow encourage me as well.. but ur photos really..wow.. i'm nowhere near you..nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Oyama,
    Thanks very much man for the kind words.
    But aiyooo, cannot compare like that one. I have started a lot longer than you have. Looking at what you can do now, you are learning and improving very well. Lets go shoot together again some time !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow u are so hardworking! your shots are so good already but yet u want to progress further. a true master!

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Now, that pano is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey marcus,
    Thanks mate. But my shots are so far from being good !! Lots more to learn.

    Hey Ananda,
    Thanks !! More luck that skill involved in that pano shot ahhahha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bad robin... dishing out 11-22 poison... :P

    By the way, it's a very nicely taken pano! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey compmac,
    thanks mate !!
    I do think that for a Pano shot, 11-22mm is not necessary, any standard zoom lens will do !! Blu even did superb pano with his 25mm panaleica.

    ReplyDelete