Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Clasped on Jaws of a Wasp

On one glorious Sunday morning, I woke up to a buzzing sound of a wasp, hovering just outside my bedroom window. It made a stop on the window frame, and I hurried to my camera bag to pull out the camera. Thankfully the Olympus 50mm F2 macro lens was already mounted on it, and I fired away at the insect mercilessly.

I could not get as close as I liked, because the wasp actually stood at the outer edge of the window frame, and I had to extend my arm with the camera away from my body, out of the window. What a stunt, considering a fatal move would mean everything going down four storeys onto cold, hard, concrete landing. Ouch, is an understatement.


Shot in Aperture Priority mode, at F2, at ISO 200, with Auto-focus. All natural lighting.

I really loved the shot in many ways. First of all, there was that poor ant caught in the mouth of that wasp !! The wasp was generally black in colour, and the backlit situation accentuated the threatening black figure, while effectively isolating the attention to the red coloured prey, the ant. The overall lighting condition made the subject pop out somehow, especially the glowing shine on the head/eye area of the wasp.

Sometimes, we do not have to go far to find photography subjects. They come knocking on your bedroom window, literally.

5 comments:

  1. It's an excellent pic! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi chif !!
    Thanks !! I am still itchy for macro obviously ahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one mean picture. :D

    "Only the strongest will survive. Now die!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow neat! This is a really great site! I am wondering if anyone else has come across something
    exactly the same in the past? Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey jasonmumbles,
    LOL !! All hail Shishio !!

    ReplyDelete