Monday, June 28, 2010

Why I Love Olympus Still


It is coming to two years now since I first held my first DSLR, which was an Olympus. Till this day, I have been shooting with Olympus E-System and have never looked elsewhere.

I am currently using Olympus E-520 DSLR body, coupled with 11-22mm F2.8-3.5 super wide angle lens, and a 70-300mm F4-5.6 long tele-zoom lens. I shoot mainly as a casual hobby-ist, and I categorize myself as a photo-enthusiast. Since I do not shoot for professional purposes, my current entry level DSLR-system set-up is more than enough to fulfill my shutter-therapy needs.

Love the blue skies opening up to the cityscape. The naturally "polarized" sky effect can happen with a wide angle lens.

A good example of why I like Olympus colors so much. You do not even need to boost the saturation, the colors just naturally come out to you.

A view from the top of the pedestrian crossing overhead bridge. One of the shortcomings of Olympus is the limited dynamic range. The shady areas on the left side have lost details which was not able to be recovered.


Why strain yourself walking around with a huge and heavy camera system? Choose Olympus !! You wont even feel a thing after walking the streets for hours.

Olympus lenses are known for their perfection, and this is evidently shown in their resistance towards flare. Shooting against the sun, with the hood removed and a cheap china filter attached, this was the best I could come out with. The photos still came out sharp from corner to corner, and the flaring was only very minimal.

I know I know, some of you may roll your eyes at me and say "oh no, not another round of brand-worshipping!". To cut things short, and minimize commentary notes which could sound entirely innocent but insulting at the same time to certain group of people who choose to see it the insulting way, lets just crop it down to points. Here are the reasons why I have chosen Olympus E-System, had many wonderful moments with Olympus and still love using it for two years now.

1) Colors - when it comes to blue and green, Olympus is the winner. The shades of blue rendered by Olympus is something to marvel at. I would not say Olympus produces the most natural (close to real life) looking photographs, but the overall color rendition has the "pop" quality.

2) Skin tone - Olympus is people friendly. The color tone on the skin captured and presented by Olympus is really pleasing and comfortable to look at.

3) Size/Weight to performance ratio - Olympus cameras and lenses are small. Like, really small compared to many other DSLR systems out there. I have the two lenses and one camera body sitting in a sling bag, weighing less than 2kg, and you could probably chuck an external flash into it and still weighs less than 2kg.

Pushing the shadow adjustment (gradation set to auto) to recover details at the shadowy areas at the row of shops towards the right of the frame. Under such high contrast areas, it is difficult to come up with a well balanced shot. Nonetheless, I am not so troubled by this shortcomings, since I can choose to do a Pseudo-HDR to counter the problem. Do note this was not a Pseudo-HDR shot.

Another lens perfection cringe I have over Olympus, would be how distortion free the lens is. There is negligible amount of barrel distortion (only those technical freak can make out of the distortion) but of course, perspective distortion still occurs as you shift the lens towards lower or higher angle. There are just times I want some distortion to add drama in my photos. That was mostly the time when the inner Anti-technical-freak of me speaking out.

Convenient store. Who needs 7-11 anyway?

I do wish I have a Fisheye lens for this shot !! The outcome would have been very different. Oh yes, I am coming back to my optical fetishes now, and one of them is the abandoned vehicles.

In some twisted, comical way, this scene truthfully paints how my life is right now. Being wrecked is an understatement.



4) Versatility - I can cover from a super wide angle of 11mm to an extremely long zoom end of 300mm. That is approximately 30x zoom range, with just two lenses. The extra wideness of the wide angle lens enabled me to add more creative perspectives to my photographs, and the long zoom allows me to reach to far places which would usually be restricted. With proper planning and execution, the photo-opportunities are endless with this deadly combination !!

5) Quality lenses - Olympus has been known to produce consistently high performance and sharp lenses. Yet the lenses do not cost a bomb. Many parties have rated Olympus lenses highly, and having used the lenses I must say it never failed to deliver consistently great images. Comparatively, Olympus lenses, especially the standard grade lenses (the one relevant to me, since I can afford the lower range) are priced much lower than other brands. Spend less, and you get more out of your lenses. What is not to like?

6) Reliability - This may not be an actual statistics, but just a very crude observation. I can safely say I have known more Olympus users than other brand users now. Even so, I hear more problems concerning DSLR cameras and lenses from other brands, having the need to be sent to the service centre for servicing and repair, at some cases, multiple times in just a course of the first year of camera purchase. I know this does not really equate to overall production quality, but hearing great stories of Olympus camera survivals (head over here for the stories), somehow gives me more confidence and assurance to go on and make that shot happen.

I know, I know, the mirror sticking out is a big no no in this frame. But this shot meant something to me. I usually would stay away from security guards, police, or people with authority to avoid trouble, just one of the rules I observe on the streets. However, this guy called out to me from quite a far distance, and gestured in a way to beg me to snap a photo of him. I shot him from across a small road, and gave him a thumbs up as I moved along.
If you want to know how sharp the 70-300mm F4-5.6 lens is, lets just say it is sharp enough I can visibly read his full name, IC number, and his security identification number on that tag he was wearing, with the image zoomed in of course.


A backlit situation will usually render most shots useless, not only causing the front subjects to be dark, but also losing details and sharpness on the overall frame. This is not the case, and the background may be overexposed, but the front subject which is the main focus of this frame, came out pleasantly sharp.

An example of Olympus skin tone. Generally I just love Olympus skin tone.

A tourist. I would recommend using the Internet for information. And spend that RM50 on a really good few rounds of tantalizingly yummy mamak food instead of that lousy book.


7) Value for money - Some people justify their photography ego by spending on really, really expensive camera bodies and lenses. As for me, I am happy with my low-end DSLR system. Though it may lag behind in terms of all other things like ISO performance, AF speed and what nots, but I am happy to live with the shortcomings. If you have that extra RM10k to fork out for a professional set, then go ahead. I do not, hence I opted value-for-money system, which is the Olympus.

8) Awesome Straight of camera JPEG - For those of you folks who love things to just instantly pop out from the camera with minimal processing and editing, then Olympus may be just the best to offer in this area. Just randomly flip through any review site online, they all refer to Olympus JPEG as being the best, squeezing every single detail out of the sensor, with faithful colours and very accurate exposures. I have shot JPEG most of the time, and even the JPEG has incredible latitude when it comes to processing flexibility.

I like how the 300mm reach of the long zoom lens (600mm equivalent on 35mm format) can get me shots like this, without the guy wanting to beat me up with the broom.

A puff while lying on the walkway. Who cares if you obstruct people walking by, right?

Ok, I am officially a sniper, since I use a super long lens and shoot from quite a long distance away. Yes, I have always been good with that 4-6 sniper riffle AWP gun in Counter Strike. One shot, one kill. Pun intended.

I know my opinions may be rather personal, but hey, the bottom lime is, I have really enjoyed myself tremendously throughout my course of using the Olympus. In case you are wondering, no I was not paid to write this up. The camera system has become part of my lifestyle now, and it has greatly defined who I am, and I express myself freely through photography. Being able to do so has created an entirely new way of perceiving, and interacting with life. And I simply, love doing that !!

9 comments:

  1. Inspiring and convincing. Good stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. olympus should pay u!

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey marcus,
    Yes ! I agree !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree too! I shall continue to put in good words for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey david,
    thanks david!!! but I don't think I deserve it !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi robin,
    Maybe we should go outing together la bro when I come back to Malaysia..loads of stuff I can learn from you..:) What is your E-520 setting by the way..maybe I can tiru...
    I'm still with the two kit lens..no additional lens yet :)...

    Nice post bro!..

    roger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey roger,
    Thanks very much for the compliments !!
    Anytime in KL you can find me, I will try my best to make time for you. Would be nice to shoot together too.
    About the settings and all, I shall get back to you via email. It is too much to post here.

    May I have your email? Or get to me at hamish7ian@gmail.com

    Cheers !!

    ReplyDelete